Express Angus Ranch Yukon, OK

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
This is not a Hobby Ranch. Has anyone seen these cattle live? It was so hot yesterday, I came in and watched the sale on RFD. They were selling cattle off the Express Ranch. At the beginning, they went through a Who's Who List of attendees. Charlie Boyd, Kentucky was mentioned in attendance. He is about 5 miles distance from my farm. They said he won top honors this week at the KY State Fair in Louisville. There were people from the top Angus operations in attendance. They mentioned Texas, TN, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, etc.

I don't know if it was distortion but those cattle were 9 feet long. WOW. It looked like it was a day trip from their front legs to the back. They started the sale with a few cows that they sold part ownership in (50/50). One-half ownership and the cow stays at the Yukon Ranch for flushing, they went for over $200,000. That is valuing those cows at almost a half million. Then they sold heifers in the $20,000 to $100,000 range as best as I can remember.

Observations: The cattle carried a lot of condition. I get comments that my cows are over conditioned but these cows carried more condition. Second, they announced whether each cow was a carrier of DD. There was even a significant amount of time spent discussing the condition (they made comment that it is not a defect, it is a condition. Every animal over 10 days old on the Express ranch has been tested.

inyati13":kb3258ef said:
This is not a Hobby Ranch. Has anyone seen these cattle live? It was so hot yesterday, I came in and watched the sale on RFD. They were selling cattle off the Express Ranch. At the beginning, they went through a Who's Who List of attendees. Charlie Boyd, Kentucky was mentioned in attendance. He is about 5 miles distance from my farm. They said he won top honors this week at the KY State Fair in Louisville. There were people from the top Angus operations in attendance. They mentioned Texas, TN, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, etc.

I don't know if it was distortion but those cattle were 9 feet long. WOW. It looked like it was a day trip from their front legs to the back. They started the sale with a few cows that they sold part ownership in (50/50). One-half ownership and the cow stays at the Yukon Ranch for flushing, they went for over $200,000. That is valuing those cows at almost a half million. Then they sold heifers in the $20,000 to $100,000 range as best as I can remember.

Observations: The cattle carried a lot of condition. I get comments that my cows are over conditioned but these cows carried more condition. Second, they announced whether each cow was a carrier of DD. There was even a significant amount of time spent discussing the condition (they made comment that it is not a defect, it is a condition. Every animal over 10 days old on the Express ranch has been tested.

Express Ranches is owned by Bob Funk, the founder of Express Employment Professionsals. First they had Limousin, then Angus and, they are rumored to be buying Herefords now also.

What is the logic behind saying it is not a defect, it is a condition?

Ron don't get too carried away at those prices. A lot of them never see any cash changing hands.

alexfarms":3377u866 said:
inyati13":3377u866 said:

Express Ranches is owned by Bob Funk, the founder of Express Employment Professionsals. First they had Limousin, then Angus and, they are rumored to be buying Herefords now also.

What is the logic behind saying it is not a defect, it is a condition?
Alexfarms, in the introduction they stated that because DD Is a recessive condition it can be avoided entirely by selective breeding if the carriers are identified. Thus, they refer to ot as a "condition" versus a dominant genetic condition which cannot be avoided. Just definitions which are arbitrary to the extent they seem to be using them.

I got to watch parts of it the extreme highs may or may not be real. There was lots of $10,000 dollar cattle during the times I watched, The cattle looked good on video.
The DD thing if you call it a defect or condition you still have to have two sides to make it a reality it does sound better as a condition. I didn't get to see some of the a,b,c type lots where one of them would be a carrier did anyone pay attention to those type to see if it affected the cost?

There really isn't any condition to the defect if the animal is just a carrier. The carriers are normal and the homozygous recessives are mostly dead.

Did they sell carriers?

They did sell carriers that's why I was wondering in the lots with a,b,c and one of them was a carrier how did that effect the price. they had to really get on the ball to get all those cattle checked and the results back that quick on a condition that just came out 12 days earlier.

bse":1o48ife4 said:
They did sell carriers that's why I was wondering in the lots with a,b,c and one of them was a carrier how did that effect the price. they had to really get on the ball to get all those cattle checked and the results back that quick on a condition that just came out 12 days earlier.

LOL
The power of money.

alexfarms":1u0r5818 said:
There really isn't any condition to the defect if the animal is just a carrier. The carriers are normal and the homozygous recessives are mostly dead.

