Eleanor (Profitability from Jersey cows)

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Noooo. Not THAT Eleanor!
eleanor_3.jpg
This one!
20221028_183035.jpg20221028_183548.jpg20221028_184617.jpg
Bessie approved!

Ok. So I said I was gonna do it. Here we go-go!

Cow - $1300

140lb Steer - $120
80lb Heifer - $50
90lb Heifer - $50

Veterinary - $45 (band bull and vax all)
Transportation - $50 (gotta pay for fuel)

So the Young Jersey cow and Calves, I've got $1615.00 in....
Kind of, but not exactly. U see, I actually bought 3 other calves when I bought these. I had $260 in them. And they went to a friend for $300. Gotta pay that transport fee etc...
So I actually have
$1575 in this whole mess!

Eleanor has her whole life ahead of her. The place I got her from is total a.i. and the tech can't seem to get thru the cervix. She's a young cow. Calved with first calf in March. Ideally, I'd have liked a fresh cow, as I can run two sets of calves thru the lactation. But availability of good jerseys is the key, and gotta get em while ya can.

These are good quality calves. Market is down, so they definitely bought right. And the 140lb steer may get traded out for another along the way, increasing profits, if there is any on this first set.

Once these calves are bonded, I'll put Big Sexy with her for about a month before he goes to second herd.

So there it is guys and gals!
I hope it turns out well!

That's awfully expensive for a cull cow. Hopefully she pays for herself.
Agree!
But...
I was looking at $600 (roughly) in milk replacer to raise these calves. Plus time and effort. And I won't have to fight the weather to feed em!

We are gonna run pretty hard here. I expect her to raise me 5 calves before I dry her up. SHOULD be able to come out in the black. And I'll have a nice cow for next season as well.

Noooo. Not THAT Eleanor!
View attachment 22567
This one!
View attachment 22568View attachment 22569View attachment 22570
Bessie approved!

Ok. So I said I was gonna do it. Here we go-go!

Cow - $1300

140lb Steer - $120
80lb Heifer - $50
90lb Heifer - $50

Veterinary - $45 (band bull and vax all)
Transportation - $50 (gotta pay for fuel)

So the Young Jersey cow and Calves, I've got $1615.00 in....
Kind of, but not exactly. U see, I actually bought 3 other calves when I bought these. I had $260 in them. And they went to a friend for $300. Gotta pay that transport fee etc...
So I actually have
$1575 in this whole mess!

Eleanor has her whole life ahead of her. The place I got her from is total a.i. and the tech can't seem to get thru the cervix. She's a young cow. Calved with first calf in March. Ideally, I'd have liked a fresh cow, as I can run two sets of calves thru the lactation. But availability of good jerseys is the key, and gotta get em while ya can.

These are good quality calves. Market is down, so they definitely bought right. And the 140lb steer may get traded out for another along the way, increasing profits, if there is any on this first set.

Once these calves are bonded, I'll put Big Sexy with her for about a month before he goes to second herd.

So there it is guys and gals!
I hope it turns out well!
If she breeds back with a bull you're golden... but I'd still rather have the other Eleanor.

If she breeds back with a bull you're golden... but I'd still rather have the other Eleanor.
Right!
I'm not sure how this worked out, but she was bred natural service for her first calf.
Mutt, remember you have to feed her like a dairy cow to get her to produce milk.
I knew I would forget something!
I plan on keeping track of feed costs as we go. On that topic.....
I hear everyone talk about feeding a dairy cow. But what "exactly" do they feed, feed wise?
She will be getting the best hay I have. Which isn't what i consider dairy quality but it's what I got.
I plan on feeding a mix of honey grain, 14% creep and maybe some corn.

O yeah! She weighs 1080lbs

Go to your local ranch supply and read the bags of dairy ration. I use it for feeding out animals before they go in the freezer. Works very well with hay for roughage.
Think I'll do that. Co-op ain't got what they call a dairy ration. Least I'll be able to get some kind of idea what is in a dairy ration.
I'm not opposed to feeding her a bit differently.

