F250 Super Duty

Help Support CattleToday:

forgot to mention back problems...
our local dealer now gives away free kidney belts with their fords because the chevy's down the street were outselling them.
the local chiropractor loves fords though keeps him in work...

I had a kidney cracker ford years ago. You couldn;t drive down the highway with the seatbelt on because everytime you hit a little irregularity in the road the belt would tighten up. Had it two years and put 5k miles on it total.
Fords may ride a little stiffer, but at least you can turn them without needing a 40 acre field

dun":3co7woa6 said:
I had a kidney cracker ford years ago. You couldn;t drive down the highway with the seatbelt on because everytime you hit a little irregularity in the road the belt would tighten up. Had it two years and put 5k miles on it total.
Fords may ride a little stiffer, but at least you can turn them without needing a 40 acre field

:lol: i drive a 95 one ton power stroke with a deweze bed, i love it but i can't resist making a wisecrack about they way they ride now and then.
oh! did i mention clutch problems?? :shock:

I have 2002 f-350 diesel and it rides much better than my 90 dodge 250 deisel, I got a regular cab because if I had an extended cab you wouldn't be able to find the seat anyway with all the junk that would be back there.

Anybody know anything about the rumor that the wheels on the new ones won't take mud tires or aggressive thread tires? I don't believe it. But I've heard it three times now.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":3q99dmij said:
Anybody know anything about the rumor that the wheels on the new ones won't take mud tires or aggressive thread tires? I don't believe it. But I've heard it three times now.

Craig-TX

Ford or Chevy??

Craig-TX":nxzea0wz said:

Craig-TX

i think somebody must be putting you on craig

Dun, I have owned both the older kidney cracker 7.3 and now the new 6 OH my god! I love both trucks. The 7.3 was a real work horse I wish I could have kept it for a work/farm truck but it was worth too much on the new one. I found them to be easy to work on unlike the 6 OH! The most common problems on the 7.3 are easily repaired your self. The only clutch problems I ever heard of was with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, not actually the clutch plate. Mine was a 7.3, 4x4, 5 speed manual. The only options were cruise and AC. I would suggest you stay away from early 03 6 liters though. There were some problems with those although I have talked to many who never had a problem with the early 03. Don't want to start a Ford/Dodge war here as both are very good trucks but if you read the Dodge boards you will see common problems there also. Sometimes those with problems flock to these boards to vent.

I ended up with a 2000 super duty diesel with the automatic. I call it the pimpmobile because it has every geegaw imaginable except heated seats. Seems a shame they're not heated since they are leather.

dun":31x5j7te said:
I ended up with a 2000 super duty diesel with the automatic. I call it the pimpmobile because it has every geegaw imaginable except heated seats. Seems a shame they're not heated since they are leather.

Good for you. I bet you will just love it. If you have any problems with it let me know. I know quite a bit about the 7.3L but don't claim to be an expert. You did get a diesel right?

I know what you mean about the gadgets. My new one has everything also except heated seats. I don't need them here in FLA though. I decided since it is mainly to run back and forth to the farm @120 miles one way, I needed to ride in comfort for a change. The old back cracker, kidney killer was ok but this thing rides like a dream compared to my old 96. Can't wait unit 07 for the new diesel Ford will have that will absolutely kill the competition.

I've had it a month and I still can;t get the power seats set up the way I want.
But I only use it on long junkets or when I'm hauling something so I don;t have a lot of hours in it yet.
Most of them time I still drive my musquito killer Ranger.

dun

what's happening in '07 with the fords flaboy?
i don't know why the 2000 and newer trucks ride so much better.
my '95 will beat you to death!

buckaroo_bif":y61gfo08 said:
what's happening in '07 with the fords flaboy?
i don't know why the 2000 and newer trucks ride so much better.
my '95 will beat you to death!

Well let's say there is a RUMOR that Ford will have a drastic change in 07. There is a RUMOR of a new more powerful (I can't imagine) diesel also.

oh!
well i haven't bought a six liter yet but from what i have seen i think i will stick with the 7.3 if i go to a newer model. i'll probably stick with my 95 though as long as my back holds up.

buckaroo_bif":2gw7wlbi said:
oh!
well i haven't bought a six liter yet but from what i have seen i think i will stick with the 7.3 if i go to a newer model. i'll probably stick with my 95 though as long as my back holds up.

Had one of the old heavy dutys with the 460 back in the 80's. That was a back breaking killer. Had it 2 years and only put about 5k miles on it. The only time I drove it was if I had a real heavy load to carry or toe. The rest of the time it just around. It was sprung so hard that just hitting an irregularlity in the pavement would cause the seatbelts to tighten. Every couple of miles you'ld have to release them and then put em back on. On anything other then the hwy you had to have them on to keep from being bounced all over the seat.
Evil old devil but boy could it pull a serious load.

dun

flaboy":tr3ucmiv said:
Well let's say there is a RUMOR that Ford will have a drastic change in 07. There is a RUMOR of a new more powerful (I can't imagine) diesel also.

