Farm sanctuary won't give up two cows that wondered on their property back to the rightful owner.

Help Support CattleToday:

There must be No evidence or it would've been quickly resolved.
Gregson never said he had any cattle missing until after SPCA contacted him after 8-9 days to ask.... then it's, yes they are mine and appears he never made any effort to contact neighbors to ask if they saw his cows or contact le to report stolen cattle.

Doesn't appear the law is burning any time on it because it appears they've determined it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter.
I suppose that's true. Something doesn't add up, on both ends. Who knows, this 2022, whole thing could be a stunt.

A lot of places, here for example, have no sort of office to contact if you loose a few cattle. You could call the sherriff, but they won't do anything beyond write a report. If I were to lose one or two, I wouldn't be making any sort of report either, there's no point. Talking to the neighbors is the best course if action. My guess is she heard about it from another local and as soon as they were in her land, pulled the tags. Surely there's a history between the two.

This is the reason that I have pushed to Bang vacc all my heifers that we retain. It would not help with bought cows or steers... but the tattoo and the metal ear tag... or now they use a button... are proof. If they take out the "state metal tag" or the button, and it is not their animal... then that is fraud.... but the best thing is the tattoo in the ear. And I am going to push DS to get back to that again... he gets in too big a hurry to get them moved out to pastures after they are weaned... or it is not convenient to get them in... and then they go unvaxxed and they go UNMARKED.... and no one knows that they have tattoo's in the ears until you call them out on it.
We had some heifers get over on a guy years ago... he said he needed proof they were ours... and I had the bangs vacc papers from the vet... he had to cncede they were indeed ours... it could have gotten ugly...
Plus with all the uptick in some cases of brucellosis I just figure it is an easy smart way to identify the cattle... and protect them. It is a one time thing... preferable done between 4-12 months of age.
Freeze branding may be the way to go around here...we have talked about it...

Jan - all my cattle are tattooed (registration required) and all my heifers receive the Bruc vaccination. Vet puts his state tattoo in the ear also. I put tags in a specific ear for bulls or heifers. They would have the HOLE in their ear. Plus would have an earnotch for BVD-PI testing.
But, in this case, I would "assume" neighbors could testify that they normally had cattle in their fields.
The "sanctuary" gave the "owners" a 2-page bill. A photo was posted on FB.
I would bring news media and my trailer and pick them up. But, like I mentioned, mine would be easily proven.

When we first bought this farm I let a guy finish out his lease with the pasture. When he took his cattle that Fall he somehow missed a cow. He only had 12 in there.…

My neighbors had a cow in with their horses and I never thought anything of it. I figured they had one to put in the freezer. Fast forward to Spring and i find a calf in my pasture that isn't mine.

I go over and talk with the neighbors and she says "what calf?" Then she tells me she has no idea who's cow that is and that it just showed up one day and they had been trying to find he owners for some time.

It all hit me then. The calf looked exactly like my other neighbors calves that year and his bull visited our pasture and bred lease guys' heifers. I call lease guy and asked him if he had a number 29. He looks at his notes and says yeah. Well….she's over at my neighbors.

Long story short, the neighbors and lease guy don't get along and they wanted to charge him a lot of money to get his cow back and he said you can keep it. He told me he wouldn't give them over $100 to get it back And they wanted at least $1000.

Any other neighbor here would of just given him the cow and calf back. But on the other hand, how in the world do you miss taking home 1 cow out of 12 and not know she is missing until I say something 6-7 months later?

He may have some documentation of the tag numbers to prove they did have tags..
Also check the cattle. If there are tag holes in the ears then it would hold someone removed the tags.
One of the news outlets interviewed a worker who said at least one of the cows had an ear tag when they penned it up, but from the videos posted by the "sanctuary" neither have tags now.

This is the reason that I have pushed to Bang vacc all my heifers that we retain. It would not help with bought cows or steers... but the tattoo and the metal ear tag... or now they use a button... are proof. If they take out the "state metal tag" or the button, and it is not their animal... then that is fraud.... but the best thing is the tattoo in the ear. And I am going to push DS to get back to that again... he gets in too big a hurry to get them moved out to pastures after they are weaned... or it is not convenient to get them in... and then they go unvaxxed and they go UNMARKED.... and no one knows that they have tattoo's in the ears until you call them out on it.
We had some heifers get over on a guy years ago... he said he needed proof they were ours... and I had the bangs vacc papers from the vet... he had to cncede they were indeed ours... it could have gotten ugly...
Plus with all the uptick in some cases of brucellosis I just figure it is an easy smart way to identify the cattle... and protect them. It is a one time thing... preferable done between 4-12 months of age.
Freeze branding may be the way to go around here...we have talked about it...
We have a commercial herd of about 35 and most all have ear tags, mainly so we can keep the momas and babies pair correctly. We figured we could tell our cows if they ever got out even without tags. Then we had two solid black cows loose their ear tags at the same time and boy was it hard trying the identify who was who between the two. This case also has made us re-evaluate how we would identify an animal or legal prove ownership if it ever got lost.

