FAIR price for hay for Texas and Okla

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I sent an email Bill Gates today, to see if he and the Mrs. and/or their foundation might be able to help food producers right here in the USA. I don't know if anyone else on this board would like to do so, but this link will tell you how to contact them: http://www.ehow.com/how_4670289_write-bill-gates.html

I figured, "Can't hurt -- might help," and this is the email I sent to Gates' personal email address and to his foundation (sans my personal contact info at the end):

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Gates:

"I don't write this for myself and I don't presume to suggest how you should spend your money. I'll try to keep it short and simple.

I know you help many, many people -- including many NOT in this country trying to eak a living out of their land. We have big, big trouble right here in the USA with drought in TX and OK, and farms/ranches that have had virtually no rain for almost a year. Their pastures are shot; they can't grow hay; they can't grow grain crops. Many have been forced to sell out; many are almost at that point. And many of those ranching families have been in the business for generations. Trucking feed to them is incredibly expensive. And with floods in the Midwest (and those folks are hurting, too), grain crops will also be very expensive for many beef, pork and poultry producers this year. Please check some of the cattle websites: CATTLETODAY.COM, and there are others -- look at their stories.

If there was any way you could help those grass-roots USA food producers, OMG, that would be so huge!! Thank you."

We have tons of hay in northern and western VA, probably 33% more than average years, nearly double last year's drought conditions. I can't sell a bale, haven't sold one so far. Prices are going down. Wish there was some way to get the hay to you guys hurting in the West. I'd take little just to get rid of it, $25 or less for 4x5's. I sold bales for $30-$35 last year. Don't want to see it rot, since I keep 1st cutting outside. I am getting ready to start a second cutting, but wonder what point there is in doing that since I can't sell any around here. I usually store the 2nd cutting in the barn. I still have 10 bales last year's 2nd cutting in the barn. You may be able to give it away here, but that's all.

Lauralees, I would disagree with you on one point. You said NOBODY is making money on this drought. There are some very unethical people who are making alot of money. There are peole who are baling trash, by that I mean weeds, sagegrass, serecia lespedeza, fescue stems, and other stuff in their pastures that their cattle will not eat but it looks good in the round bale. They are then selling these 4x5 bales for 25-30 dollars per bale and it is being shipped to Texas and selling for over 100 dollars per bale. These peole should be prosecuted for fraud. Imagine if you are a farmer in Texas trying to save your cattle and you pay 110 dollars per bale for a load of hay and you roll out a bale of this trash. Normally, most of us never buy a bale of hay without knowing what we are getting. However, with this drought, you now have to trust people you know nothing about. It is a shame there are so many crooks to deal with. I learned a long time ago a very hard lesson. That lesson is, there will always be more cattle. Don't lose the farm trying to keep the cows. If there is a silver lining, it is that the cattle prices are at an unheard of high price during a bad drought. Those of use who have sold entire herds for 10-15 cents per pound for breeding cows and 35-45 cents per pound for calves, in the 80's, are amazed that you can receive 50-70 cents for cows and 1.00-1.50 for calves in a drought forced selling. I cannot comprehend paying 50-60 dollars (much less 100 dollars plus) for round bales to keep cattle when they are this price. My family made that mistake once and it has taken a very long time to recover, but most in my area never did. Good luck to everyone with the incredibly tough decisions you are having to make.

I dont know how fair it is but you can get hay shipped from Missouri for around $80 a bale delivered.When contacting a hay dealer make it plain if the hay is trash it goes back. Roll out one in middle of bottom of load to see what it looks like.
If they are not up to par reload and send back.Trucks usualy carry 38 rolls that I have seen.4 foot long and about 5 1/2 foot diameter.Helps if you have a witness around during deal.

