Faint Gratuite cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
Is this a real breed of cattle? A beef breed? My brother was at the NY State Fair last week and saw a Brahman cross cattle that he said he believed was called Faint Gratuite. He said they were as gentle as could be and really neat looking. I've done a few Google searches and can't find anything close. Sure appreciate if anyone's got any info on the breed.

Well, gangreen, I did some more searches and all I can come up with is that Gratuite is the french word for the English word, Free.

I'll be interested if you happen to come up with more info on the breed.

Alice :)

Alice, I found lots of matches for gratuite too so I figured he wasn't pulling my leg but still no idea what he was talking about.

TN, didn't even think about Santa Gertrudis, you might be right. I'll pass the link on to my bro and see if that's what he saw. As far as being red, I didn't see them, not sure what he was referring to yet.

Thanks.

Must you always be obnoxious? My brother isn't a cattleman, never owned them and hasn't spent much time around them. He saw what he believed to be a "cool cow" at the state fair and called me to tell me about them. It had been a week since he had been there and probably had never heard of Santa Gertrudis. He tried to remember the name and he whiffed. Maybe he said "Saint Gratuite" and I misunderstood, mistaking an S for an F. It's not that big of a deal though it's becoming apparent that you jump on any opportunity to make fun of folks who aren't as brilliant as you. Glad I could be of service. :)

TN, if I read you wrong and you weren't being sarcastic and condescending, then I sincerely apologize. I'm not a troll and it's not my intention to start something. I'm a newbie to cattle and to this board and I've gotten some very good advice by the kind folks on this board already. It just seems odd that in such a short time, you've already jumped me in two seperate threads.

All is well.

Masterbeef, I thought that was good thinking to translate "fainte gratuite" into "Santa Gertrudis". I thought it was Gaelic slang for fat gurensey. You must have code breaking experience. Impressive work, Masterbeef. 8)

I am suprised that there would be any Gerts at the NY State Fair since they are uncommon up north.

There are actually quite a few up that way. Plus, breeders from VA, OH, NC, SC and WV go up to the NY State Fair to show. I guess you couold say that the northeast is "untapped" territory for Gerts.

Latest posts