Farm sanctuary won't give up two cows that wondered on their property back to the rightful owner.

Help Support CattleToday:

Good for them. Should speed up resolution of the matter. As I said I believed Murphy was being a dick. My understanding is Larceny differs from Theft in that the intent is to permanently deprive an owner of their property (being a dick) and that seems to fit like a glove here. My legal knowledge is very limited and Larceny never crossed my mind until someone else said it.
Larceny vs Theft depends on how the individual state criminal staute is written. But, as a general rule, theft is the taking of any property ie a candy bar from a store. Larceny is the theft of a physical personal property such as a purse or wallet. But, it all depends on the State.

Last edited:
Here's another article that was posted on FB:

Newfane woman arrested for grand larceny of cows

02 August 2022
Official%20NYSP%20seal(1).png

NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Eugene J. Staniszewski
Troop A Commander

PRESS RELEASE
On August 2, 2022, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) out of SP Lockport arrested Tracy A. Murphy, 59 of Newfane, NY for Grand Larceny 3rd​ degree (D Felony).

On July 25, 2022, Troopers out of SP Lockport responded to Asha's Farm Sanctuary on Coomer Road in the town of Newfane for a property retrieval of cows with the SPCA and the owner of the cows. Murphy the president and founder of Asha's Farm Sanctuary refused to return the cows to the owner. The Bureau of Criminal Investigation collaborated with the Niagara County SPCA, Niagara County District Attorney's Office and the Town of Newfane Offices resulting in a warrant execution to retrieve the cows from Asha's Farm Sanctuary and the arrest of Murphy. The cows were located and returned to the owner. Murphy was arrested and transported to SP Lockport for processing. Murphy was remanded to the Niagara County Jail for centralized County arraignment.

A friend of mine lost 12 head last year, and others that had cattle in that same area lost some as well. They had a meeting with the sheriff, and brand inspector, but they never found them. He did find out that once the go across state lines there is not much they can do, as they usually don't check for out of state brand at the sale barns. 12 head for a small producer is a big hit.

My uncle had one of his neighbors call him and said they had one of is cows. After he got there to pick her up they said they didn't have one of his. It was not until years later they called to have him come pick up his cow. I think she came open and were not going to feed her though the winter.

Whenever we have any cattle come up missing, we get on the phone to neighbors of that particular pasture and let them know. They do the same. Have had a few disappear over the years but not lately. We will make sure they get their own animals back and they do the same with us. Most neighbors are pretty good and most all are real farmers... not "do good touchy feely jerks" that think an animal should live out it's life in tall clover... until those stupid people lose their "sponsors" and can't pay their bills.
Putting some more locks on gates, and some cams up to monitor some of the questionable places now....and I make it a point to go in and out of some of the roads and driveways at odd times to just keep it more of a guessing game...

A friend of mine lost 12 head last year, and others that had cattle in that same area lost some as well. They had a meeting with the sheriff, and brand inspector, but they never found them. He did find out that once the go across state lines there is not much they can do, as they usually don't check for out of state brand at the sale barns. 12 head for a small producer is a big hit.

My uncle had one of his neighbors call him and said they had one of is cows. After he got there to pick her up they said they didn't have one of his. It was not until years later they called to have him come pick up his cow. I think she came open and were not going to feed her though the winter.
and that is one of my excuses for having some rank wild ones. you gotta work hard to steal em. LOL

He did find out that once the go across state lines there is not much they can do, as they usually don't check for out of state brand at the sale barns. 12 head for a small producer is a big hit.
TSCRA's law enforcement division has national and international reach.

Latest posts