LauraleesFarm":29qbgrbg said:
We bale hay and I can tell you that the bills DO go on. Long after you have bought your hay we are still paying the bank for the meadows, the equipment, and let's not forget insurance, maintenance costs, fertilizer and the cost of diesel is outrageous. Routine annual maintenance on the equipment without any repair work is generally $1000-1500. This is more than most clients spend on hay in a typical year.
This month was a very light baling month and we spent over $2000 in diesel and another $1300 in bank/insurance payments. Don't even consider any hired help, do it yourself and see what you are making an hour for all your work. It costs the same to run those tractors around a 50 acre field that yields 20 bales as it does to lap around the same field when it yields 150. And we get paid BY THE BALE. We are all in this hades of a drought together and I can tell you that NOBODY in the drought is profiting. NOBODY.

Clearly there are MANY cases like yours and I know of several others that have to raise the price of their hay this year. That is because of the things you mentioned.

However, LOTS of people are profiting in the drought. Just not the honest folks.

2bar, I heard of a local person who is selling hay for about 5 times what I know he bought it for..

I understand free trade..but he cant even plead hauling costs..I hauled my hay and I dont have into the bales what he's asking..

Before we all get too down on these hay guys that are on the good side of the hay market, remember if things turn around in Texas/OK next year and these guys want to buy back in and these heifers/cows that we are buying now for $600-$1000 will be selling for $1400 to $2000? Who's gonna reject those bids and say "I don't want to gouge anyone, I'll take half of what the market will bring!"???

A couple of days ago the grand champion crossbred steer at the Illinois State Fair sold for around $51,000. Was that a fair price?

VanC":24uro7sy said:
A couple of days ago the grand champion crossbred steer at the Illinois State Fair sold for around $51,000. Was that a fair price?

Yes......they have been bringing those kind of prices for years. :tiphat:

Arkieman":24uro7sy said:
Before we all get too down on these hay guys that are on the good side of the hay market, remember if things turn around in Texas/OK next year and these guys want to buy back in and these heifers/cows that we are buying now for $600-$1000 will be selling for $1400 to $2000? Who's gonna reject those bids and say "I don't want to gouge anyone, I'll take half of what the market will bring!"???

The market is the market. You don't have a choice to sell them for less. They bring what they bring. :tiphat:

Im a "hay guy"..lots of my neighbors are "hay guys"...we bearly make a profit in a normal year, if we sell hay..so I can see abit of a jump in price..average on squares is about $9-$10..up from the $6-$7 per bale of last years..same with rounds..$85, not the $65..

But when a person is buying hay at $35 a bale..and selling it for $125..with only about $100 into fuel for the truck to bring a load here..that just kinda strikes me as odd..

VanC":8fn2ssxi said:

Just more play money for the "big boy ego trips". A Steer...can't breed...only useful for hamburger...
probably worth about $1,000 in ground beef...LOL.
JMO

VanC":13hoekkk said:
Probably was for Illinois. Down here he would have brought $150K. :lol2:

Running Arrow Bill":2y6lnwek said:
VanC":2y6lnwek said:

Just more play money for the "big boy ego trips". A Steer...can't breed...only useful for hamburger...
JMO
Not about "fair market price" for the steer....it's advertising and bragging rights.....

TexasBred":7dnjapb5 said:
VanC":7dnjapb5 said:
:lol: :nod:

1982vett":qo3wfy5u said:
TexasBred":qo3wfy5u said:
VanC":qo3wfy5u said:
:lol: :nod:

I saw a picture and it was one dam nice steer. :D

1982vett":rzgzf7ym said:
Running Arrow Bill":rzgzf7ym said:
VanC":rzgzf7ym said:

JMO
Not about "fair market price" for the steer....it's advertising and bragging rights.....

VERY expensive advertising...lol. However, egos have no dollar limit...lots of show and tell, but rarely ever a "return on investment" when all things are factored out...

JMO

Running Arrow Bill":1nj4y3jh said:
1982vett":1nj4y3jh said:
Running Arrow Bill":1nj4y3jh said:
JMO

VERY expensive advertising...lol. However, egos have no dollar limit...lots of show and tell, but rarely ever a "return on investment" when all things are factored out...

JMO

I'd guess most of those purchases are made by businesses for promotional purposes. Probably a tax write off, too, but I don't know.

Latest posts