Heavy Duty brush mower

Help Support CattleToday:

No matter how new the slip clutch could be stuck. I've seen them stuck just from sitting outside on the dealers lot. Best to back the bolts off and turn the pto on and let it slip for a split second, then tighten them back down to spec.

I looked at an MX7 a few months ago that had the same broken shaft, a friend was interested in it. From memory, the gear is machined onto the top of the shaft from the same stock, and you had the buy the set including the input gear. JD was pretty proud of it, but there was an aftermarket company that was fairly reasonable, I'm thinking in the $500ish range - seems JD was around $1500 or so.

The way the shaft broke it almost looks to me that it was setting against a hard square edge. It would likely have been scored all the way around it to break that cleanly.

The way the shaft broke it almost looks to me that it was setting against a hard square edge. It would likely have been scored all the way around it to break that cleanly.

It broke fairly clean except to one side. Here is a better picture showing that and one of what its supposed to look like.

B63C8221-B3CB-4932-9217-2A905DA20C03.jpeg

116B3FD8-55A9-475A-A0BE-A45FED67A5C9.jpeg

I'd check the slip clutches for sure. I've got the heaviest 15' cutter bush hog makes and broke a gearbox shaft a few year back. I think they just break sometimes

Latest posts