There must be No evidence or it would've been quickly resolved.
Gregson never said he had any cattle missing until after SPCA contacted him after 8-9 days to ask.... then it's, yes they are mine and appears he never made any effort to contact neighbors to ask if they saw his cows or contact le to report stolen cattle.

Doesn't appear the law is burning any time on it because it appears they've determined it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter.
Not a civil matter now. The wheels of justice may turn slow but do grind fine........

TOWN OF NEWFANE - The owner of an animal sanctuary who has been embroiled in a controversy over a cow and steer that wandered onto her property last month has been arrested and is facing a charge of grand larceny.

New York State Police confirmed Tuesday morning that Tracy A. Murphy, 59, the owner of Asha's Farm Sanctuary on Coomer Road, was arrested on the charge stemming from her refusal to turn over cattle that she found on her property on July 16.

State police said Tuesday that a warrant, secured following an investigation involving the SPCA of Niagara, the Niagara County District Attorney's Office and the Town of Newfane, was executed at the farm sanctuary on Tuesday.

Attempts to contact Murphy and her attorney were not immediately successful.

The cattle controversy started when a cow and a steer wandered onto Murphy's property.

A neighboring farmer, Scott Gregson, contended that the animals belonged to him. Murphy refused to give the animals to Gregson, arguing that he needed to show her proof that he actually owned them. Murphy later said that she believed she was owed compensation for housing the animals if Gregson did provide proof that they were his.

Last edited:
Good for them. Should speed up resolution of the matter. As I said I believed Murphy was being a dick. My understanding is Larceny differs from Theft in that the intent is to permanently deprive an owner of their property (being a dick) and that seems to fit like a glove here. My legal knowledge is very limited and Larceny never crossed my mind until someone else said it.

Last edited:
We started branding our replacement heifers this year again too. It's the only identification, besides tattoos, permanent. Tags can be lost, cut off (illegal here if it's not your own cow), photo is a good idea, but I'm not sure how bomb proof it would be to show a picture of said cow and say, hey, that's my cow.
As per missing cows or not knowing they are missing.... if farmers here were to run to the police every time a animal is missing the cops would have to open a detachment just for that. Oh wait, there is the Brandinspector you can contact.
Nobody is going to help you find that animal though, that's on you.
It's easy here for a cow or calf or whatever to go missing. We are in bush country and the herds are usually not very close to home in the summer in larger areas. You can check every single day and still not see everybody, unless it's just 10 or 20 head sort of thing. Predators can snatch one if they really want and there is not much chance you'll find the carcass in bush country. Yes predators can be human too, most of the time you do find whatever is left of the animal though. That would be one instance to go to the copshop.
My point is, unless you are in open country, animals on small pasture and the herd is a smaller number, animals can go missing and you wouldn't know right away.
I haven't read the article, so I don't know what all the specifics are, but for the activist to hold the cows from the owner, that's just a stupid move. Yet, the world has gone so righteous and liberal, wanna bet the cops don't really want to get into an argument or confrontation with a tree hugger to confiscate the cows? =D
Anyway, just my 2 cents. Where is my coffee.

It occurs to me that the sheriff involved probably has some interest in the matter beyond purely legalities. He may be taking some amount of pleasure in sticking a thorn in the animal rights debate. These people get traction with urban idiots and pretty soon they are voting as a majority on issues they know nothing about.

I see the potential for Murphy's Law to be applied to other facets of her operation. Anything involving her participation will be
scrutinized for any infraction and penalties rendered for such infractions. Hopefully her legal education will continue to be uninhibited.
I do not look for her to become a 'herd master' on the upper Hudson anytime soon.

This kind of stuff just solidifies in my mind that people just don't suffer enough hardship in their lives any more. That and these so called "intellectuals" really do need some old school discipline sent their way.... or ... maybe I'm just and old fart that has an actual moral compass
YES, THIS! ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

Latest posts