Electronic Collar for dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Has anybody used an electronic collar to train a dog? i got one today, its a sportdog fieldtrainer 400. need it to break a dog from chasing calves.

Beefy":25qnjbbo said:
Has anybody used an electronic collar to train a dog? i got one today, its a sportdog fieldtrainer 400. need it to break a dog from chasing calves.

Have used them to train bird dogs. I am always prone to err on the side of less is better, unless it's a real bad habit or a potentially dangerous problem.

It always depends on the individual dog how much current they need. I have a Lab bytch that got 2 very light treatments when she was about a year and never needed it again. I also had a GSP bytch the needed to be tickled pretty hard every morning or she would disapear over the horizon, but one hard shot right out of the box and all she needed was soft voice commands for the rest of the day.

If you have a dog that is chasing cattle I would put him in that situation and when he displayed inappropriate behaviour light him up like the surface of the Sun while telling him NO at the same time. Shouldn't take too many sessions like that to modify his behaviour, if it does he needs a shot of something else more permanent.

I have known a lot of people that have used them successfully. However, my Daughters English Setter is either the dumbest or smartest dog. She has a nasty habit of running off and will not come back till she is good and ready. They got a shock collar, didn't work. Decided the collar must be defective so replaced it. Still didn't work. What she has learned is that if she runs really really fast she can out run the shock! The current seemed to shift her into a higher gear with each hit. They are forced to tie her when she is out.

Some times they work, some times they don't.

I am not a fan of them because alot of dogs have been ruined with them and alot of dogs are shock collar dependent. You are alot better off teaching the dog a "no" or "get out" command, in my opinion.

The dog needs to know the command before you can enforce it... and you need to enforce the commands with the dog on a leash/rope first, so he learns the correct way to respond to the shock. It's a good idea to make the dog wear the collar 24/7 for a week or two first, so he doesn't associate the shock with the collar. Nothing more frustrating than a collar-wise dog.

If you run a search for Mike Lardy or Evan Graham and ecollar conditioning, or Tri-Tronics, you should get some really good articles. They're two really good pro trainers in the field trial circuit and really know their stuff.

It seems like every dog I've gotten and trained, have gone through a period of time where I have gotten so exhasperated, that I have threatened to get rid of them. it seems like I can't ever get them trained the way I want them, untill we have been both made miserable.

My blue heeler was the hardest headed. I bought a shock coller for her. (the first one I've ever bought) The cost of the unit was about $50 dollars a day. (ya, it only lasted for a weekend, then the dog decided to take it deep pond diving. :devil2: Well that was a short lived toy.

I just stick with the positive/negative reinforcement program I currently employ. one thing I think helps the most is the fact that I don't have a life, and I never go anywhere, so I'm around the dogs all the time. They don't get away with much.

I'd use a shock coller for life threatning behavors-car chaseing comes to mind-like everything else how you use it affects the outcome..

peg4x4":3956izwd said:
I'd use a shock coller for life threatning behavors-car chaseing comes to mind-like everything else how you use it affects the outcome..

What has not been mentioned here is what kind of dog it was and how it came to be chasing calves.
Cuz as far as I'm soncerned if it's not a cow dog, then chasing calves is life threatening behaviour.

When I was a kid I saw a big GSP male chase his last calf. It disapeared over a hill and when we came over the top it was hamstringing a 1 month old calf. The owner an attorney friend of my Dad's shot him on the spot and then went to the house and wrote the landowner a check.

it IS lifethreatening.

This dog is the one my dad brought home that he found on the back 40 in a ditch collapsed, starved to death. he literally could not walk or stand. he brought him home to me and we fed him and now hes about 100 lb Black Lab x Rottweiler (i think). Hes extremely energetic and will chase anything that moves.

The first incident, i was way back in the pasture feeding a new calf a bottle of colostrum and my mother had let him out for a run. well he came found me and while i was feeding the calf he came up and grabbed the calf by her back end and started shaking it before i even knew he was there. i was cussing at him and yelling and beating him and kicking and i nearly got stampeded by 500 cows b/c of him. the cow herd is what got him to let go.

later on a couple of weeks later i had this same calf and its dam in the pen b/c she wasnt taking her calf and there was another pair that the cow wasnt taking that calf either (she just decided she wanted someone elses calf instead) and the dog got in the pen and chased THE SAME calf he got the first time round and round and got it down and shook it again before i was able to beat him off.

he's like a BIG puppy but he minds fairly well except when something runs from him he completely tunes me out. he just never has had any discipline, apparently.

