F1 baldy cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jsramer

Reaction score
Quick question for the seasoned breeders on here. A young man the other day asked me a question that I was not comfortable in answering him. His question was this; he has a group of first generation herf/angus heifers and was wanting to know what the calves would be if bred back to a herf. Would the calves remain black hided or would they be red or would it be a mixture of some black and some red? Now for the next question that I would add; what if you bred those same cows back to a black angus bull. Would you loose the white face or just loose some of it? I know that some will think that anyone who has been raising cattle for quite a while should know this, but my only experience with herfs was as a kid on my grandpa's farm about 35 years ago and he never kept any of the baldies his was raising.

Breed black baldies to Hereford should give you....

50% Red calves
50% Black calves

50% Hereford markings (feather neck, white feet, etc)
50% Baldies

So you should end up with Red baldies, Black baldies, Red Herefords and Black Herefords.

Breed a Black baldy to Black Angus should give you
100% Black
50% baldies
50% solid colored

Jeanne - Simme Valley":24gh18yb said:
Red Bull Breeder":24gh18yb said:
Jennie I would rather say the each calf has a 50/50 chance of being black out of a herf bull.
??? isn't that what I said???? different words - same meaning - am I missing something??
RedBB, you must be a math guy.
I do remember that a lil bit from college. We have a tendency to say what you said Jeanne, but number crunchers say technically that's not correct. I think the classic argument goes something like this: You flip a coin three times and it comes up tails every time. What are the chances for the next coin toss? The answer is it's still 50/50. Previous outcomes don't affect each individual toss.
But to be perfectly honest, I have never been good with numbers and I took as little math as I could, so I could be wrong.

Way i read what you wrote jennie is that half the calves should be black half should be red. What i am saying is each calf has a 50/50 chance. Real unlikely that half the calves will be red and half black.

Real world is if you take 20 f1 baldies herfxangus and breed them to a herf bull you may and have got a chance at half of the calves being black and half being red. You could also get 15 black calves and 5 red ones. Just because each calf has a 50/50 chance of being red or black does not mean that it will be a even split on the color.

Red Bull Breeder":2j81emke said:
Real world is if you take 20 f1 baldies herfxangus and breed them to a herf bull you may and have got a chance at half of the calves being black and half being red. You could also get 15 black calves and 5 red ones. Just because each calf has a 50/50 chance of being red or black does not mean that it will be a even split on the color.

The key is your sample size. With a large enough sample, the outcome gets closer and closer to being evenly distribute between black and red.

I was giving you a hard time, I knew exactly what you were getting at. :banana:
In my original post I "quoted" SHOULD.
And if you bred 20 head you COULD get 20 all one color. Odds are against that, but that IS always a possibility.

In my experience when you breed them to a black angus bull the white faced ones will sometimes be what we have always called motley faced cows. Or white faces with splashes of black, or vice versa.

It ok Jennie you were right and i knew what you ment. Just sounds like so cut and dried sometimes. When in fact the color of the calves could swing one way or the other.

Ok, thanks to you all. I think I got it and can at least give Kevin a good answer now with some confidence.

Jeff

Latest posts