Eleanor (Profitability from Jersey cows)

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok fuzzy mutts, I will take the bait. I must say your animals are in good shape, you must take good care of them and enjoy them and what you do. Calves look really good. By the way I know what a turkey is and what a duck is, thank you very much.

I was kinda hoping Debbie had some kind of insightful advice. Especially the way she seemed to have an idea about what was too much pressure. @debbiea You did NOT hurt my feelings gal. I can assure you of that. I only got 1 feeling left and I'm not sure I can access it, it's buried so deep down... lol

I agree 4 calves is a lot of animal for 1 cow to raise. But what's the difference between the calves taking the milk versus a machine taking it twice a day??
Murray I wouldn't worry about having 4 calves on her. I used to have 2 different 3 tit Jersey's that could feed 3 Calves No Problem and they stayed in good shape! The one cow started stealing other calves, so she had 4to5 on her and they All grew Really well, I just had to feed her Extra grain

Murray I wouldn't worry about having 4 calves on her. I used to have 2 different 3 tit Jersey's that could feed 3 Calves No Problem and they stayed in good shape! The one cow started stealing other calves, so she had 4to5 on her and they All grew Really well, I just had to feed her Extra grain
I'm definitely watching em. It pleases me to see them sharing mamas.

I just want to make sure I get enough feed in Eleanor to get her bred and in better condition. The other animals all looked similar in condition where I got her from and they bred ok to a.i.

I know jerseys are skinny anyway. But I like to see em covered a bit more. Ribs are my biggest indicator. I hate seeing/counting ribs.

Bessie and Big Sexy needed a bit of feed anyway. Bessie has been in milk quite a while. Calved in February this year. And still raising a single steer. Plus now she's my big helper again! Bless her heart.
Bull goes to other place next month. So a month of feed will help him a bit as well..

I probly spend more than I should or most people would on feed. But they are worth it!

@MurraysMutts I would really love to know how you decide on a nurse cow. Looks like you sure know how to pick good ones. Any advice? Please let me know if this thread isn't the appropriate place to ask. :)
Well, honestly there wasn't much picking to be decided. I'm sure you've read Bessies story. I just got extremely lucky with her!

Brandy was a real gem til she got down and we couldn't seem to fix her. I got her prom the same place Eleanor came from. And we knew there may not be something quite right with her before I bought her. I gave more than I wanted but she was cheap really. And she raised 3 before she had to go.

The 26 cent jersey was sale barn bought and she didn't make it thru summer. That was a real bummer for me.

Eleanor looked to be in great shape. I trust the guy I got her from. And he just flat told me, he couldn't get her a.i'd. And she needed to be bull bred. Only reason she was available. Good in all 4 quarters. Easy to get along with. I was a bit worried when she started her kicking at the calves after I got her home. But 2 of the calves had nothing but water for about 36 hrs. And a bowl of feed they didn't touch. They were very hungry. When I let em out the trailer Eleanor was being fed and they both went straight to a teat! Any teat. They didn't care as long as it was a teat!! They dodged kicks pretty good for a while there. Took a few days but she settled down and now she loves em.

So it's been 50/50 on choosing them. I've pretty much just gotten what's available!
Well, to a point. I have passed on some that were on Craigslist. Old worn out cows. Cows with 3 teats. None of em bred etc.

Well, honestly there wasn't much picking to be decided. I'm sure you've read Bessies story. I just got extremely lucky with her!

Brandy was a real gem til she got down and we couldn't seem to fix her. I got her prom the same place Eleanor came from. And we knew there may not be something quite right with her before I bought her. I gave more than I wanted but she was cheap really. And she raised 3 before she had to go.

The 26 cent jersey was sale barn bought and she didn't make it thru summer. That was a real bummer for me.

Eleanor looked to be in great shape. I trust the guy I got her from. And he just flat told me, he couldn't get her a.i'd. And she needed to be bull bred. Only reason she was available. Good in all 4 quarters. Easy to get along with. I was a bit worried when she started her kicking at the calves after I got her home. But 2 of the calves had nothing but water for about 36 hrs. And a bowl of feed they didn't touch. They were very hungry. When I let em out the trailer Eleanor was being fed and they both went straight to a teat! Any teat. They didn't care as long as it was a teat!! They dodged kicks pretty good for a while there. Took a few days but she settled down and now she loves em.

