English lesson 101

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":w8bdndd6 said:
usernametaken":w8bdndd6 said:
RN BSN":w8bdndd6 said:
I like that name (( 3waycross )) must have been thinking of your family tree when you picked that out.

Offense intended

:clap: :clap: :clap: :banana:

I have a son who is very dyslexic. He can't spell or write worth a crap. You know, it's a Kentucky hillbilly thing. ( I did get shoes on him when he was 11.) But, he can make a speech and run circles around you 3 way cross. Grammer is not a true measure of intelligence, or even education, but surely someone as educated as you would know that. Didn't those sisters teach you something about charitible actions at school ? We have one school around here we all call the " University of Hired Athletics". Maybe that is where you went ?

Now there's a snappy comeback. Did your wife/cousin help you write it. Or did you sharpen your pencil on that one good tooth and cipher it out yourself.

Figured it out all by myself 3way. And I am a she, so no my wife didn't write it or my cousin. I probably have at least as much education as you - enough to know jumping in this game is a waste of time. But the fact is while Hink is quite gracious I found your remarks offensive and very arrogant. Talk about pet peeves, it is that arrogant thing that is my pet peeve. The part about my son is true. Let the little stuff go... there is enough big stuff to worry about in this world.

My teeth are quite nice, never even needed braces, and yes my parents could afford them.

Does a cattle list need the grammar police ? I certainly make mistakes in grammar on occasion. I hope you don't.

3waycross":1rfubq22 said:
Keep it up people.

I would have never known there were that many ways to defend the right to be , and stay illiterate.

Every one of your attacks on me proves my point, especially the Kentuckyians who make fun of other peoples family trees. WOW that is the best one of all.

Hey 3 way, the first family tree joke came from East TN I believe, not Ky.

Is this quick enough for you.

What the heck is a knowledger ? Is that in the dictionary ?

I've got enough schooling to know this.If your 1/4 Oakie,then the other 3/4 has to be a$$h*le.

3waycross":36zgpyn7 said:
To all of my attackers here. The only mistake I've made in my opinion is not starting a separate thread asking why it's so fashionable to intentionally screw up the english language.

One last thought. I'd say there is a pretty good chance that most if not all of the people who have nailed me for my remark are the same people who upon hearing someone speak Spanish or any other foreign language wil be the first to say why the heck doesn't that foreigner learn to speak English?

The answer: Why should they YOU don't.

Your right about the first part.

On the last part, I would say that they will never earn their potential until they can melt into the melting pot. They may continue to be illegals and stand in line at the pickup point each morning for the money some are willing to pay for their labors.

Then again they may not. People not speaking English in "any form" don't bother me.

You left out an "l" in will in that.

No offense intended.

jj216":2quf4the said:
I've got enough schooling to know this.If your 1/4 Oakie,then the other 3/4 has to be ______.

If you're 1/4 Oakie, chances are at least some of your Oakie ancestors go back to Kentucky or Tennessee :D

Mr. Go and Mr. Went had a date to see a ball game, so, Go knew Went wanted to go, but it depended upon when Went went so Go went to Went to get Went to go but Went told Go to go so Go went. After Go went, Went went after Go to tell Go to go not knowing Go went to phone Went not to go when Went went to tell Go to go, and when Go went to let Went know Go wanted Went not to go is not known and that's why Go went without Went and Went went without Go.

Now you kids play nice!
SL

Ya' know....using the word sell instead of sale has always rankled me. Maybe it's 'cause my mother was an English professor. That said, my mother also was very vehement on one thing..."Some things are better left unsaid."

And now, 'nuff said...

Alice

dcara":1jcp0yvo said:
Sorry but it really is not a "SOUTHERN THANG". Wink
I agree.

Personally, I can't WEIGHT to SAIL some cattle this fall.

