Electrolytes on a Regular Basis?

Help Support CattleToday:

carter_mitchell

Reaction score
It is hot here, already 100 degrees most days. Most of what I'm seeing people using electrolytes is in regards to calves. Does anyone use it on a regular basis on their mature animals? Im not finding a ton of options to buy that are for mature animals. If you are using it regularly, are you buying a cattle specific product or using Gatorade/ Pedialyte in the water?

I do not ever supplement with electrolytes. Some days we get over 100+ degrees Fahrenheit. My cattle do just fine but we have lots of shady options and they are smart and know the good spots to stay cool. But I also don't have really young calves in the summer since I calve in the fall. Since electrolytes are salt, I would think that a good loose mineral would be sufficient? I could be wrong on that however.

It shouldn't be necessary to supplement cows in the water as long as they've got access to free choice salt. Some times it does make sense to treat them if you're dealing with something like a long truck haul in hot weather. Bovine Bluelite would be my recommendation. Products like Pedialyte and Gatorade are not formulated for ruminants.

Latest posts