Did they sell carriers?
Abolutely and it did not seem to diminish the price.

bse":3fjavcvb said:
I got to watch parts of it the extreme highs may or may not be real. There was lots of $10,000 dollar cattle during the times I watched, The cattle looked good on video.
The DD thing if you call it a defect or condition you still have to have two sides to make it a reality it does sound better as a condition. I didn't get to see some of the a,b,c type lots where one of them would be a carrier did anyone pay attention to those type to see if it affected the cost?

A carrier has to be breed to a carrier, that will give you probability of 25% exhibiting the condition based on the principle of recessive inheritance which is what DD is said to be.

Barry, it did not seem to affect the price. If you are confident in your knowledge of breeding and genetics, I can see why it would not. Would not bother me as long as I knew that one of the pair being mated was free.

BTW, they made a clear statement that this is not a condition limited to Angus cattle.

The black breeds are all getting kind of bunched together and a good bit of the money and academics are right behind them, but science and common sense are turning against all the problems they are creating. Interesting times.

Inyati I think the story that this tells when you have 3 carriers average over $50,000 its a big boys game they can afford the throw aways. I cant do that I will have to test a few, the carriers in mine are 8 to 10 generations back so the chances are slim but I will never sale one of mine the has the disclaimer on the bottom.
its just my opinion with all this some of the commercial guys will likely get the shaft that don't know about all this yet the AAA says business as always keep registering we will put the disclaimer on the bottom but for the producer that doesn't know he will never look. No matter what breed as seedstock producers the commercial producer should be our #1 priority so if you sell him a carrier bull and he comes up with lots of opens then everybody looses.

Regardless of the other junk, if a sale needs to stroke the ego of the attendants and brag on TV then just change the channel. This is a perfect example of the foolish game so many actually think they need to compete with.

Just another registered multiplier, not true breeders.

bse":1cgf5sq8 said:
Inyati I think the story that this tells when you have 3 carriers average over $50,000 its a big boys game they can afford the throw aways. I cant do that I will have to test a few, the carriers in mine are 8 to 10 generations back so the chances are slim but I will never sale one of mine the has the disclaimer on the bottom.
its just my opinion with all this some of the commercial guys will likely get the shaft that don't know about all this yet the AAA says business as always keep registering we will put the disclaimer on the bottom but for the producer that doesn't know he will never look. No matter what breed as seedstock producers the commercial producer should be our #1 priority so if you sell him a carrier bull and he comes up with lots of opens then everybody looses.

Good point. I wondered about that. Regardless of the means around the DD condition, if I am over at your place picking up an Angus bull, why would I buy the DDC bull when I could buy one of your DDF bulls. Same if I am selecting heifers from a seedstock producer. In my case, who cares. Genetic conditions ain't gonna affect the meat. As long as my clean-up bull is clean and I select semen that is DDF, I will not have any open cows from it.

AllForage":1pwzs7t3 said:
Regardless of the other junk, if a sale needs to stroke the ego of the attendants and brag on TV then just change the channel. This is a perfect example of the foolish game so many actually think they need to compete with.

Just another registered multiplier, not true breeders.

I knew this was the right bait to bring in AllForage. :lol: :lol: I was surprised you hadn't been in yet. :D

I see your point too. But AllForage, we have chosen capitalism as our form of economy. In a capitalist economy, the parties to a transaction determine the prices at which assets, goods, and services are exchanged. That is exactly what we saw in this sale. If Express Angus Ranch can set prices higher by stoking those egos, more power to him. He is just succeeding better than you and I are under the same game plan. Give the man his due. If the grand plan was being the best breeder, maybe you would be the winner. :tiphat:

PS need to put out new bait. ;-) I am sure you didn't watch it. I enjoyed it because I love pretty cattle. But their cattle are magnificent creations. Almost reminded me of thoroughbreds. I know they are not small and maybe not efficient but even you would have to agree, there is still a breeding accomplishment to be appreciated in producing such big, uniform cows with nice form and udders, etc.

Inyati you are correct if you use that DDF bull you cant have the problem if he breeds a female that is a carrier the offspring has a 25% chance of being a carrier. If that potential carrier is way back in the pedigree it gets less and less of a chance with each generation. As a commercial guy you are right it wont effect the meat at all but if you retain heifers it can still be there for years to come. Id like to see something put out there to make everyone aware of these conditions and know it doesn't only involve Angus.
When these folks are buying $50,000 carriers id hope they are flushing or something and with the clean bull they expect 25% to be carriers and throw away, they can afford those tests on their animals I wouldn't want the cost or hassel of having to do it.
Im with you on the success of them I think when Express or anyone else has a good sale like that it helps everyone.

Latest posts