F250 Super Duty

Help Support CattleToday:

[/quote]

Ive heard rumors about them changing around engines in both super duty and F-150, well optionally. Ive heard rumors that Ford wants to drop Powerstroke (Detroit Diesel, owned by Chrysler) due to so many problems in the past. Ive heard of 3 possible suppliers of diesels to Ford: Cummins, CAT, and John Deere. Dont know if its true or not, but Ive heard rumors. Right now Ford has a contract with Detroit Diesel that says no other manufacturer can get a contract with them. Dodge does not have a contract like that with Cummins. Anyone can use them. Havent heard about them putting in more powerful diesels.

Ive also heard that Ford is working on a new engine for the F-150 that is called the Hurricane. You guessed it, someone to outdo the Hemi. Supposedly they want to put a 6.8L engine in the F-150. Dont know if they will go through with it the way gas prices are going. Just a rumor I heard.[/quote]

Well, like the others said, the PowerStroke is made by International (Navistar). There are label on my engine that also say International Navistar. The old 7.3 L diesel was also made by the same. I have a relativly good source that says the 07 diesel will is being developed by International Navistar also.

Remember, for pulling there is no substiute for torque. HP doesn't mean near as much as torque for pulling. Take at look at most of your tractors as you will see low HP but high torque figures for the cubic inch.

For those who want the 7.3 L diesel, you are out of luck. It is no longer an option. Great motor too.

dun , I'm a used truck dealer and the single most flaw of the powerstroke is the air intake. If you are looking at one be sure that there has been no dust get past the air filter. This will immediately void your warranty if there's one remaining as well as ruin your engine. Alot of people neglet their air filters or dont fasten the air cleaner box properly or even have a crack in the box which allows dust into the turbo and then into the motor. You can pull the intake hose off the turbo intake and check the fan blades on the turbo, if they are nicked up stay away from it. Also avoid any truck that has blow by, it wont be long after that problems will arise for you. The hubs are expensive as well on the F250, if they are noisey it'll set you back about $400. I am a fan of the automatic transmission as I have had clutch problems with the standards. I sell alot of these trucks and these are the first bases I cover before purchasing them.

Rod":3r4l220y said:
dun , I'm a used truck dealer and the single most flaw of the powerstroke is the air intake. If you are looking at one be sure that there has been no dust get past the air filter. This will immediately void your warranty if there's one remaining as well as ruin your engine. Alot of people neglet their air filters or dont fasten the air cleaner box properly or even have a crack in the box which allows dust into the turbo and then into the motor. You can pull the intake hose off the turbo intake and check the fan blades on the turbo, if they are nicked up stay away from it. Also avoid any truck that has blow by, it wont be long after that problems will arise for you. The hubs are expensive as well on the F250, if they are noisey it'll set you back about $400. I am a fan of the automatic transmission as I have had clutch problems with the standards. I sell alot of these trucks and these are the first bases I cover before purchasing them.

I've had it since April now and it's a darn good truck, but at $3.24 a gallon I drive the little Ranger unless I need to haul a load somewhere. I
ve only put maybe 5k miles on it, all with a load and it sure pulls better then anything else I;ve had except maybe my old 460 from back in the 70s.

dun

I've always been told, Ford has major interest in Cummings, and Chrysler has a major interest in International/Navistar. Wonder if it's true?

Crowderfarms":15x7168i said:
I've always been told, Ford has major interest in Cummings, and Chrysler has a major interest in International/Navistar. Wonder if it's true?

Contrary to what was rumored, Ford only owned about 15% of Cummings at one time. They sold off that 15% some years ago. I never heard the one about Chrysler.

The orginal rumor was "Ford bought Cummins", oh what is Dodge going to do for engines? When in reality they only bought 15% and sold that about 3 years later. I suspect Ford is in bed Navistar and Navistar is supposed to be building the small diesel for the F150.

Hate to sound like the anti-christ but I own a F250 4X4 and my next truck will be a Dodge...the Cummins can't be beat. Granted I have the corn binder diesel in mine and it takes three tries to turn the thing around and the mileage is only 12 and bounces like a carnival ride empty...all the nice things about fords.....just my two cents, needed or not.

Susie David":333x7008 said:
Hate to sound like the anti-christ but I own a F250 4X4 and my next truck will be a Dodge...the Cummins can't be beat. Granted I have the corn binder diesel in mine and it takes three tries to turn the thing around and the mileage is only 12 and bounces like a carnival ride empty...all the nice things about fords.....just my two cents, needed or not.

Just be sure and check to see if you can get air-ride seats in the Dodge. Beats you like a drum they ride so hard. If your mileage is only 12 empty with an F250 you either have custom gears that are lower than the 4.10 in my dually F350 which gets an average of 15. My F250 I traded for the F350 got 18-19 except when hauling the fifth wheel with the 3.73 gears.

On edit - just noticed your location on the left coast. You must have the special "tree hugger" versions they ship over there with all the special emission junk.

Susie David":2hvv2wsz said:

You owe it to yourself to at least test drive the new 6 liter Ford. I have owned them all and I always go back to Ford. I will never have another Chevy truck. My 04 4x4 SuperCab rides like a car compared to my old 7.3L diesel. Dodge has the Cummins and it is a great motor but the truck itself leaves a lot to be desired in the quality area in my opinion. Drive them all, look them all over, then decide.

Been testing the Dodges but will have a go at the Fords again....my brother in law has a F350 and likes it...good thread learned alot....DMc

Latest posts