English lesson 101

Help Support CattleToday:

Not meaning to hijack the original posting :lol: , but -

I'd probably have to spend a lot of money reinforcing the runways for the cattle to to walk up and down when modeling their ensembles.

You would have to really spend a lot of money if you reinforced the runways if you dressed up Crowder's wimmens to walk up and down as models.

Oh, disregard this post. I see DCara was talking about cattle!!

Offence may or may not be intended.

jw":s3cw6238 said:
Not meaning to hijack the original posting :lol: , but -

I'd probably have to spend a lot of money reinforcing the runways for the cattle to to walk up and down when modeling their ensembles.

You would have to really spend a lot of money if you reinforced the runways if you dressed up Crowder's wimmens to walk up and down as models.

Oh, disregard this post. I see DCara was talking about cattle!!

Offence may or may not be intended.

Crowder's wimmens would make better submarines. Naw, on second thought, sea level may rise a bit high.

No offense Crowder, we all know how proud you are of 'em.

3waycross":3mw7sfxv said:
Keep it up people.

I would have never known there were that many ways to defend the right to be , and stay illiterate.

Every one of your attacks on me proves my point, especially the Kentuckyians who make fun of other peoples family trees. WOW that is the best one of all.

Now Ya'all take off your shoes(if you'uns wear them) and count up all the reasons(using all 11 of your fingers and all 8 of your toes) why it makes sense to keep attacking me.

By the way "Usernametaken" I'll expect to hear from you in another 24 hours when you've had time to think up another snappy comeback. Heck why not hire a local knowledger amd do it in 23 hours.

Meanwhile I'm going to take MY Hillbilly Grandma's advice and stop arguing with idiots!

SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey thats so funny .That is the same advice my Hillbilly Grandma told me. I just chose to take it a little quicker.

hink":39t51kte said:
Hey thats so funny .That is the same advice my Hillbilly Grandma told me. I just chose to take it a little quicker.

touche' :lol: (I'm liking this hink person already)

Alice":4v3skoz1 said:
Ya' know....using the word sell instead of sale has always rankled me. Maybe it's 'cause my mother was an English professor. That said, my mother also was very vehement on one thing..."Some things are better left unsaid."

And now, 'nuff said...

Alice

I agree. Another one that's always bothered me is using "loose" when it should be "lose".

Don't loose my car keys. Incorrect.
Don't lose my car keys. Correct.

Seen it more than once here and other places, but it's never been a big enough deal to call someone on the carpet over it. None of us are perfect and, as Alice said, some things are better left unsaid.

Having said that, I want to thank you all for a very entertaining thread. And to you, hink, I'm terribly sorry about your situation. Hang in there.

What the hell does touche' mean.Sorry but Im an uneducated southerner who intentionately butchers the english language.I sure dont know any french.Or is that mexican.Sorry I meant to say I dont no no french.

jj216":30g7scwa said:
What the be nice does touche' mean.Sorry but Im an uneducated southerner who intentionately butchers the english language.I sure dont know any french.Or is that mexican.Sorry I meant to say I dont no no french.

JJ , I don't knows no French either, but I think Touche is a french word, course when Maximillan and Carlotta with the blessing of Napoleon, went to rule Mexico they could have brought it with them. From the days when people fought with swords - in the whatever you call it, fencing I think, If you had been got by your opponent, and then somehow weasel yours way out of it, and get him in the bad sityation, then you get to say touche - I got ya! At least thats how I've been using it. Not sure how that ties in with the fencing I've got to do and how its gonna get me. Pretty sure I won't get to say touche back to it.

jj216":1pq27fyi said:
What the be nice does touche' mean.

As I understand it - it basically means "well said, and you are absolutely correct".

Sorry but Im an uneducated southerner who intentionately butchers the english language.

Perhaps you might want to consider raising your standards - on education, as well as butchering the English language? :)

3waycross":1280v6gx said:
No offense taken. Been puttin up with Texans and their Bull---t for my whole life.

As far as actually going there, reminds me of the Prologue of a BOOK I READ. It said " Poor New Mexico, so far from heaven and so close to Texas. Think I'll stay here and keep New Mexico between us.

Funny thing is I've known a lot of great Southerners in my life none of them talk that way. Course most of them was 8th grade gradgiates.

As a matter of fact I'm 1/4 Oakie and NONE of my relatives from OK or MO. talked that way.

and thanks for the threat, makes you sound even more intelligent.

One thing about it, 3way, if you're going to be confined to a state, because in leaving it you might find yourself getting your a$$ kicked, Colorado is sure a nice one to be stuck in!

I've been a Texan for all but 3 of my 56 years, and I spent those 3 years in your fine state. I had a lot of Colorado natives poke good natured fun at me during my three years there - particularly about my Texas drawl.

And the closest to actually getting MY a$$ kicked occurred during my tenure as a Colorado resident. That first fall I made the mistake of heading to the Medicine Bow Mountains of Wyoming, taking in the scenery, and while up there I encountered a group of Wyoming natives that really took offense to the fact that a "Greenie" was out running around in THEIR hunting area - which in reality was National Forest land!

My Texas drawl came in really handy as I quickly explained that the "green" licensed pickup was a rental and I was really a NATIVE Texan enjoying looking at the scenery and the wildlife! I found it really interesting that THEY found that much more acceptable than me being a "Greenie"!

George

US Hereford

I said I wouldn't argue anymore and I won't. But, I felt your post deserved an answer. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. Was it time spent at Fort Carson in the service or did you just live here for a while. If you were at Fort Carson , Thanks for your service. Sounds like we're pretty much the same age. Definately too old for me to be fighting with people on the internet.

