Good lesson for the boys

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
We had the vet out yesterday doing preg checks. I was telling my grandsons about keeping away from a cow's head when she's in the head catch and how badly they can hurt you.
I always try to stand with my upper body tilted back when tagging or when putting a halter on to pull their head up.

We had one older cow that didn't calve and was only 2-3 months bred.I wanted to check her teeth and,as I was putting the halter rope on her head, a moment's lapse in judgement got me a face full of cow.Only hit on the upper front below the nose but caused me to spit a little blood a couple of times.About what a weak fist to the mouth might feel like.No broken teeth or nose but a good reminder and a first hand lesson for the boys.

Those old cows that have played the game before will bait you in, then lunge at the last second and whack! Used to nose a lot of cows for the vet. Always tried to keep them at arms length, but I've had by bell wrung a time or two.

Forty years ago when I was still "ten feet tall and bulletproof",I used to catch them in the nose and pull them up.

Cows must be getting stronger than they used to be.I mostly use a rope halter now.

Latest posts