So it's been 50/50 on choosing them. I've pretty much just gotten what's available!
Well, to a point. I have passed on some that were on Craigslist. Old worn out cows. Cows with 3 teats. None of em bred etc.
Thank you! Appreciate the info. I have been following your thread. Have wanted to have a nurse cow for many years but other than the sale barn and craigslist I haven't had luck to date. The sale barn that sells mainly dairy cattle I won't go to anymore. Around our area craigslist is ridiculously expensive for "prized dairy cows" I wouldn't spend money on. Like the Hereford cross being sold as a holstein with a horrific udder. I am sure someone will fall for it but it's been listed for a while. Otherwise they are listed for $2,000-$5,000. Really want to do a calf share in the long run. Congrats on Eleanor. Really hope it continues to work out long term. Thanks again!

Thank you! Appreciate the info. I have been following your thread. Have wanted to have a nurse cow for many years but other than the sale barn and craigslist I haven't had luck to date. The sale barn that sells mainly dairy cattle I won't go to anymore. Around our area craigslist is ridiculously expensive for "prized dairy cows" I wouldn't spend money on. Like the Hereford cross being sold as a holstein with a horrific udder. I am sure someone will fall for it but it's been listed for a while. Otherwise they are listed for $2,000-$5,000. Really want to do a calf share in the long run. Congrats on Eleanor. Really hope it continues to work out long term. Thanks again!
Your welcome!
I've certainly passed on a great deal of them on Craigslist.
And sale barns are very few and far between around here on GOOD milk cows. Most are all worn out.

U might check jersey directory for your state. Often times there is a place close enough that may make it worth the trip!
Most small jersey dairies are listed and have phone numbers.

I do not know if there is a website for holstien or other breeds as I wasn't really interested in that type animal. I like the jersey for their smaller size and feed efficiency. However a holstein can raise a BUNCH of calves if ya can afford to feed her!

I like what Murray suggested...

You might also visit a dairy and introduce yourself. They probably get rid of animals that are not worn out, but for other reasons like that jersey Murray got that wouldn't breed AI. A phone call to you nets them as much money as a trip to the sale barn and they don't have to truck the cull if you'll come get it.

You could also use some sexed semen on a first calf heifer to get a jersey cross or two, to raise to be nurse cows.

Your welcome!
I've certainly passed on a great deal of them on Craigslist.
And sale barns are very few and far between around here on GOOD milk cows. Most are all worn out.

U might check jersey directory for your state. Often times there is a place close enough that may make it worth the trip!
Most small jersey dairies are listed and have phone numbers.

I do not know if there is a website for holstien or other breeds as I wasn't really interested in that type animal. I like the jersey for their smaller size and feed efficiency. However a holstein can raise a BUNCH of calves if ya can afford to feed her!
Thanks! I'll do that! No holsteins for us. That I can find "easier". My fear is all the horror stories of jerseys going down and getting sick easy. I am used to beef animals. Still want to give it a go. Especially if we can share and have a milk source for our household. We don't use much so it would be mostly for calves. Thanks again! Please keep us posted on your adventures!

I like what Murray suggested...

You might also visit a dairy and introduce yourself. They probably get rid of animals that are not worn out, but for other reasons like that jersey Murray got that wouldn't breed AI. A phone call to you nets them as much money as a trip to the sale barn and they don't have to truck the cull if you'll come get it.

You could also use some sexed semen on a first calf heifer to get a jersey cross or two, to raise to be nurse cows.
I have visited many dairies around over the years. I don't know if it's a worry of liability or what but they won't let cows go just calves occasionally. We don't have many dairies around anymore sadly and most are holstein dairies. I may go again to a few and put the word out. Good idea. We don't have bulls here so that could be an issue if they won't AI breed. You never know though. Good idea.
I was just mentioning that to my better half the other day that I have 2 straws of sexed heifer jersey semen from years back. I may throw on in one of our Angus. Thanks for the advice!

I have visited many dairies around over the years. I don't know if it's a worry of liability or what but they won't let cows go just calves occasionally. We don't have many dairies around anymore sadly and most are holstein dairies. I may go again to a few and put the word out. Good idea. We don't have bulls here so that could be an issue if they won't AI breed. You never know though. Good idea.
I was just mentioning that to my better half the other day that I have 2 straws of sexed heifer jersey semen from years back. I may throw on in one of our Angus. Thanks for the advice!
You might also consider brown swiss or a dairy type shorthorn, both to buy or to breed up. If you're breeding to make a nurse cow the most important criteria is probably docility. I'd be sure to choose semen from a docile bull and choose the most docile heifer to breed to.