If she's got 4 good quarters I think you did well ! If she breeds back and has a calf and then you put extra calves on her I can't see you losing . I think unless the economy goes completely under the cattle market is going to be good for the next few years . This thing is a roller coaster and it's got to be headed up !

And yes. I have 4 calves in with her right now.
The reason is fairly simple. She's been machine milked twice a day. I just want to be sure she's emptied twice a day like she's used to. As small an adjustment to routine at a time. Don't want any udder issues.

They are sure gettin' with it!

You need a good 16% feed. She'll need a pound per gallon of milk, that's the standard anyway. If you can only find a 15%, then throw in a handful of soybean meal.

I buy bulk pellets, my jerseys cost me about $14 each per week in grain. They also get free choice leafy brome and a couple flakes each of red clover hay.

Make darn sure you only have her dry for 2 months. To long is actually harmful to the longevity of a jersey or Holstein.

You need a good 16% feed. She'll need a pound per gallon of milk, that's the standard anyway. If you can only find a 15%, then throw in a handful of soybean meal.

I buy bulk pellets, my jerseys cost me about $14 each per week in grain. They also get free choice leafy brome and a couple flakes each of red clover hay.

Make darn sure you only have her dry for 2 months. To long is actually harmful to the longevity of a jersey or Holstein.
Thanks so much!
She's awful thin on the back end, 4 calves may be to much for her.
I agree. She looks better in some pics than others. I know she was fed well. Her manure was very rich green. Almost like she's been eating alfalfa.
Now that she's not milking for human consumption perhaps I should worm her and feed her well.

I do have a plan for the 4th calf in a bit.

Thanks again!

A jersey off a dairy is going to go through some serious gut bacteria changes and she will fall off in milk without the silage or total mixed ration (TMR) that she was getting. Also, the stage of lactation will cause her to drop off and probably will not come back as well. I am not trying to be negative.... Been there. Done that many times.
16% is minimum... I used to get 28% dairy concentrate pellets and mix in a little bit, with the 16% ration, to boost the protein to 18% in early lactation, so my heavier milking jerseys would keep condition and breed back. I also fed 20-25 lbs m/l grain to my fresh and heavy milking jerseys a day... 10-12 lbs a feeding to get them to come into milk and keep it flowing. Remember a gal weighs 8+ lbs... and a calf needs at least 1/2 gal per feeding.. so you are going to have to feed at least for 2 to 2 1/2 gallons a feeding.... so 15 lbs grain a feeding if you want her to try to keep up enough milk production. It is going to get expensive....
I am not sure where @Hoover over came up with the 1lb per gallon.... most of the dairies that feed silage here are feeding 75-90 lbs of TMR per cow per day for a 75 lb average... with decent hay that means that you have to up the grain, to compensate for the difference in silage... it is usually only 8-10% protein for corn silage... but the supplements will get the protein up and it is more balanced. You have to feed more and better this time of year with no grass to supplement; and you are going to have to realize that she is going to fall off in milk as soon as she gets bred since she is already 6 months into her lactation. The cervix may not be her only problem... she is a little thin and may not even cycle right off after getting a complete diet change... and it might be the trigger to get her to cycle and conceive too....

