Extreme heat is killing America’s farm workers

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":2viss1z5 said:
TexasBred":2viss1z5 said:
My first job was working with a bridge building crew 11 hr. days working right in the middle of the right of way all day long. Boss just made sure there was a water can and NO thermometer around. Nobody died and only had a couple get too hot and "burn out" as they called it back then.

High temp here this year was two consecutive days at 114......the few times I left the house it dam near too my breath away. Up the road a couple of miles was a highway crew patching potholes.
Probably Mexicans, their use to it,,,they can do it while chewing on a jalapeño...
In my travels I have decided that I can become accustomed to the heat. Usually just about the time I return home. It's still hot but if your out there in it every day the body adapts. Yes you need to drink lots more and take better care of yourself but you will adapt. I see lots of folks wearing long sleeves when its in the 90's. They have adapted.

Yes you need to drink lots more and take better care of yourself but you will adapt. I see lots of folks wearing long sleeves when its in the 90's. They have adapted
Otherwise known as 'to acclimatize or acclimate'.
You can get used to just about anything weather wise after a little exposure.

A lot of medications make the sun intolerable. That antibiotic I was taking for that spider bite made my skin burn when sun touched it. I can work all day outside and do, but I could not while on that medication..
Back in the day, towns had one pharmacy and there was never a line. In Paris on one corner, there are 2 pharmacies and a Walmart all with a drive through pharmacy...and that's just one corner. Why are so many people on medication???

cowgirl8":3ua4i29m said:
A lot of medications make the sun intolerable. That antibiotic I was taking for that spider bite made my skin burn when sun touched it. I can work all day outside and do, but I could not while on that medication..
Back in the day, towns had one pharmacy and there was never a line. In Paris on one corner, there are 2 pharmacies and a Walmart all with a drive through pharmacy...and that's just one corner. Why are so many people on medication???

follow the money

Scare tactics work good when your life or quality of life is supposedly on the line. And then add money to the equation and bad things happen.

cowgirl8":3brmwjhr said:
Opiods and other dope....sit and watch a little longer and you'll see the guy with the "just filled" prescription selling them out the window of the car.

TexasBred":ujjij7ux said:
cowgirl8":ujjij7ux said:
Opiods and other dope....sit and watch a little longer and you'll see the guy with the "just filled" prescription selling them out the window of the car.

I've noticed this very thing. Seems today getting a script for opioides is like the doctor setting up up in a small business.

TexasBred":prvr1aze said:
cowgirl8":prvr1aze said:
Or the gal that just got her's filled, walk out to a car, lean in the driver's window, hand the bag with the scrip in it to some seedy looking guy and he hands her a wad of bills. I've seen that happen more than once.

The nurse practitioner I use couldn't issue Tramadol out anymore it's been reclassified and is on some list or something now. Dang dope heads need their heads can screw anything up.