Ethanol------Have you forgotten?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Loin

Reaction score
With E15, the ethanol industry wins, but American consumers lose

In a move likely to take that confidence away from the American consumer, EPA decided to allow the use of gasoline containing 15 percent ethanol (E15) for model year motor vehicles 2001 and newer, a 50 percent increase from the current limit of 10 percent ethanol (E10). In its rush to force E15 on the market, the EPA neglected to conduct basic testing necessary to ensure the safety of American consumers. Rather, it placed political science and largesse for the ethanol industry ahead of real science and consumer welfare.
Furthermore, under the Renewable Fuels Standard, or RFS, refiners will likely be mandated to blend increasing amounts of biofuels, of which primarily ethanol is a significant portion of the mandate, into the fuel supply, eventually reaching 36 billion gallons by 2022.
The American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers Association (AFPM), representing U.S. refiners, along with a number of other industries and organizations, including automakers, small equipment and boat manufacturers and owners, motorcycle groups, food groups and the environmental community, are highly concerned with the host of potential problems in allowing E15 into commercial use. Regardless of EPA's blind approval of its use, studies have shown that it's not suitable for any gasoline-powered engine, including ones EPA has deemed capable of running on E15.
A recent study by the Coordinating Research Council (CRC) found that the use of E15 can result in significant engine damage in newer vehicles. Nearly 5 million vehicles currently on the road have similar characteristics to the newer vehicles that failed in the study.
Source: http://www.humanevents.com/2012/09/18/w ... mers-lose/

Ethanol may fuel higher food prices
That has reignited the so-called food vs. fuel debate, a long-running shouting match between the oil and livestock lobbies, which believe relatively new fuel standards are diverting corn resources away from the consumer and artificially driving up food prices, and the clean energy contingent, which sees the standards as necessary framework toward a post-oil America.
Source: http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2012 ... nav%7Chead

Have you forgotten that ethanol is the brain child of " man made global warming" which has been scientifically proven to be based solely on junk science?

SL

Global warming has been thoroughly debunked but the smart money is on climate change. Surely we will see a new tax out of that one. :banana:

My crystal ball sez we can expect to see another windfall period for the 2 cycle repair shops.
I need to invest in whoever makes the little fuel lines that go inside the tanks of weedeaters and chainsaws.
I'll be rich i tell ya--RICH!

While the standards are still in place there still seems to be a great deal of debate, politically, over how much corn should go to fuel and how much to foods. "In a short statement, EPA officials said they would continue to monitor the condition of the corn crop before making a decision about how much ethanol should make it into gas tanks this year." The lure of the Iowa vote might just swing the politicians over to ethanol production but then a lot of food producers and consumers are starting to get antsy over higher corn prices now. It should get interesting.

I think congress should just pass a law requiring corn to produce bumper crops. Or maybe this would be simpler via a presidential mandate.

Good idea Greybeard. Of course if the supreme court would hold Washington liable for the damage to motors and carburetors then this wouldn't play out to well.

So far, Ethanol in the gas has cost me a little over $3000 to get my Mule, lawn mower and other small engine tools fixed. EPA going to pay for that? (Rhetorical question - of course not).

Hook you and have one thing in common when it comes to fuel, ETHANOL by process of elimination ethanol can be ruled out as the culprit as I do not have the problems you do. If it was ethanol we both would be having problems. But propaganda has got the best of your brain, and the 250+ degree heat index melted the rest of it.

crimsoncrazy":hz3g6eyg said:
Never use it. Always 100% gas.

Where do you buy your gas without ethanol? I called my supplier of farm fuels about this and was told ALL gasoline has at least 10% Ethanol. Maybe I need to change suppliers.

Inbred, how much gas do you store and how often do you refill your tank? I have a 300 gallon storage tank and buy about 100 to 150 gallons twice a year. The fuel is mixed with Stabil or other conditioner. According to everything I have read the gasoline w/Ethanol will start to separate after about 45 days depending on humidity. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and the temp is in the high 90's with humidity also in the mid 90's. Fuel tanks are overhead and in the shade. Never had this problem before a few years ago but maybe you're right. Don't know anything else to blame though.