My jer/hol cross has 3 calves on her this time. I am not
going to rotate calves off her this lactation. They weigh in the 300+ lb range now... hers born May 10th, and the 2 blk bull calves put on her 2 days later....all 3 are dairy/beef crosses....5 months old.... . they are eating grain good and grazing and have her full time... and she has been getting a 5 gallon bucket a day (split in 2 feedings)( weighs around 22-25 lbs per bucket), since she was fresh up until about 2-3 weeks ago. I have cut her back to about 3 gal a day now and the calves are eating out of the bunk... there are 7-9 coming into the bunk daily and get 4 gallons of grain once a day... not everyone always comes in and one on a 1/2 dairy/beef cross cow, is actually getting too big to come through the creep gate now... born in April...
So, 1 lb grain per gallon of milk is low in my estimation... it might work well for @Hoover but in no way would my jer/hol keep up her body weight and produce the milk these calves need on 3-4 lbs grain a milking. They get no hay in the summer here, just plenty of good grass pasture and the other cows are not getting any grain except a lb or so once or twice a week to keep them coming in the pen....all the others are very fleshy from the grass as the pasture was understocked all summer. She is in very good condition. She is also bred back (I am pretty sure)... have not checked her but no heats... bull would have gotten her bred back by 45-60 days as he went out of there about 8-9 weeks after her calving. There are 4 in there he should have caught before being moved out. They will get preg checked soon and I have no reason to think any are open.
How much are you feeding Bessie? I think that it is more than 1 lb per gallon of milk with the number of calves you have had on her. And she did not breed right back right?
I would not trade my dairy cross nurse cows for love or money... but the way I figure it, they need to wean off 12-1400 lbs of calves...I usually figure 3 to sell pays for all her expenses, upkeep, breeding etc., 1 to keep OR 1 for profit. That is if I only let her raise up 4... I used to do 3 plus 2 more for the second go round... But I also did not put them on and pull them off like you do with Bessie... mine got calves for 4+ months, then started 2 more on her, then weaned off the bigger ones after the smaller ones had 2-4 weeks on her so that they could handle the milk. I figured it cost $3/day in grain May to Oct.... no hay, except sometimes I would feed a single flake of alfalfa in the barn and cut the grain a pound or 2 if I had the alfalfa... then it costs about $5/day for when she is getting good hay until the 2nd bunch are weaned and she is dried off. $8-900 a year for her to produce 3-4 calves. Here a beef cow cost us about $600 just in feed and associated costs... this year the costs will go to $650 or 700. And, I find that 2-3 months dry off works better for me with the jerseys.... Normally I like them to calve in April so they go dry in January.... about the time we are getting groups of steers together to sell in Feb or March.
Grain costing more this year, will skew the figures I had... It is costing about $4 / day for grain for her now... but again, she is in real good shape and the calves all are chunky and fleshy. As soon as she gets preg checked, I will determine how long they will stay on her but at least until after the holidays....

There is a guy on here, that can tell you to the penny what it costs him to feed his beef cattle a year. He figures in everything, hay, supplements, vet costs, value of the pasture, value of ag taxes, depreciation of fences.... everything. He can back it up too.... and on average in 2020 it was about 1.46 a day or $535 per cow per year. So she had to produce a calf that weighed over 500 lbs x 1.50 lb to make $200 per cow per year. That is not much money for a year long deal... if you look at it that is only 20,000 for 100 calves/ profit.... NOT alot of money for a years worth of work....

So, don't discount ALL that goes into the costs... yep, you have the land, but you need to divide that value by the number of cattle and a nurse cow is one of the group... too often we don't figure in ALL the small costs and think we are making big bucks on them... but we are kidding ourselves if we don't take into account all the costs. If you want to write off all those costs to the beef cattle then that is fine... make sure that you assign a true value to them too.
I write off the whole cost of the nurse cow leased pasture where I keep the nurse cows, to the beef animals that are also kept there... but that makes their calves less "profitable" since they are subsidizing the nurse cows. And like this year, we are running heifers there now, so there will be no income from them. The 4 cows of mine and the 4 cows of my son's, calves will carry the whole cost of the pasture to feed the heifers for the next year until they are sold or retained and bred....
There is more that needs to be figured in than just the tangible out of pocket costs for the nurse cow expenses....

