Fastest Growing Breed Cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":265u34c2 said:
Stocker Steve":265u34c2 said:
Caustic Burno":265u34c2 said:
You maximize at 3 crosses and start regression at 4. It is not just getting any 3 breeds either.

Locally we have a lot of small operations here that buy black bulls. Usually angus, always black... Red herds are uncommon but they are increasing slowly.
We have a couple operations that are sim angus, but few of their replacements are F1s. A lot of 5/8 and 3/4 bloods. Basically a breed up deal that may use angus sires on heifers.
We have one operation that runs both angus and herf to create F1s, which get bred back to angus.

So why so few commercial three breed or 3 sire rotations?
biggest reason Is,having to use ""keep"" multiple Bulls...

Another reason is you buy replacement F-1 heifers cows. You don't retain heifers to maximize hybred vigor.

Tons of info here

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific ... _D_G_Riley

WalnutCrest":3bqzssud said:
If that's directed at me, I'm proposing a three (or four) breed rotation. Whay are you talking about?

https://futurebeef.com.au/knowledge-cen ... ef-cattle/

This article explains a three-breed rotational cross. The chart shows a 20% weight gain over breeding a bull and cow of the same breed together.

The three-breed cross seems to work best with more than 23% weight gain over straight breeding. It also seems pretty simple. Use cross-bred cows and a purebred bull with three unrelated breeds in the mix and you will get good growth.

ALACOWMAN":c0tecrnf said:

Just two bull breeds are needed if they want to produce their own F1 crosses and then breed them, correct? I suppose it is much more complicated on a large operation.

Or they could buy F1 replacement heifers and only need to keep one breed of bull.

Bullitt":3jmcekvp said:
ALACOWMAN":3jmcekvp said:

Just two bull breeds are needed if they want to produce their own F1 crosses and then breed them. correct? I suppose it is much more complicated on a large operation.

Or they could buy F1 replacement heifers and only need to keep one breed of bull.
Actually it's more complicated for the smaller producers, For more Bulls.. I used Herefords , and Both red and black Simmental ...but only used one bull at a time.had to raise my own replacement though ,,if you want Bradford F1s here ....worked out pretty good...

ALACOWMAN":163096iw said:
Actually it's more complicated for the smaller producers, For more Bulls.. I used Herefords , and Both red and black Simmental ...but only used one bull at a time.had to raise my own replacement though

Tried initially using multiple AI bulls on a put together herd to produce F1 replacements. Lots and lots of variability. The trailer improved the herd more than AI. :nod:
Went to F1 bulls to produce 1/4 blood replacements. Better, but still lots of variability.
Now looking to sorting into breeding herds and using full blood bulls for 3 sire rotation. Should work OK if you are already cross fenced for MIG, and don't have a hang up with every heifer being a F1.

WalnutCrest":16noyywk said:
It's easy ...

AI for replacements in the three breed rotation ... fourth breed for terminal...

AI is probably the cheapest way to get the best quality replacements.

Do you use a bull to create terminal calves? Or do you use AI for terminal calves also?

[Breed Pimp Alert]

What I'm saying, for example only, is:

Step 1 -- Red Angus cows get AI'd to a Brahman bull with a Brahman bull as cleanup ... keep all your F1 heifers, maybe sell a nice Red Brangus bull or two, and the rest go to someone else.

Step 2 -- AI the same red Angus cows to the same or different Brahman bull for more F1s ... AI the red Brangus heifers to an Aubrac bull ... and run a black Angus bull on top as cleanup (mainly so it's super easy to tell which calves go to market) ... where all AI heifers are retained (except dinks and grumpy cattle) and all live cover calves are sold to other farms or to feed lots.

Step 3 -- AI the red Angus cows to a Brahman bull ... the F1s to and Aubrac bull to make F2s ... the F2s (Aubrac x Red Brangus) to Mashona ... and run a black bull on top as cleanup

Step 4 -- continue the same protocol as before ... except the F3s get AId back to a red Angus bull.

Continue ad infinitum.

This gives you:

Bow Taurus - British
X
Bos Indicus
X
Bos Taurus - Continental
X
Bos Sanga

= maximum hetetosis

And, if black calves are what you want for the sale barn, you shouldn't care what color your cows are as long as your terminal bulls are homo black.

Your goal should be to have the most efficient, fertile, healthy mama cows. After all, it's easy to paint calves black...

[/Breed Pump Alert]

And if you don't like those breeds, use others (Hereford, Nelore, Charolais and Tuli) ... wherever floats your boat.

If it were me, I think I'd use Murray Grey (British), Aubrac (Continental), Grey Brahman (Indicus) and Mashona (Sanga).

The light skin color will help with forage persistence. They're all hardy, long lived cattle. All but Brahman are known for good eating. The hetetosis should be compelling.

WalnutCrest":1f9ic31y said:
[Breed Pimp Alert]

What I'm saying, for example only, is:

Step 1 -- Red Angus cows get AI'd to a Brahman bull with a Brahman bull as cleanup ... keep all your F1 heifers, maybe sell a nice Red Brangus bull or two, and the rest go to someone else.

Step 2 -- AI the same red Angus cows to the same or different Brahman bull for more F1s ... AI the red Brangus heifers to an Aubrac bull ... and run a black Angus bull on top as cleanup (mainly so it's super easy to tell which calves go to market) ... where all AI heifers are retained (except dinks and grumpy cattle) and all live cover calves are sold to other farms or to feed lots.

Step 3 -- AI the red Angus cows to a Brahman bull ... the F1s to and Aubrac bull to make F2s ... the F2s (Aubrac x Red Brangus) to Mashona ... and run a black bull on top as cleanup

Step 4 -- continue the same protocol as before ... except the F3s get AId back to a red Angus bull.

Continue ad infinitum.

This gives you:

Bow Taurus - British
X
Bos Indicus
X
Bos Taurus - Continental
X
Bos Sanga

= maximum hetetosis

And, if black calves are what you want for the sale barn, you shouldn't care what color your cows are as long as your terminal bulls are homo black.

Your goal should be to have the most efficient, fertile, healthy mama cows. After all, it's easy to paint calves black...

[/Breed Pump Alert]

And if you don't like those breeds, use others (Hereford, Nelore, Charolais and Tuli) ... wherever floats your boat.

If it were me, I think I'd use Murray Grey (British), Aubrac (Continental), Grey Brahman (Indicus) and Mashona (Sanga).

The light skin color will help with forage persistence. They're all hardy, long lived cattle. All but Brahman are known for good eating. The hetetosis should be compelling.

Yep, simple. :)

It seems that using cross-bred cows and breeding them to a purebred bull is easier and, according to that article I linked in this thread, a three-breed cross gives calves a little more growth than a three-way rotational cross.

A person can buy the Braford heifers/cows mentioned and own a continental breed of bull to breed them to. Each year some replacement Braford heifers would need to be purchased and older cows sold off.

WalnutCrest":2vbr57wl said:
It's easy ... AI for replacements in the three breed rotation ... fourth breed for terminal...

Lets have some more fun with math for those who raise their own replacements:
15% cow herd replacement rate, could be higher
33% of calves are select heifers, could be lower
.15/.33=45% of herd being bred AI for replacements, call it half

So we split the cow herd into two - - half AI bred for replacements with terminal clean up bull and half terminal bull bred. Is this what you propose?

In this scenario, I don't think you breed to make your own replacements unless you have another set of purebred cows to make the F1's as your replacements would be a 3 way cross and the resultant calves would have less heterosis unless WalnutCrest is on to something. Am I missing something?

The Hereford X Angus that produces the Black Baldies seems to be a good cross. Why do two British breeds cross so well?

If Black Baldies are then bred to a continental European bull such as a Simmental, is that a good three-breed cross?

Also, if Black Baldies are bred to a homozygous black Simmental, would the calves be all black or would there still be white on the face?

Bullitt":8bn2tos3 said:
The Hereford X Angus that produces the Black Baldies seems to be a good cross. Why do two British breeds cross so well?

If Black Baldies are then bred to a continental European bull such as a Simmental, is that a good three-breed cross?

Also, if Black Baldies are bred to a homozygous black Simmental, would the calves be all black or would there still be white on the face?
I have one left that is a blaze face,,out of 3 sired by a homozygous black simm.. Her dam was a brangus baldy...ill ""try"""for a pic..

ALACOWMAN":2r0hzj4o said:
Bullitt":2r0hzj4o said:

I have one left that is a blaze face,,out of 3 sired by a homozygous black simm.. Her dam was a brangus baldy...ill ""try"""for a pic..

Does the Hereford X Angus work well? I mean do you get good hybrid heterosis with that cross? I know Black Baldies are popular. Also, do you get good heterosis with the Hereford X Brangus?

Bullitt":1od11wgp said:
ALACOWMAN":1od11wgp said:
Bullitt":1od11wgp said:

Does the Hereford X Angus work well? I mean do you get good hybrid heterosis with that cross? I know Black Baldies are popular. Also, do you get good heterosis with the Hereford X Brangus?
side by side here,I'd go with the brangus-Hereford... Performance in my environment, heat tolerance and milking can be compromised,,,up north I'd go with angus/Hereford of course for obvious reasons.. Other than that,I'd take either.. Like both..but there's several other reasons why..heterosis depends a lot on the parents too.. But it won't do them any good in the wrong enviroment.. Bout be better off just using a straight bred

ALACOWMAN":1g94g2oh said:
Bullitt":1g94g2oh said:
ALACOWMAN":1g94g2oh said:

side by side here,I'd go with the brangus-Hereford... Performance in my environment, heat tolerance and milking can be compromised,,,up north I'd go with angus/Hereford of course for obvious reasons.. Other than that,I'd take either.. Like both..but there's several other reasons why..heterosis depends a lot on the parents too.. But it won't do them any good in the wrong enviroment.. Bout be better off just using a straight bred

The only way to beat a baldy cow is with a stick. She crosses with anything.

They come in red too.

gcreekrch":3tbnyp2g said:
ALACOWMAN":3tbnyp2g said:
Bullitt":3tbnyp2g said:

They come in red too.
yep, :nod: and a cross I'd like to dabble in.. But I hate chasing rabbits...

gcreekrch":2tuffld4 said:
ALACOWMAN":2tuffld4 said:
Bullitt":2tuffld4 said:

They come in red too.

I was curious why crossing two British breeds works so well. I am guessing Angus and Hereford are not closely related.

I also understand the Brangus X Hereford would work better in the South.

It seems if you cross an Angus or Brangus with a Hereford and get a baldy or super baldy, and then cross those heifers with a continental breed like a black Simmental you would have mostly black cattle to satisfy the market and hopefully get the heterosis of a three-breed cross. It may not be as good as the Braford X continental cross (in the South) that was discussed, but I would guess it would be a pretty good cross. It may also be a cross that works well in more regions of the country.

ALACOWMAN":25mrr64u said:
gcreekrch":25mrr64u said:
ALACOWMAN":25mrr64u said:

They come in red too.
yep, :nod: and a cross I'd like to dabble in.. But I hate chasing rabbits...

The red ones? Lots of good Red Angus bulls out there. In general they aren't as stupid as the black ones are either.

Latest posts