Engine Oil level High

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I Check fluids every day especially Hyd fluid because everything I got leaks some. Sunday morning I am gonna do some pasture mowing so I check everything hook to mower and mow for a couple 3 hrs. park tractor that afternoon and figure ill finish Monday. I check the oil and its at the top of dipstick and hyd fluid is low again and no puddle anywhere , the only leaks I have on this tractor is on lift arm seals which I will replace in very near future. anyway I smell the motor oil rub it between my fingers its thinner than normal but not what I would expect if the injector pump seal is bad and leaking fuel in the crank case and it has no diesel smell at all. I figure its got to be hydraulic fluid. I drain about 2 qts off and get it to the half way point on the dip stick and run the tractor a little bit then shut it down and let it set for a while for everything to settle. the level did come up a little bit and from my research It seems the these Cummins engines have a pump mounted on the engine and on TBN I found a thread that said these seal can go bad and dump hyd fluid in the crank case. Anyone else ever have similar symptoms.

yes, the rotary injector pump (VE pump) cummins engines do have a seal that can go bad there, much like the CAV/Delphi rotary pumps.. gasket kits are cheap for them too.

Does it have a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine? could be that has a leaking seal as well

what tractor is this?

It's not just Cummins. Ford 3000 series, were bad about it too.
Geartrain driven hydraulic pumps (and power steering pumps) have always had a knack for leaking hyd fluid into the engine lube oil.

M-5 are you sure this is a cummins? I have a t5050 which shows to be the same engine on tractor data but I never thought it was a cummins.

That's very interesting. Please keep us posted on what they say. If that old girl of mine has a cummins designed engine in it I may have to look at it harder when it gets high hours.

I had a cummins that used to fill itself with power steering fluid and then the steering would quit going down the road. Well not even quit. it would work half the time, so you'd crank the wheel and get nothing and give it some more then it would jump in that direction.

That was a fun one.

Supa Dexta":1br5zdv7 said:
I had a cummins that used to fill itself with power steering fluid and then the steering would quit going down the road. Well not even quit. it would work half the time, so you'd crank the wheel and get nothing and give it some more then it would jump in that direction.

That was a fun one.

You mean they're not supposed to do that :bang:

Latest posts