Fastest Growing Breed Cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

poorfarmer":1p0is5fs said:
Question for those of you utilizing cross breeding. Do any of you retain and finish your cattle? I was wondering how they grade out when selling to the packers.

Each breed generally grades differently. So I am pretty sure each cross will grade differently.

The British breeds, such as Angus, Hereford, and Shorthorn, generally have the highest marbling in the meat. So crosses using British breeds would have more marbling. This may be another reason the Angus X Hereford (Black Baldy) is so popular.

Bullitt":1lyrjydf said:
poorfarmer":1lyrjydf said:
Question for those of you utilizing cross breeding. Do any of you retain and finish your cattle? I was wondering how they grade out when selling to the packers.

Each breed generally grades differently. So I am pretty sure each cross will grade differently.

The British breeds, such as Angus, Hereford, and Shorthorn, generally have the highest marbling in the meat. So crosses using British breeds would have more marbling. This may be another reason the Angus X Hereford (Black Baldy) is so popular.
and faster to finish...you get the growth using a terminal type back on them,Not sure they'll grade as well but,more carcass...

Caustic Burno":pp6k1cx2 said:
I supply the buyer with what they want

You loose money on the heavier calves to the order buyer is why.
You have to watch what they are wanting. I have seen 4wts bring as much or more than 7's.in total dollars.
The 4 to 6 has always been the optimum here putting the most folding money in your billfold.
We'll right now you need to hold your calves till their 700+ lb if you have feed and hay. A 700lb steer is only $0.15 behind a 500lb steer. Doing the same ole thing can cost you money in the cattle business.

True Grit Farms":3ecsntr0 said:
We'll right now you need to hold your calves till their 700+ lb if you have feed and hay. A 700lb steer is only $0.15 behind a 500lb steer.

Futures market is a bit shaky, and I think a lot of folks want cattle that can finish late this spring in time for the grilling season. My spring steer calves grow wheels next week. Have been feeding 3 times a day during this -20 ****... Only thing that makes them happy in this weather is new bedding. :nod:

Stocker Steve":2qtph7ge said:
True Grit Farms":2qtph7ge said:
We'll right now you need to hold your calves till their 700+ lb if you have feed and hay. A 700lb steer is only $0.15 behind a 500lb steer.

Futures market is a bit shaky, and I think a lot of folks want cattle that can finish late this spring in time for the grilling season. My spring steer calves grow wheels next week. Have been feeding 3 times a day during this -20 be nice...
Steve what's your cost per pound of gain?

True Grit Farms":29ppsfu3 said:
Caustic Burno":29ppsfu3 said:

You have to watch what they are wanting. I have seen 4wts bring as much or more than 7's.in total dollars.
The 4 to 6 has always been the optimum here putting the most folding money in your billfold.
We'll right now you need to hold your calves till their 700+ lb if you have feed and hay. A 700lb steer is only $0.15 behind a 500lb steer. Doing the same ole thing can cost you money in the cattle business.

No one is doing it the small ole way it might surprise you we know how to use a pencil as well.
That 5 wt will bring you .30 to.50 over that 7 wt right now on a grade calf.
Holding calves longer you fail the IQ test.

Caustic Burno":2dcgri3m said:
True Grit Farms":2dcgri3m said:
Caustic Burno":2dcgri3m said:

No one is doing it the small ole way it might surprise you we know how to use a pencil as well.
Feeder Bulls Medium and Large 2
Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
278-295 285 170.00-177.00 175.68
334-345 336 160.00-169.00 163.89
355-385 373 158.00-162.00 161.32
435-445 440 156.00-157.00 156.67
475-495 485 138.00-146.00 141.92
505-545 522 132.00-136.00 135.02
655-685 670 123.00-124.00 123.49
Really blow smoke up someone else's but, maybe you need a new pair of glasses? Or some more KY? I'm feeding mine at a cost of $0.50 a day and their gaining good.

True Grit Farms":31gk30zo said:
Caustic Burno":31gk30zo said:
True Grit Farms":31gk30zo said:

Feeder Bulls Medium and Large 2
Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
278-295 285 170.00-177.00 175.68
334-345 336 160.00-169.00 163.89
355-385 373 158.00-162.00 161.32
435-445 440 156.00-157.00 156.67
475-495 485 138.00-146.00 141.92
505-545 522 132.00-136.00 135.02
655-685 670 123.00-124.00 123.49
Really blow smoke up someone else's but, maybe you need a new pair of glasses? Or some more KY? I'm feeding mine at a cost of $0.50 a day and their gaining good.

