Every thing you need to know about feed safety.

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle

Reaction score
Every thing you need to know about feed safety. :D
Just in case you were not aware, recently the FDA is in charge of feed safety for your animals. Here is every thing you would ever want to know about it.
FDA feed safety

LCCattle":3obpxl4p said:
Just in case you were not aware, recently the FDA is in charge of feed safety for your animals. Here is every thing you would ever want to know about it.
FDA feed safety

You surely are easy to impress. 8) Not much substance in that link.

inyati13":q87p1xjd said:
LCCattle":q87p1xjd said:
FDA feed safety

Did you click on any of the links contained on that page? That's only page 1.

LCCattle":2t4cixjb said:
inyati13":2t4cixjb said:
LCCattle":2t4cixjb said:
FDA feed safety

Did you click on any of the links contained on that page? That's only page 1.

I did not. I see that now. Thanks for posting the link. I am supportive of the effort to make feed safe.

Ky hills":cc6d2x7d said:
I'm all for safety, but more regulations usually means more cost and complications for us farmers.

I agree. Then you got the "Shadow Agencies" like CVM who is delegated by FDA to fulfill their responsibilities under the rules, regulations and directives. If you follow the links, there are other parties that feed at the regulatory trough. Every Act passed in Congress creates a ripple effect. Rules are promulgated and committees, outreach groups, advisors, facilitators, etc. are employed to implement the Act. :cowboy:

M-5":2gr5nhr6 said:
More guberment over reach. It's a shame so many stupid people in the world that they need the government to make decisions for them.
Much like locks are made only to keep honest people honest, so are laws and rules and regulations.
And they must provide a means for those people who violate the laws and rules and regulation to be punished to protect those who obey the laws.
Unfortunately that's the world we live in today or we wouldn't need all these laws and rules and regulations.
If all people obeyed all stop signs we wouldn't need a stop sign law along with police to enforce them or a court to adjudicate them, now would we.
What I do when I don't understand or can't accept new laws and/or rules and regulations is to say it's for people who are placing others in danger and they need to be stopped.
Without the USDA/FDA/FSIS there would be no way to force any recalls of tainted, toxic or dangerous food products.

LCCattle":1iuwfwxr said:
M-5":1iuwfwxr said:
More guberment over reach. It's a shame so many stupid people in the world that they need the government to make decisions for them.
Much like locks are made only to keep honest people honest, so are laws and rules and regulations.
And they must provide a means for those people who violate the laws and rules and regulation to be punished to protect those who obey the laws.
Unfortunately that's the world we live in today or we wouldn't need all these laws and rules and regulations.
If all people obeyed all stop signs we wouldn't need a stop sign law along with police to enforce them or a court to adjudicate them, now would we.
What I do when I don't understand or can't accept new laws and/or rules and regulations is to say it's for people who are placing others in danger and they need to be stopped.
Without the USDA/FDA/FSIS there would be no way to force any recalls of tainted, toxic or dangerous food products.

The concept of regulation is archaic if you want to be philosophical. The 10 commandments are rules as is the golden rule. The punishment is austere. A life time in purgatory.

The fabric of mankind is stitched with rules and punishment. Every culture since mankind gathered in the shelter of a cave has been protected by rules that are enforced by punishment.

LCCattle":elobtk58 said:
M-5":elobtk58 said:

and we wouldn't need those agencies if we let natural selection work as it should either.

M-5":2eg56e0y said:
LCCattle":2eg56e0y said:
M-5":2eg56e0y said:

and we wouldn't need those agencies if we let natural selection work as it should either.

Darryl have you been reading Modern Theories of Evolution?

If mankind would let natural selection run its course that translates to survival of the fittest. Which is most often the strongest most ruthless. The man willing to kill you for your lunch.

That means the man with diabetes dies. That means anyone who is weak dies. If your grandchild is born with a genetic defect, they die. Think about that before you wish for it.

Ron, Its the responsibility of a man to take care of his own and teach his family and offspring how to survive. Same theory in letting a child touch an electric fence. Its not anyone else's responsibility to make sure people are protected from themselves. I have not every read that book or care to.

This regulation was spawned some years ago when the left made claims poor old people were eating dog food and dying on the vine. Pet people, horse dogs and cats owners jumped on the band wagon.
So as I see it, if we have to live with it as cattlemen and cattle are animals, we have a right to use it also, if we need it to protect our cattle from those who see unlawful profit over safety.

LCCattle":27ew7gyz said:
So as I see it, if we have to live with it as cattlemen and cattle are animals, we have a right to use it also, if we need it to protect our cattle from those who see unlawful profit over safety.

They'll just tack on another fee at the sale barn to go with all the others. More laws. More taxes. More enforcement people on the payroll with computers and phones and air conditioned offices driving cars that burn fuel.

