Banding 101

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron9876

Reaction score
I need to band my first calf (2 1/2 month old angus cross). It was a bottle calf i was gifted because the farmer didnt want to mess with it. I've just turned it loose into the pasture so its time to do the deed...

I need the rundown on procedure and some advice

From what ive read so far i need to vaccinate it several weeks prior to banding which is where i have the most questions.

The actual banding part seems quite straight forward. Make sure you get the band in the correct position and that you get both of them, Curious if anyone applies an antiseptic of some sort with the band or cleans/disinfectants prior to applying the band? Also there seem to be two different systems for banding. Given the age of the calf which type would you recommend?

use the small "cheerio" band, you are right it's very straight forward, have never used disinfectants or tetanus shots with the small bands and have never had a problem
I've only given tetanus shot when using the large bander/ over 500 lbs

Yeah, just the green bands will work. We don't do anything to disinfect. We do give tetanus.. He may be uncomfortable for a couple hours, but after that he'll be just fine. Will take about a month for the nuts to fall off depending on the weather. They'll get gross, smelly, then finally dry up and fall off.

cowgirl8":1l1qhb71 said:
Yeah, just the green bands will work. We don't do anything to disinfect. We do give tetanus.. He may be uncomfortable for a couple hours, but after that he'll be just fine. Will take about a month for the nuts to fall off depending on the weather. They'll get gross, smelly, then finally dry up and fall off.
Do you give the tetanus 2 weeks prior to banding and then the booster when you band?

After applying band and counting to 2, if you will make a slit or 2 thru the scrotum below the band, this will allow the nuts to dry out and fall off in half the time it takes for unslit ones. Been doing this for many years after got tired of seeing big cutting bulls walking around with a dried out leather sack dangling by the cord for several days before finally falling off.

I've seen tetanus in baby calves banded with the green cheerio, so it's not just a problem for bigger bulls.
If you give tetanus antitoxin(TAT) at the time of banding, it should provide 'immediate' protection...but I'd still recommend giving a multivalent clostridial bacterin/toxoid containing tetanus toxoid(TT), in addition to the TAT... and then a booster at the appropriate time, as recommended on the label, if only for blackleg prevention.
If, however, you're counting on the calf's own response to the tetanus toxoid for protection, I'd want to give an initial dose of clostridial bacterin/toxoid 2-3 weeks prior to banding, then booster at the time of band application.

Have a small set of diaganal cutters handy just in case one slips between the first count and after you apply the band.

Thank you all for the help...

Any additional vaccinations I should give while I'm at or just tetanus and blackleg.

Need to tag him also but I don't believe I have any questions about that...

Little bugger is gunna have a rough day...

Latest posts