Ever eat a Gar?

Help Support CattleToday:

Never ate gar???????? I think us Cajuns were raised to know gar as a staple. Gar fish balls (boullettes) are awesome. The gar in that picture is very common round here. We spear ones like those regularly. i fish out of a 12' cypress pirouge in the pits and have seen on many occasions putting one of those big boys in the boat and have to sit him like a saddle to paddle back. they regularly take up the whole boat. Never ate gar......

Conagher":5pzjimv2 said:
Surprised some them cajuns have not replied. Yes, I have eaten alligator gar - typically in the form of gar balls.

I din;t realize gar had ............ never mind

dun

Someone told me that the eggs out of a gar were poisnous if eaten. I dont think I would intentionally eat a fish egg anyway unless I was mighty hungry.

dun":6flgc8ae said:
Conagher":6flgc8ae said:
Surprised some them cajuns have not replied. Yes, I have eaten alligator gar - typically in the form of gar balls.

dun

Sure dun, I think they call em cajun river gar fries...... :lol:

MikeC":24r12qmj said:
Was thinking bout getting the ol' recurve bow out and hittin the shallows in the river.

Used to go all the time and shoot needlenose gar. Pretty hard to clean (takes a sharp hatchet) but when boiled in crab boil the backstraps taste zackly like lopster. ;-)
i would never eat a gar. i just dont think they look very tastey.

dun":1ponv1t4 said:
Conagher":1ponv1t4 said:

dun
dun, i agree with you. i hadnt a clue

MikeC":2l3jhdvj said:
Alligator Gar:

Alligatorgar.jpg

The Needlenose Gar don't get this big......only 3-4 feet, tops.

Their snout is much longer too.

HOLY CRAP!!! IS IT COMMON FOR GAR TO GET THAT BIG???? WHERE>?

When fishing one of the local rivers as a kid we would usually catch atleast one of these on accident. We usually just cut the line and started over. Their teeth look deadly. got some info from this site:

http://fishing.about.com/od/bowfinandga ... or_gar.htm

Alligator Gar Information
Alligator Gar (Atractosteus spatula)(picture) are a huge fish that looks like a cross between an alligator and a fish.

Alligator Gar Description - This long streamline fish has a head that is flattened and looks much like an alligator. The tail is wide and rounded and there are two fins on top and bottom just in front of the tail fin. There are two more bottom fins, one about half way up the body and another just behind the head. They are similar in looks to a pike in body shape. Their teeth are sharp and protrude on either side of their bill-like mouth.

Alligator Gar Size - World record on rod and reel is 279 pounds but they get bigger - some have been reported up to 350 pounds and 10 feet long. Most caught by fishermen and bow fishermen now is around 100 pounds.

Alligator Gar Distribution - From the Florida panhandle up the Mississippi drainage to the Ohio and Missouri Rivers where they enter, west to Mexico. The natural distribution is a crescent covering that area of North America.

What Alligator Gar Eat - Anything they can get into their mouths! They tend to prey on other fish.

Alligator Gar Spawn - In the spring a female Alligator Gar will swim along with two or three males swimming in formation with her. As she releases her eggs the males release sperm and the fertilized eggs fall to the bottom and stick to debris there. The female carries an average of 138,000 eggs.

Alligator Gar Attraction to Light - They often are seen on top of the water on bright days but come to light at night to find smaller fish attracted to the light.

Alligator Gar Life Cycle - Grow slowly and take a long time to mature. Females mature at 11 years old and live up to 50 years. Males mature at age six and live to at least 26 years old.

Alligator Gar Problems - Although they look scary and ugly they do not hurt people and do no damage to game fish populations.

Forum Discussion - Join in a discussion of Alligator Gar.

Alligator Gar are not very common and it takes them a long time to grow to huge sizes. They are edible but the eggs are toxic to warm blooded animals and birds.

Tyler Patterson":yhl7xkpp said:
MikeC":yhl7xkpp said:
Was thinking bout getting the ol' recurve bow out and hittin the shallows in the river.

Used to go all the time and shoot needlenose gar. Pretty hard to clean (takes a sharp hatchet) but when boiled in crab boil the backstraps taste zackly like lopster. ;-)
i would never eat a gar. i just dont think they look very tastey.

When you take the skin (armor :lol: ) off the little needle nose gar, you cut the two backstraps out. They are as clean and white as any fish you will see.

They have about the same texture and taste as Lobster Tail. A little chewey but great.

Lots of gar in Florida, they bury themselfs in the mud and come back out after a good rain just like walking catfish. Have seen them in my cow pasture after a good rain. Been so long since I seen rain forgot what thats like.
I have eaten Gar outa the Kissimee River.
I didn't catch it.
Clean it. Nor cook it. That always taste better yup.

We don't have any gar around here but lots of pickeral, pike, and musky which are similar.

They don't get as big as an alligater gar but it's not uncommon to see northern pike and musky over 4 feet long.

In fact 40" is the minimum length to keep a musky around here (anything smaller has to be released)

Latest posts