In the good ole days you could buy Fido a rabies vaccine at the local feed store. Cheap.

We really don't need more bureaucracy do we? Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?

backhoeboogie":2u9ut47f said:
We really don't need more bureaucracy do we? Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?[/quote:2u9ut47f said:
Unfortunately yes, to combat those who would lie, cheat and steal just to make a profit they are not entitled too. With out these regulations, a victim has no choice buy to file a law suit to recuperate his losses.
Where as if the government steps in they can be fined and/or shut down in addition to paying for damages.
Example: If the calf feed you buy says 16% protein and it only test as 10% protein, that is fraud. So do you want to waste $1,000s to recoup your loss, or let the government handle it and prove your case for you.

But if you are saying that the government is full of waste, abuse and fraud, you are 100% correct and I totally agree with you.

Although we try to provide some basics in our society (we're not going to let you starve and if you have a birth defect and family can't afford to pay for it Medicaid does etc - although people nowadays take WAY TOO MUCH advantage of disability, welfare etc), at the end of the day there is still some element of survival of the fittest. Most qualified candidate gets the job, food, groceries, supplies first come first serve, need great grades to get into medical school etc. The more effort you put into your cattle business the better the payout (hopefully). No one is going to do it for you and you gotta work and put effort in to survive.

Fees, laws, and taxes just transfer wealth from (we need a certain amount of laws in our society so we are not like china with lead/mercury in baby milk etc - but dam if we don't have enough already) those who PRODUCE to those who DON'T PRODUCE.

We PRODUCE. We take life and create more life, nurture it, feed it, put our blood, sweat, and tears into it, get kicked by it, get crapped on by it, take care of it in 20 below and high winds and in 100 degree heat, and feed the world by our hard labor. And often times, we just barely manage to squeak by. If we can't make it, who will feed the world? Certainly not the paper pushers who want to take a larger and larger share of the pie.

If you don't understand survival of the fittest, take a look at our cattle (the weakest don't always survive, freak things can happen in pregnancy and both momma and baby can die, a mountain lion could kill a calf). Look at the South Dakota freak blizzard in October 2013. Ranchers and emergency personnel worked their tail off 24/7 during that storm trying to save as many cattle as they could but try as they might there were colossal losses for many ranchers. None of it the ranchers' fault they could not help it in the slightest. Life happens, stuff happens. Survival of the fittest is nature.

NECowboy":y7torzrn said:
Although we try to provide some basics in our society (we're not going to let you starve and if you have a birth defect and family can't afford to pay for it Medicaid does etc - although people nowadays take WAY TOO MUCH advantage of disability, welfare etc), at the end of the day there is still some element of survival of the fittest. Most qualified candidate gets the job, food, groceries, supplies first come first serve, need great grades to get into medical school etc. The more effort you put into your cattle business the better the payout (hopefully). No one is going to do it for you and you gotta work and put effort in to survive.

Fees, laws, and taxes just transfer wealth from (we need a certain amount of laws in our society so we are not like china with lead/mercury in baby milk etc - but dam if we don't have enough already) those who PRODUCE to those who DON'T PRODUCE.

We PRODUCE. We take life and create more life, nurture it, feed it, put our blood, sweat, and tears into it, get kicked by it, get crapped on by it, take care of it in 20 below and high winds and in 100 degree heat, and feed the world by our hard labor. And often times, we just barely manage to squeak by. If we can't make it, who will feed the world? Certainly not the paper pushers who want to take a larger and larger share of the pie.

If you don't understand survival of the fittest, take a look at our cattle (the weakest don't always survive, freak things can happen in pregnancy and both momma and baby can die, a mountain lion could kill a calf). Look at the South Dakota freak blizzard in October 2013. Ranchers and emergency personnel worked their tail off 24/7 during that storm trying to save as many cattle as they could but try as they might there were colossal losses for many ranchers. None of it the ranchers' fault they could not help it in the slightest. Life happens, stuff happens. Survival of the fittest is nature.

Absolutely. The massive forces of natural selection have not been put into detention by the miracles of mankind.

The advances of medicine have certainly changed some of the dynamics. With the advent of medicine, many inheritable weakness are increasing in our gene pool because medicine has made it possible to attain breeding age and thereby pass those aberrations on. This may be morbid but the scientist in the Nazi regime warned that medicine would undermine our viability as a species by increasing the frequency of deleterious genes in our genetic pool as a species.

NECowboy, you said it well, and as Inyati said about so many being involved in the regulation process, I doubt that many if hardly any of those folks have first hand experience with the day to day issues that producers have to deal with.

Ky hills":r916b9bb said:
NECowboy, you said it well, and as Inyati said about so many being involved in the regulation process, I doubt that many if hardly any of those folks have first hand experience with the day to day issues that producers have to deal with.

You are correct.

Latest posts