Just out of curiosity - which comes first, the weighting or the sailing? Do cattle that are not weighted sail as well? What size wings do you need to sail a 500 lb steer? Do the wings needed for a heifer that size vary? How about an 800 lb steer? Thanks for the info! ;-)

ChrisB":3rkxectl said:
Some entertaining stuff here! But although I've never called anyone out on it, the "SALE" thing has always been a little pet peave of mine also. I know I don't exactly have the best English skills so I would usually just let it go. But I feel 3waycross is taking a little too much heat here.

Also: "The horse winned the race" is proper? Can anyone verify that? Or am I just being gullible? By the way did you know 'gullible' really isn't a proper word? It's not in the Webster's dictionary anyway.

"The horse winned the race" is not proper grammar. "The horse won the race" is proper grammar. "Winned" is not used to describe victory. Winned is a term used to describe drying out something (hay, wood, etc) by placing the item(s) in the sun or just letting the air dry it. The word winned comes from the word winnow.

I thought the horse that came in first winnied. The equivilent of giving the others the razberry

and I thought a horse winnied when it cried. Or does it nay when its hungry? I forget. :lol:

Mr. Go and Mr. Went had a date to see a ball game, so, Go knew Went wanted to go, but it depended upon when Went went so Go went to Went to get Went to go but Went told Go to go so Go went. After Go went, Went went after Go to tell Go to go not knowing Go went to phone Went not to go when Went went to tell Go to go, and when Go went to let Went know Go wanted Went not to go is not known and that's why Go went without Went and Went went without Go.

Now you kids play nice!
SL

I had never heard that one so I've copied it for future reference. How in the world could you remember that? I can only occasional remember the old Abbot and Costallo "Whos on First thing"

dcara wrote:
Quote:
Sorry but it really is not a "SOUTHERN THANG". Wink

I agree.

Personally, I can't WEIGHT to SAIL some cattle this fall.

Just out of curiosity - which comes first, the weighting or the sailing? Do cattle that are not weighted sail as well? What size wings do you need to sail a 500 lb steer? Do the wings needed for a heifer that size vary? How about an 800 lb steer? Thanks for the info! Wink

20 or so years ago I was afflected with the sailing habit almost as bad as I have been the past 8 or so with the cattle habit. I sometimes entertain myself thinking of ways to combine the two. Some thoughts I've had include
1) The weight of one or more cattle on one side of the boat while beating to weather (i.e sailing into the wind) would help reduce boat heal/leaning which would give more speed. There were races I am sure I could have won with this technique. The problem here is that I've discussed it with the cattle and they just don't seem that interested.
2) Breaking into the animal fasion world by making some cute little hats with small sails on them for the cattle wear. Problem: I'd probably have to spend a lot of money reinforcing the runways for the cattle to to walk up and down when modeling their ensembles.

On another note, I think the term "Sale Cattle" could actually be considered grammaticaly correct if used to describe a catagory of cattle such as "The cattle in the pen are my sale (barn) cattle."

dcara":32tfsejw said:
2) Breaking into the animal fasion world by making some cute little hats with small sails on them for the cattle wear.

You could alwasy just dress the bull calves in little sailor suits.

You could alwasy just dress the bull calves in little sailor suits.
Yes. I've always told my city friends that half the fun of living in the country was having farm animals to dress up on special occasions.

MistyMorning":1epqkoez said:
3waycross":1epqkoez said:
mnmtranching":1epqkoez said:
Hink, sorry to hear you have to SALE your herd.

I think the best thing would be to SALE them at an auction as a
complete herd SELL.

The competitive bid is a good way to SALE cattle. And your check is guaranteed.

I'm not making fun, I think SALE cattle is just fine. 8)

YA sure, You Betcha!!!!!!!!!!

Not making fun just having some.

I guess now I can't go to Mn. either withou getting my a$$ kicked.

You certainly got that one right!

No offense intended :shock:

I'm thinking, maybe ole 3 way was hit by them Nuns, up side the head, just a bit to hard a couple times :???:

Latest posts