Where are you located Double R Ranch? I might know where you can get a 1/2 Braunvieh/1/2 Brown Swiss cow that will be AI ed this weekend, but might could hold off on her and you could AI her with that Jeresy semen.

One other thing about a cow coming from a dairy. Even a small dairy.
Them cows have a routine! Fed about same time every day. Milked about same time every day. Etc...

And most are easy going cows. Troublemakers get the boot! Usually...

Makes it fairly easy to put calves on if you work with the cows routine. She's used to getting fed and milked.
Feed her and release the calves! 😆

@Double R Ranch I like the sexed jersey semen idea. It just takes time to raise one up. That's what I've been doing with Opal, and she was a weanling when I got her. But an Ajax cow (half jersey/half angus) MIGHT be ideal for you. She can raise 1, maybe 2 calves and still provide milk for you.

O yeah. As far as jerseys getting sick/down, being fragile. I had the same concerns my friends. Bessie really spoiled me being not Full Jersey. She sooooo easy to use. No issues with her whatsoever. Easy to dry off. Just pull the calves and stop feeding grain.
Time will tell on Eleanor. After Brandy, I'm a bit worried. But she was bought that way. So anyway..

I'll ramble on somewhere else for a while now. Nice to see interest!

Last edited:
You might also consider brown swiss or a dairy type shorthorn, both to buy or to breed up. If you're breeding to make a nurse cow the most important criteria is probably docility. I'd be sure to choose semen from a docile bull and choose the most docile heifer to breed to.
Thank you. I found a milking shorthorn but the price was way out of realistic number for us. It was a old school line that apparently made it very valuable. I have zero interest in being back into the registered game. A milking shorthorn would have been great since we have been breeds and don't need the quantity of milk a holstein gives etc. Plus around here (in the dreaded west coast) calves are still ridiculously expensive to buy. Docility it very important to us in our regular herd and a possible milking cow. Good point to remember. Thanks again!

Where are you located Double R Ranch? I might know where you can get a 1/2 Braunvieh/1/2 Brown Swiss cow that will be AI ed this weekend, but might could hold off on her and you could AI her with that Jeresy semen.
I'm on the west coast for now. That is a very nice thought. Thank you! We aren't free yet ;) I was just out your way scouting though. Pretty areas out there.:)

One other thing about a cow coming from a dairy. Even a small dairy.
Them cows have a routine! Fed about same time every day. Milked about same time every day. Etc...

And most are easy going cows. Troublemakers get the boot! Usually...

Makes it fairly easy to put calves on if you work with the cows routine. She's used to getting fed and milked.
Feed her and release the calves! 😆

@Double R Ranch I like the sexed jersey semen idea. It just takes time to raise one up. That's what I've been doing with Opal, and she was a weanling when I got her. But an Ajax cow (half jersey/half angus) MIGHT be ideal for you. She can raise 1, maybe 2 calves and still provide milk for you.

O yeah. As far as jerseys getting sick/down, being fragile. I had the same concerns my friends. Bessie really spoiled me being not Full Jersey. She sooooo easy to use. No issues with her whatsoever. Easy to dry off. Just pull the calves and stop feeding grain.
Time will tell on Eleanor. After Brandy, I'm a bit worried. But she was bought that way. So anyway..

I'll ramble on somewhere else for a while now. Nice to see interest!
That is a good thing to keep in mind when we get one. Release the calves has me rolling for some reason. The visual! :ROFLMAO:
The time to raise it up is why I haven't really considered it till recently on the jersey semen. Had I done it when I had the extra semen I'd already have a milking cross in production. 🤷‍♀️That is exactly what I think we are looking for. A calf or two and enough for our small usage.
That's very good to know on Bessie. Definitely keep us posted on Eleanor. Love following your adventures.
Haha! Others may not want it but I say ramble away! I know I am always learning. That's for sure. It's nice to read others doing what I have wanted to do for a long time.

We will put our bulls in with the fall calving cows by the first of Dec... many of ours are late this fall due to not getting things squared away the previous year... got a bunch of babies on the ground now that will get worked and moved to winter pasture here soon.... with the bull... want to try to back them up a bit if possible...

Latest posts