Help Support CattleToday:

Do you understand EPDs?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
being that I am a coach with a degree in health , I'll try to answer your anatomy question. Your butt gets tired because of the squatting action used to dig the holes. Your but muscles are not used to that particular motion and you get a build-up of lactic acid that causes soreness. Try stretching before and after to reduce the soreness.
I cant believe that I am able to answer a question on this board. Man, that feels good!

looks like humble pie must hav a different ailment. his but muscles seem to be connected to his mouth muscles in a paticualr way that bs spews everywhere when he talks. if he ever took a big enough dose of his own medicine he would have to squat and pass a bale of hay

Rookie":1jtlaes6 said:
Frankie":1jtlaes6 said:
We've had some discussions on the board lately about how many producers understand EPDs. I firmly believe most commercial cattlemen understand the concept, at least in my area. Though I don't know how representative this board will be of commercial cattlemen, I'd like to see how many people on these boards do understand EPDs. Thanks...

I dont have a clue what epd's are :oops:

george

If you're interested in learning, here are a couple of links that give explanations of EPDs and how to use them.

Angus
http://www.angus.org/pubs/bullbuy.htm
Hereford
http://www.hereford.org/Acrobat/Perf/ss_S04_Preface.pdf

D.R. Cattle":1tfatk8m said:
Humble Pie":1tfatk8m said:
I enjoy competing against the incompent losers who don't understand EPD's. The problem I have is that we need to implement a national ID system but you hobby farmers don't know a hole from your ass so were in a pickle here. If I have it my way you will comply or you will be phased out like you should be. You my friends are a liability that as a FOR PROFIT rancher I cannot afford. Take your tax right offs elswhere friends we now have a AG secretary from NEBRASKA!!!!!!!

Your name isn't very fitting of your attitude.

The attitude isn't very fitting of this forum, and HP doesn't know he is in America and not Russia it seems.

Frankie":25gj9s7p said:
Bret":25gj9s7p said:
I had to vote no. I am very weak on EPD's.

I keep gaining. For my requirements I am interested in the basics: Can I can expect a small first calf the first time out of my heifers with little help from me, etc. My vet and mentor does most of the straw picking(AI)with a nod from me like I really know. Learning is more important at my stage of ranch and herd development.

I think us hobby people do have something to contribute to the industry however.

Now about my anatomy and holes in the ground--I can only say my butt gets tired when I dig post holes by hand. Why is that?

It's good you have a mentor. I, too, think "hobby" people have something to contribute. Something like 80% of the beef sold in the US is produced in herds of less than 50 cattle. Not many people can live on the profit from 50 head of cattle, so they likely mostly hobby farms. In my area, the average herd is less than 50 cattle.

Heck, if you want to look at that way, Express Ranches, is a "hobby" operation. They probably have thousands of cattle, but the owner is a multi-millionaire, maybe a billionaire. I doubt that he and his family are living in the style they're living in on his cattle profits.

I read on a TAMU site that the average ranch in Texas had 20 head, look at all those hobby boys in Texas.

Humble Pie":2ibgwns0 said:
I enjoy competing against the incompent losers who don't understand EPD's. The problem I have is that we need to implement a national ID system but you hobby farmers don't know a hole from your ass so were in a pickle here. If I have it my way you will comply or you will be phased out like you should be. You my friends are a liability that as a FOR PROFIT rancher I cannot afford. Take your tax right offs elswhere friends we now have a AG secretary from NEBRASKA!!!!!!!
HP you have the swagger of an epd user but your grammer would put you more in my camp I am afraid. You seem familiar but I just can't put my finger on your name........not very eloquent...not very bright....not too well rounded........small minded.....hmmmmmm......Nebraska.......moron................EUREKA..Hello again BP or Should I call you The One. Aren't you an angus breeder? Aren't you an R Calf member? Aren't you a Democrat? Oh well I can't hold being an angus breeder against you.

Humble Pie":3tc2aogq said:

HP,
Dude, put down the crack pipe and try posting another message. Perhaps one that contributes something worthwhile. Or did Ollie's powers of deduction send you packin'?

Humble Pie":j5ew3njx said:

boy your as crazy as a sh-t house rat! whats wrong with you
sober yourself up and start making sense

Sherry":dwf2schp said:
Just what is a "Hobby Farmer"? Ya'll don't laugh at my question...I am serious!
Hobby farmer would be a person with few animals that just has them for having them. Not making a living off of them or anything like that just have them to have them.

Jake, you know I don't understand EPDs! I am trying to understand "Humble Pie"...He must be plain stupid if he thinks anyone has cattle just for pleasure and NO profit, there might be one or two out there, but not many. I don't know a thing, but I know about the expense even when we began with only 8 cows. If it is just for pleasure you better have some GREEN and I don't mean GRASS.

we use epd's when we select bulls for ai'ing our hiefers. i look for birthweight under 2. i also look for ww and yw. i want them to be as high as possible.

Latest posts