I forgot it was the Grit God.
Your prices have never been as good as
ours but you can't wrap your paranoia around one size doesn't fit all.

http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/month ... et-report/

Popular press is claiming about U$S 0.60 to 0.65 with current feed prices. I think that is for well managed yards. I am trying to move in that direction. Zero death loss helps.

Most years (perhaps not 2017-2018) we get a nice feeder price run up from November (when my May/June calves are 5 to 6 wt.) to January. So you need to look at the pounds gained and the timing. I have left them out on artic pasture and make a little money during that time period, but sometimes needed a snowmobile to bring in the herd. Nothing like haired up calves kicking up their heels in powdery snow.

I am on a new yard feeding program this fall - - tested hay and tested corn silage and had a custom ration worked up. Very educational. Now I am feeding a lot more concentrate and they are free choicing almost no hay. My scale is froze down so we will see how they weigh up at the barn... If I don't like the answer then I will blame the weather. Can't be me. ;-)

Time to go out and see if the silo unloader works. It's only -11 F so we are in a heat wave.

Stocker Steve":1sb0wx6f said:
Popular press is claiming about U$S 0.60 to 0.65 with current feed prices. I think that is for well managed yards. I am trying to move in that direction. Zero death loss helps.

Most years (perhaps not 2017-2018) we get a nice feeder price run up from November (when my May/June calves are 5 to 6 wt.) to January. So you need to look at the pounds gained and the timing. I have left them out on artic pasture and make a little money during that time period, but sometimes needed a snowmobile to bring in the herd. Nothing like haired up calves kicking up their heels in powdery snow.

I am on a new yard feeding program this fall - - tested hay and tested corn silage and had a custom ration worked up. Very educational. Now I am feeding a lot more concentrate and they are free choicing almost no hay. My scale is froze down so we will see how they weigh up at the barn... If I don't like the answer then I will blame the weather. Can't be me. ;-)

Time to go out and see if the silo unloader works. It's only -11 F so we are in a heat wave.
dang unloaders! can drive a guy crazy!

did it work?

how about corriente bred charolais, pound for pound it might win. i believe your from texas too so if your in rough country that cross would be real good

ALACOWMAN":7y7ok9uh said:
Brahman F1 Cow ,bred to Simmental or Charolais..

Charolais x F1 Simbrah

I've posted a few photos of those ugly, spotted, funky colored crosses that will flip a trailer when they step thru the back gate.

JWBrahman":niw3pjmi said:
ALACOWMAN":niw3pjmi said:

Charolais x F1 Simbrah

I've posted a few photos of those ugly, spotted, funky colored crosses that will flip a trailer when they step thru the back gate.

Do you use a Charolais bull on Simmental X Brahman cows?

The only problem I see is that Charolais and Simmental are both continental European breeds, so you are not getting as much hybrid vigor as you would if you used a British bull on the Simbrah cows. If you used a homozygous black Angus bull on the Simbrah cows, you would also get calves that are black, or mostly black. That color would sell better in most places.

What do you think?

MtnCows93":18emmxxn said:
how about corriente bred charolais, pound for pound it might win. i believe your from texas too so if your in rough country that cross would be real good

Corriente and Texas Longhorn are closely related. I agree that this cross, or similar crosses, could work well, especially in dry country. I like the Charolais cross. I have seen a Charolais bull crossed with Texas Longhorn cows that produced mostly pale yellow calves. Unfortunately the black cattle are generally selling for higher prices in most areas.

If I were going to use Corriente/Longhorn, I would cross them with a Brangus bull. That would produce beefier calves that are very hardy. Then I would cross those heifers with a homozygous black European bull, such as a Limousin or Simmental, to produce black calves that would grow very well and sell very well at market.

Bullitt":25jue7iw said:
JWBrahman":25jue7iw said:
ALACOWMAN":25jue7iw said:

Charolais x F1 Simbrah

Do you use a Charolais bull on Simmental X Brahman cows?

The only problem I see is that Charolais and Simmental are both continental European breeds, so you are not getting as much hybrid vigor as you would if you used a British bull on the Simbrah cows. If you used a homozygous black Angus bull on the Simbrah cows, you would also get calves that are black, or mostly black. That color would sell better in most places.

What do you think?

I used to partner with my cousin running Charolais bulls on commercial cows. A big cow produces a big calf that grows well. The specifics can vary.

The fastest growing calves that work for me are Black Angus x Brahman F1's.

Now I am partnered with a group from LSU. We are using Angus bulls on 3/4 British 1/4 Brahman cows. We get better prices with less hassle for the smaller black calves.