Ive heard rumors about them changing around engines in both super duty and F-150, well optionally. Ive heard rumors that Ford wants to drop Powerstroke (Detroit Diesel, owned by Chrysler) due to so many problems in the past. Ive heard of 3 possible suppliers of diesels to Ford: Cummins, CAT, and John Deere. Dont know if its true or not, but Ive heard rumors. Right now Ford has a contract with Detroit Diesel that says no other manufacturer can get a contract with them. Dodge does not have a contract like that with Cummins. Anyone can use them. Havent heard about them putting in more powerful diesels.

Ive also heard that Ford is working on a new engine for the F-150 that is called the Hurricane. You guessed it, someone to outdo the Hemi. Supposedly they want to put a 6.8L engine in the F-150. Dont know if they will go through with it the way gas prices are going. Just a rumor I heard.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2nv02lma said:
(Detroit Diesel, owned by Chrysler) Right now Ford has a contract with Detroit Diesel that says no other manufacturer can get a contract with them. Dodge does not have a contract like that with Cummins.
Fords diesel is a product of Navistar International. A variant is also used in Navistar buses and medium trucks among other things.

from the best that I can gather from reading every board and auto rag that I run across, here is the skinny on the 07.

supposed to be very similar to the TONKA concept a few years ago. They are rumored to be going to a 6.4L HPCR diesel, possibly twin turbo run in series (boosts low end responsiveness). It will be an International.

The rumors regarding possible Cummins, John Deere, etc are in regards to the plans of placing a diesel powerplant in the F-150. Catepillar has no interest in the small diesel market, they have publicly said so time and time again. They do not want the headaches of working with one of the major manufactures who would constantly try to ratchet down the prices. High volume, low margin products are not in their best interest, and they know it.

There will be significant upgrades to the interior as well. The front bucket seats had to be redesigned (to be narrower) due to the transmission housing changes. This could represent different ride heights of the cab on the frame (for improved entry/exit) , different ride height of the engine/transmission on the frame (for increased ground clearance), or, less likely, different transmission options. There has even been a rumor floating around of air-ride seats like the big boys have. I think that the TONKA concept had these as well.

The only problem with all of this is, "how much is it going to cost"? That is a difficult question to answer. The domestic automakers are all in a pickle right now due to suffocating pension and health care expenses, promises made years ago that they never really could afford to keep. The UAW, God bless them, have not made the situation any easier. The most profitable sector is the domestic pickup and SUV market. They have both taken a hit due to rising fuel costs and stand to take a much larger hit in the future. The big three will be left with some tough decisions, which I believe that they will be forced into, with the introduction of a FULL size next-gen Toyota Tundra and possibly a HD Nissan Titan. Both foreign manufacturers enjoy the luxury of being able to build the same vehicle for several thousands cheaper due their lack of the before stated financial burdens.

I personally believe that the current pickup is priced at the upper end of what the market will allow. You simply cannot push the price much above 50K before people start saying "what the he**" . Your decked out Ford and GMC's already have crossed that magic threshold.

With all that said, I will be the first one in the order banks for an 08 F350 King Ranch, assuming that they don't have the same problems iwith the 6.4 that they have had with the 6.0, price be d*****.

dun":1icnkmn3 said:
buckaroo_bif":1icnkmn3 said:
oh!

Had one of the old heavy dutys with the 460 back in the 80's. That was a back breaking killer. Had it 2 years and only put about 5k miles on it. The only time I drove it was if I had a real heavy load to carry or toe. The rest of the time it just around. It was sprung so hard that just hitting an irregularlity in the pavement would cause the seatbelts to tighten. Every couple of miles you'ld have to release them and then put em back on. On anything other then the hwy you had to have them on to keep from being bounced all over the seat.
Evil old devil but boy could it pull a serious load.dun

Can't beat the old 460's. If you can just keep gas in them! I had one in a 78 model that ran over 300 k till I finally retired her. Good trucks!
bif

I had a '90 Ford F250 supercab with a fuel injected 460. Yes they will last and they will pull and they will run like a scalded dog. That truck is still pulling trailer loads of cabinets for my old boss with over 200,000 on it. It gets 6 mpg pulling. It has a 3.55 rear end in it, and on the highway empty running in overdrive, it would get as high as 15 or 16. Usually mixed driving 11 or 12.

I think the 5.4 is pretty stout myself. Has anyone actually stacked one up against a hemi and seen what each would do? The 5.4 has at least 300 horsepower, and about 350-70 pound feet of torque if I recall correctly. It's been a while since I read one of those Moter Trend or Truck Trend type magazines that I used to read all the time. I replaced them in the budget with the Hereford World!

Latest posts