Natural gas has gotten so cheap they have quit making swiss cheese out of Texas. It doesn't pay much to drill. Ethanol makes no sense at all. There are lot of lands sitting on rich deposits of gas that will remain untapped until we get our heads out of our rears.

backhoeboogie":1bd62ked said:
Natural gas has gotten so cheap they have quit making swiss cheese out of Texas. It doesn't pay much to drill. Ethanol makes no sense at all. There are lot of lands sitting on rich deposits of gas that will remain untapped until we get our heads out of our rears.

Up here in ND they are flaring ( burning off the natural gas) just about every oil well. They can't get the pipelines passed through to move it to where it needs to go. Our state is going to built it's own refineries with our own money. The fed regulators are trying to stop it anyway they can.

lavacarancher":3dnd6dc8 said:
crimsoncrazy":3dnd6dc8 said:
Never use it. Always 100% gas.

Where do you buy your gas without ethanol? I called my supplier of farm fuels about this and was told ALL gasoline has at least 10% Ethanol. Maybe I need to change suppliers.

Inbred, how much gas do you store and how often do you refill your tank? I have a 300 gallon storage tank and buy about 100 to 150 gallons twice a year. The fuel is mixed with Stabil or other conditioner. According to everything I have read the gasoline w/Ethanol will start to separate after about 45 days depending on humidity. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and the temp is in the high 90's with humidity also in the mid 90's. Fuel tanks are overhead and in the shade. Never had this problem before a few years ago but maybe you're right. Don't know anything else to blame though.

It's not too hard to find in Oklahoma. A lot of gas stations have pumps that have both. One for ethanol and One for 100% gas.

inbredredneck":2vke2fu4 said:
Hook you and have one thing in common when it comes to fuel, ETHANOL by process of elimination ethanol can be ruled out as the culprit as I do not have the problems you do. If it was ethanol we both would be having problems. But propaganda has got the best of your brain, and the 250+ degree heat index melted the rest of it.
You must be right. 15million or so people in the south must be wrong.
You're just mad that I made you look the fool on the other thread. Just let me know when you want those eared cattle. Maybe you can send me some of that 10% blend fuel that doesn't seperate at all. So I can see it for myself

Galloway2":2v4ekonk said:
backhoeboogie":2v4ekonk said:

Up here in ND they are flaring ( burning off the natural gas) just about every oil well. They can't get the pipelines passed through to move it to where it needs to go. Our state is going to built it's own refineries with our own money. The fed regulators are trying to stop it anyway they can.
I can remember them doing the same think here in Texas, Oklahoma, and in La back in the 50-60s--it was pretty much considered a waste by-product. The 70s came along with the OPEC embargo and not long afterwards they're drilling FOR gas all over the Anadarko and Tuscaloosa Trend. The Tuscaloosa had a lot of high pressure--better be on your toes there. We drilled a relief well for an operator a little North of Baton Rouge that had just lost a rig to an underground bowout--the whole rig and location went down with the derrick standing up, along with 23 trailer houses, 3-4 Halliburton trucks and all their equipment. It finally bridged off and we got the relief well finished and permantly plugged it. No fire and no one got hurt except one hand that jumped off a mud tank into the reserve pit and broke a leg.
I thought I had seen some good rigs in La and East Texas till I went up to the Anadarko around Elk City Okla--Ya don't want to venture into that country without some BIG iron. That was some serious drilling up there and one of the coldest places I ever worked.

hooknline":3jt0f93g said:
inbredredneck":3jt0f93g said:
You must be right. 15million or so people in the south must be wrong.
You're just mad that I made you look the fool on the other thread. Just let me know when you want those eared cattle. Maybe you can send me some of that 10% blend fuel that doesn't seperate at all. So I can see it for myself
I guess I missed where you made a fool of me, the only fool I saw was some old boy from Florida who thinks 250+ heat index is common in Florida. Pure genius.

Go back and read it again. Never said anything about heat index but you said Wisconsin was a bad as florida.
Tell me again how alike the 2 states are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts