JD 4 cylinder E Tractors ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Very few M models around here, but a lot of lightly used E series FEL tractors. Been looking at the E specs. The weight jumps from about 8,000 to 14,000 pounds when you move from 5000 to 6000 series. Looks like they all have 4.5 L engines, but the fuel systems vary. As you go up about 15 hp per model the list price jumps U$S 5000 to 8,000. Seems like a lot for a different fuel system setup...

Is the best used value would be a lower hp 6000 series like the 6105 E ? For some reason they have lower resale auction price % of list. Any ideas here?

Where are the E's made? The M's are made in Manheim, Germany. If your going to beat it like a loader tractor get a 6000. I know a cow calf / feed lot guy that has a 6105M. He says it's pretty bullet proof.

If the agility doesn't bother you I would lean towards a 6 series. Just a lot more tractor there. Also keep an eye on torque numbers. That is where the difference is in a lot of these tractors. Same hp is no where near the same power if you take 20% of the torque away. As to the price difference your guess is as good as mine. How does a 5101 compare price wise to a 6105?

Smoother means more torque, or less bucking going down the road, or ?
Smoother all the way around, the 5083E is a good tractor but its short rough riding, (just bought a air ride seat pedestal for it tired of getting my butt beat) , cab is not a nice (louder) controls more generic. The 6130- longer, heavier, radial tires on the M, controls smoother and handier, self leveling loader is a must, and better options on the tranny.

................., self leveling loader is a must, ..................
Not a JD, but I recently bought my first tractor with a self leveling loader on it and hope I never have another one. You lose too much range of motion with the mechanical self levelers, there's not enough curl back at the top of the lift cycle. I can barely set a hay ring over the top of a round bale with the hay forks, this instance is a Quicke loader on a 105hp McCormick.

Not a JD, but I recently bought my first tractor with a self leveling loader on it and hope I never have another one. You lose too much range of motion with the mechanical self levelers, there's not enough curl back at the top of the lift cycle. I can barely set a hay ring over the top of a round bale with the hay forks, this instance is a Quicke loader on a 105hp McCormick.

I feel the same way. Tried several and it just seems like no matter what you end up fighting them. Has more drawbacks than advantages IMO.

I feel the same way. Tried several and it just seems like no matter what you end up fighting them. Has more drawbacks than advantages IMO.
Yup. Not to mention twice the pivot points and reduced visibility.

Latest posts