Ever fed this to cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Something that I have to ask. I dont use it but some of the producers here use citrus pellets to make their feed cheaper. How can we truck it that far and it still be cheaper?

kenny thomas":1hcst4rk said:
Something that I have to ask. I dont use it but some of the producers here use citrus pellets to make their feed cheaper. How can we truck it that far and it still be cheaper?
I'll take a guess and say a back haul of something. Might not be though. I do know every truck that brought me corn gluten picked up something within 50-70 miles of me. Cottonseed, CSM or rice bran.

Cargill owns 90% of it thru contract...I only get it cuz I work for the processor. @ 235/ton if I wasn't getting paid to load it and due process I wouldn't buy it either. I get no discount either since Cargill owns it not Tropicana...we just make it
most of it goes overseas..idk how they can afford it

kenny thomas":1xhdt0yg said:
Hook":1xhdt0yg said:
kenny thomas":1xhdt0yg said:
When good 16% feed is just $5 per 50 lb why take a chance. For years we bought peanuts from Lance company that the date had ran out on the package. We fed them to the squirrels.
Where are you getting that Kenny? Bulk feed in our drums is 10.03/50 right now
5 ton will be delivered into my feed bin sometime tonight or in the morning. At $200 a ton thats $5 per 50 lb. I can get 12 or 14% even cheaper.
You can bet that 12-14% will have plenty of worthless shyt in it at that price.Stay with corn and add some protein to it.

Lucky_P":1kcigjaj said:
I'm not a meat scientist, but I've read that the lipid profile of peanuts would make for pork fat that's soft, and doesn't 'set up' well. You'd have to feed some corn or something right at the tail end of the feeding period. Don't have any knowledge of what it'd do for cows - though they're probably a pretty good protein and fat source...not sure I'd go for 'em at that price...
Limit feed it like we do whole cottonseed.

polledbull":3pfezh6n said:
I can get cargill 14% medicated with gainpro for $190.00 here in NC
Bet the crude fiber is 18-20% too...Gainpro like Bovatec or Rumensin will make a crappy feed "decent" for an addition $8.00 a ton.

I saw that ad, beat prices I was feeding hogs for personal use.

Peanuts make Virginia ham. Can feed up to 30%, but Ive only used for finishing due to expense.

Latest posts