now when i let him out he just runs around the yard harassing the other dogs that are in the fenced back yard and he never has gone off without me before, unless he is coming to find me. ive been putting the electronic collar on him a few days (he would totally hang himself if i left it on him allday--HYPER!) but i havent zapped him yet. yesterday, when i let him out he did his normal thing and then all of the sudden hauled butt out across the road (hes never even gone out to the road before) and went tearing down the road. now i just put some cows across the road and there are some smallish calves over there so i went after him on the fourwheeler assuming he was going to get in there and chase those calves. Luckily he went past the gate but he was on somethings trail. ..probably mine b/c i had just been over there checkin the cows and the hog trap but its not like he didnt know where i was bakc in the yard, i was in plain sight. so hes running around spazzing out about 300 yards away across the hay field and all of the sudden this big doe comes tearing out across the field chasing him. she chases him and gets fairly close and he never notices and i figure hes going to find her baby and rip it up so i take out after him. when the doe hears me on the 4wheeler she runs back to the woods. so i finally get the dogs attention and he comes running after me and when we get to opposite side of the field (about 300 yards away) the doe comes busting back out of the woods chasing me chasing the dog! you can imagine was running thru my mind, lol. so then the doe passes me and right on the dogs tail, only about 30-40 feet behind him when he notices he is being chased by a deer. so he turns around and chases the doe and the doe jumps the fence and gets in with the cows. so then the dog is trying to get in the cow pasture. OH, i forgot to mention that when i saw him go across the road i ran in and got the shocker control for the collar to try it out. so the dog is trying to get in with the cows and i'm testing out all the shocker buttons but none of them work. come to find out i didnt even have it turned on!

today he will be in for a surprise if he tries to go out to the road or chases any calves.

PUT HIM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, before he cost you a lot of money or gets you hurt real bad. He is not worth the grief.

End of problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't think I was being glib. Based on how you described him, he has the potential to be a much greater to threat than you might realize. Please just be very careful who and what he is exposed to.

Beefy... if that were one of my dogs it wouldn't be appropriate to write on the forum what I'd do when I got my hands on him after he'd been running cows.

Best I can suggest is that you 1) have him neutered if he's not already, 2) have him drag a 30' rope because after you tan his hide once you may not be able to get ahold of him next time he's after a calf, 3) work on getting him to respect you -- he evidently doesn't, and 4) carry a gun with you incase you need it -- what if he starts running a hundred head of pairs through a fence? there's a time for training and then there's a time to call it quits when he could potentially cause a lot of vet bills and the whole herd out on the road. If he can tune you out when he's running cattle, then he may well ignore the ecollar when he's running cattle.

thanks, i will be. i feel that this dog is young enough and shows enough willingness to please that i can break him of this bad habit. if not i will do whats necessary. it was apparent when he first got here that he'd never been exposed to any type of livestock before and he really shows the mentality of a hyperactive pup. he must have been chained up and starved by someone and dumped. aside from chasing animals, he is a good-natured dog that i feel deserves a chance. i will work with him and see what i can do. i realize the severity of the issue. his hyperactivity alone is enough for me to keep him away from small children and elderly people at this point, but if i can break him of chasing calves, he can go to work with me and spend up all that extra energy and we will both be happier about the situation.

Get a switch, rope, hot shot or some thing and ware his butt out next time he does it. Tell him "get out" as you are doing it. Then throw him in a pen for about a week. No interaction at all, and go light on the feed.

Then take him out around the cattle again on a long lead (rope) and yell "get out" if he just looks at the cattle. If he starts pulling and trying to go at them... reel him in and swat him on the rear with the rope telling him "get out" the whole time. Throw him back in the pen.

Just keep repeating it until the dog turns his head when he walks by cattle. When you yell "get out" that dog should stop in its tracks. Never call the dog to you to disipline it, never hit the dog with your hand, or hit them in the face.

Beefy":3tauiunc said:
thanks, i will be. i feel that this dog is young enough and shows enough willingness to please that i can break him of this bad habit. if not i will do whats necessary. it was apparent when he first got here that he'd never been exposed to any type of livestock before and he really shows the mentality of a hyperactive pup. he must have been chained up and starved by someone and dumped. aside from chasing animals, he is a good-natured dog that i feel deserves a chance. i will work with him and see what i can do. i realize the severity of the issue. his hyperactivity alone is enough for me to keep him away from small children and elderly people at this point, but if i can break him of chasing calves, he can go to work with me and spend up all that extra energy and we will both be happier about the situation.

Excellent advice....my dogs know they better be moving when I yell "out".

You could always find yourself a really mean bull and but him in with it so when he decides to chase the bull punishes him so you don't look like the bad guy. Or a really protective cow would probably work just as well. I'd have a gun and a good aim, just in case it doesn't work out.

thats what i had hoped the horses would do but they never did make contact...

the electronic collar is working WONDERFULLY.

Latest posts