Fair price on bred heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I've got a black baldie heifer that I will be breeding my reg Angus bull (have papers in hand) this fall. His sire is brushpopper 295, he has excellent EPD's low BW and strong WW and YW. The heifer is out of a reg Angus bull and a big hereford cow. I bought her in a package deal and don't want any cross breds in my herd. I was thinking in the $1400 range when she's heavy bred. Is this a fair price?

I hope so. I have 57 black and black whiteface heifers that were bred this spring that I plan to sell in October. $1,400 will work for me.

Reason I picked 1400 was because I went to a replacement heifer sale last fall and black angus bred heifers were bringing anywhere from 1500 to 1800 a piece. She's a nice heifer and my bull has an excellent pedigree so I thought in the 1300-1400 range was a fair asking price.

Bred heifers on Superior and Western this last couple of weeks sold between $1,700 and $1,335. There was only one lot that sold below $1,400 and one lot showed as a no sale. Of course that is by the pot load lots and they didn't have a lot of them. The last stock cow sale I went to bred heifers were $1,600 to $1,100.

Ok, then I'm pretty much in the ball park on price considering what the buyer would be getting.

Calhoun Farm":3loofp41 said:
Ok, then I'm pretty much in the ball park on price considering what the buyer would be getting.

Hard to sell one or two at a time in the ring and come out. Are you planning a private party sale?

Latest posts