Ever eat a Gar?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Was thinking bout getting the ol' recurve bow out and hittin the shallows in the river.

Used to go all the time and shoot needlenose gar. Pretty hard to clean (takes a sharp hatchet) but when boiled in crab boil the backstraps taste zackly like lopster. ;-)

prolly. look like this?
PickerelRedfinA400.jpg

redfin-pickerel.jpg

prolly. look like this?

That'd be him alright.

That ain't nothin but an ol northern pike.

I thought a Northern Pike got big? These "Jackfish" don't get over 1-1 to 1/2 lbs. Not much meat on them bones either. :lol:

MikeC":1tnmjvlt said:
prolly. look like this?

That'd be him alright.

I thought a Northern Pike got big? These "Jackfish" don't get over 1-1 to 1/2 lbs. Not much meat on them bones either. :lol:

Mike - those things you call Gar are pike.

The size in the pics is what we call "hammer handles". Keep them and use them for bait.

A real nice pike runs in the 20 - 25 pound range.

Seen one caught in the NWT - went almost 39 pounds. Big brute.

Bez>

Bez>":83h15uip said:
MikeC":83h15uip said:
prolly. look like this?

That'd be him alright.

The size in the pics is what we call "hammer handles". Keep them and use them for bait.

Bez>

No, what I call a Gar is a Gar. We have Alligator Gar and Needlenose Gar.

The hing that Beefy posted is what you are talking about.

I call them Jackfish, you call them Pike. Either way, they don't get that big down here. All the REAL fish keep them pushed away from the table I guess.......... :lol:

MikeC":2mky0yh3 said:
Bez>":2mky0yh3 said:
MikeC":2mky0yh3 said:
prolly. look like this?

That'd be him alright.

Bez>

No, what I call a Gar is a Gar. We have Alligator Gar and Needlenose Gar.

The hing that Beefy posted is what you are talking about.

I call them Jackfish, you call them Pike. Either way, they don't get that big down here. All the REAL fish keep them pushed away from the table I guess.......... :lol:
All of the real fish? Why don't you put your finger in his mouth?

The ones that only get to a pound or so that we called hammer handles are pickerel. Same family but they don;t get the size of a northern pike. There's probobaly a dozen different types of pickerel, grass, chain, etc.
GP.gif

There was a time when I had time to bow fish and take some gar and such, but I have never eaten one.

When we were kids of the farm we took all the trash fish (gar, sucker fish, soft shell turtles etc) and fed them to the hogs. Those were our domestic hogs. Grandaddy used to bury them in the garden for fertilizer but that was too much work for us kids :lol: :lol:

dun":1zli5nb0 said:
The ones that only get to a pound or so that we called hammer handles are pickerel. Same family but they don;t get the size of a northern pike. There's probobaly a dozen different types of pickerel, grass, chain, etc.
GP.gif

Hmm .. interesting - Mike and I can agree on his Gar and Pike and Jack fish now that things are cleared up.

This pic is a pike.

Pickeral in my area grow to over 10 pounds and are the same as Walleye - depends usually on where you grew up as to what you called them.

Bez>

Gar around here have a mouth like a gator... dont wanna put your hand in their mouths... We used to spear em, or shoot them with a bow/arrow when I was younger.. fun stuff.
Eat em? never ate a gar... but ate plenty of other fish...

We used to stick Carp with arrows also. Had an older black lady that we took them to.

She'd boil them and separate the meat from the bones, mix up spices, onions and other stuff with the meat.

Then take that and fry it like a Salmon Croquette.(sp?)

Good stuff!

Yeah I know, a gar is not the same as a Northern pike. The Northerns don't get down that far, and we don't have gars up here. Our Northerns are good eating, but should be at least 3 pounds. Otherwise the bones.
:shock: :shock:

Surprised some them cajuns have not replied. Yes, I have eaten alligator gar - typically in the form of gar balls.

Limomike":3h9qbwj3 said:
Gar around here have a mouth like a gator... dont wanna put your hand in their mouths... We used to spear em, or shoot them with a bow/arrow when I was younger.. fun stuff.
Eat em? never ate a gar... but ate plenty of other fish...

Yup, alligator gar. Never ate one though, used to shoot them with a 22.

Alligator Gar:

Alligatorgar.jpg

The Needlenose Gar don't get this big......only 3-4 feet, tops.

Their snout is much longer too.

MikeC":1gum4cl2 said:
Alligator Gar:

Alligatorgar.jpg

The Needlenose Gar don't get this big......only 3-4 feet, tops.

Their snout is much longer too.

That picture just doesnt look right to me. Seems like the fish is beating the laws of physics the way its sitting on that board.

Latest posts