I've never figured out the Wyoming thing, we do pretty much what the Texans have done here for a long time. Recreate a little spend ,some money, and leave. I guarantee they will like Greenies a lot more if they get the influx of left wing Californians we have had for years now. They don't leave, they build their trophy homes on ridgelines and in the middle of what were productive hay meadows, and then they start making Colo over in their image. We've become a state of 5 to 35 acre Ranchettes and Art galleries. They also make sure to vote against every school bond issue since they already raised their spawn before leaving the left coast. Now their mission is Manifest destiny in reverse. Their here to save Colo from the oldtimers who have tried to keep it un spoiled for the last couple hundred years. If this offended any Calirodoans, GOOD. I meant it. Offense very much intended. Our trees have all been hugged go save somewhere else.

As far as being stuck here goes; I go anywhere I want! The only thing that keeps me from going anywhere, at all, is a couple of Pi--ed off husbands that want to shoot me for 30yrs, and an ex wife up in Montana who probably should have shot me.

Too all the rest of Ya'all if venting on me make you feel better have at it. I've got a pretty thick hide. Besides I pretty much don't give a s--t.

Amazing how discussions on cattle can end up like this.

3Way, you may be gramatically correct, but you're socially stupid (no offense?).

If you think you have such thick skin, post a naked photo of yourself here and let us critique how you look. My point is, we all have weaknesses we'd like to conceal to avoid ridicule and to feel accepted. Yet to post on here, we are required to expose ourselves to some extent. It's just human nature to not enjoy public embarrassment. I suppose we should all develop more thick skin, but we're all built different and at different points in our development.

You're right, if you have pet peeves, do a general thread without singling people out.

Interesting that there were several errors in 3waycross's last post. Anyway, unless you were born here, like I was, and several generations before me, everyone else is a newcomer. We were newcomers 120 years ago. It's always interesting that once someone gets here, they want to close the border to anyone else who wants to make the same choice.

6M Ranch":15u0cpqk said:
Interesting that there were several errors in 3waycross's last post. Anyway, unless you were born here, like I was, and several generations before me, everyone else is a newcomer. We were newcomers 120 years ago. It's always interesting that once someone gets here, they want to close the border to anyone else who wants to make the same choice.

Never said I was perfect, my grammatical mistakes are just that mistakes, it's the intent that bothers me. To know it's wrong and do it anyway is what doesn't make sense. I never claimed to be perfect, the only perfect person died on a cross a couple thousand years ago. As far as being here if you and yours are here for 120 years you beat us by 13yrs, and yes I was born here.

My family came here just like yours to make a better life and build a future for their kids, not to show off their west coast wealth and make everyone miserable with their politics.

How can you have the tag line that you have without knowing just exactly what I mean.

How many of the west coast crowd do you think are conservative Christians? Do you think they respect your right to own firearms? They're slowly legislating our lifestyle out of existance. If you don't believe me, what happened to the spring bear season?

It's not about closing the borders, doesn't work anyway!

You and I both know you haven't eaten Spotted Owl but if it was up to most of Colorados' recent immigrants you wouldn't be eating anything with fur or feathers. Including BEEF.

Hope you enjoyed the State you grew up in , cause it's almost gone.

Not trying to be critical. Point is the old adage about glass houses. I know what you mean about Colorado. The house I grew up in is a museum now. You've got to get east of Denver a 100 miles or so to get back to the way it was. Problem out there, kids aren't staying at home. They're all moving to town. Can't blame them with the price of cattle, and the on-going drought in most of the state, this year not withstanding.

3waycross":25bc9p3v said:
Definately too old for me to be fighting with people on the internet.

Well if we all rolled over anytime someone disagreed this wouldn't be much of a board.

I don't like the spell checkers either, but what I hate is intentional poor writing that makes posts hard to read.

Especially if someone is asking for help.

Sometimes having a discussion with someone over a topic you disagree on is educational to both involved, and those watching. Often it is hilarious as well. :lol:

ALX.":zh8xb6w8 said:
but what I hate is intentional poor writing that makes posts hard to read.

I never knew folks intentionally do that. How do you know? I find it hard to believe except when it was done in this post and maybe others as satire.

Wewild":18u60pj2 said:
How do you know?

There can't be that many people that can't spell or form a sentence or paragraph in their origial post, but then become entirely competent in the ensuing argument!

I am definately not perfect, but I do make an effort to format somewhat correctly, and make my posts readable.

But you do bring up a good point - if 3way didn't attempt to correct poor writing, we wouldn't even be discussing it.

There are VERY knowledgeable cattle folks that post in here that we all can see have trouble with the typing/spelling. That is not what I am talking about. It is the folks trying to be "homey" or "colloquial" that irritate.

I personally hate scrolling through one paragraph that should have been 3 or 4. Lose your place - back to point A!

I love the 2 faced - they rail how schools don't teach how to spell or use correct grammar, then they permit or endorse the same thing in here!

Wewild":agrz64ke said:
ALX.":agrz64ke said:

I never knew folks intentionally do that. How do you know?

Sure they do - arrogance, complacency(sp?), simply not caring, adopting the attitude of "I've gotten by with it before, so why not now?", probably many other reasons as well. While it it true that some people simply don't know better, there are a lot of people out there who do know better, and that are just to lazy/don't care enough to put the time and effort into writing/posting/speaking correctly.

msscamp":2nims68z said:
Wewild":2nims68z said:
ALX.":2nims68z said:

I never knew folks intentionally do that. How do you know?

Sure they do - arrogance, complacency(sp?), simply not caring, adopting the attitude of "I've gotten by with it before, so why not now?", probably many other reasons as well. While it it true that some people simply don't know better, there are a lot of people out there who do know better, and that are just to lazy/don't care enough to put the time and effort into writing/posting/speaking correctly.

Sorry Msscamp just had to do this please take no offence as my typo's are as bad or worse;however the scenario is funny.

Latest posts