A jersey off a dairy is going to go through some serious gut bacteria changes and she will fall off in milk without the silage or total mixed ration (TMR) that she was getting. Also, the stage of lactation will cause her to drop off and probably will not come back as well. I am not trying to be negative.... Been there. Done that many times.
16% is minimum... I used to get 28% dairy concentrate pellets and mix in a little bit, with the 16% ration, to boost the protein to 18% in early lactation, so my heavier milking jerseys would keep condition and breed back. I also fed 20-25 lbs m/l grain to my fresh and heavy milking jerseys a day... 10-12 lbs a feeding to get them to come into milk and keep it flowing. Remember a gal weighs 8+ lbs... and a calf needs at least 1/2 gal per feeding.. so you are going to have to feed at least for 2 to 2 1/2 gallons a feeding.... so 15 lbs grain a feeding if you want her to try to keep up enough milk production. It is going to get expensive....
I am not sure where @Hoover over came up with the 1lb per gallon.... most of the dairies that feed silage here are feeding 75-90 lbs of TMR per cow per day for a 75 lb average... with decent hay that means that you have to up the grain, to compensate for the difference in silage... it is usually only 8-10% protein for corn silage... but the supplements will get the protein up and it is more balanced. You have to feed more and better this time of year with no grass to supplement; and you are going to have to realize that she is going to fall off in milk as soon as she gets bred since she is already 6 months into her lactation. The cervix may not be her only problem... she is a little thin and may not even cycle right off after getting a complete diet change... and it might be the trigger to get her to cycle and conceive too....

My jer/hol cross has 3 calves on her this time. I am not
going to rotate calves off her this lactation. They weigh in the 300+ lb range now... hers born May 10th, and the 2 blk bull calves put on her 2 days later....all 3 are dairy/beef crosses....5 months old.... . they are eating grain good and grazing and have her full time... and she has been getting a 5 gallon bucket a day (split in 2 feedings)( weighs around 22-25 lbs per bucket), since she was fresh up until about 2-3 weeks ago. I have cut her back to about 3 gal a day now and the calves are eating out of the bunk... there are 7-9 coming into the bunk daily and get 4 gallons of grain once a day... not everyone always comes in and one on a 1/2 dairy/beef cross cow, is actually getting too big to come through the creep gate now... born in April...
So, 1 lb grain per gallon of milk is low in my estimation... it might work well for @Hoover but in no way would my jer/hol keep up her body weight and produce the milk these calves need on 3-4 lbs grain a milking. They get no hay in the summer here, just plenty of good grass pasture and the other cows are not getting any grain except a lb or so once or twice a week to keep them coming in the pen....all the others are very fleshy from the grass as the pasture was understocked all summer. She is in very good condition. She is also bred back (I am pretty sure)... have not checked her but no heats... bull would have gotten her bred back by 45-60 days as he went out of there about 8-9 weeks after her calving. There are 4 in there he should have caught before being moved out. They will get preg checked soon and I have no reason to think any are open.
How much are you feeding Bessie? I think that it is more than 1 lb per gallon of milk with the number of calves you have had on her. And she did not breed right back right?
I would not trade my dairy cross nurse cows for love or money... but the way I figure it, they need to wean off 12-1400 lbs of calves...I usually figure 3 to sell pays for all her expenses, upkeep, breeding etc., 1 to keep OR 1 for profit. That is if I only let her raise up 4... I used to do 3 plus 2 more for the second go round... But I also did not put them on and pull them off like you do with Bessie... mine got calves for 4+ months, then started 2 more on her, then weaned off the bigger ones after the smaller ones had 2-4 weeks on her so that they could handle the milk. I figured it cost $3/day in grain May to Oct.... no hay, except sometimes I would feed a single flake of alfalfa in the barn and cut the grain a pound or 2 if I had the alfalfa... then it costs about $5/day for when she is getting good hay until the 2nd bunch are weaned and she is dried off. $8-900 a year for her to produce 3-4 calves. Here a beef cow cost us about $600 just in feed and associated costs... this year the costs will go to $650 or 700. And, I find that 2-3 months dry off works better for me with the jerseys.... Normally I like them to calve in April so they go dry in January.... about the time we are getting groups of steers together to sell in Feb or March.
Grain costing more this year, will skew the figures I had... It is costing about $4 / day for grain for her now... but again, she is in real good shape and the calves all are chunky and fleshy. As soon as she gets preg checked, I will determine how long they will stay on her but at least until after the holidays....

There is a guy on here, that can tell you to the penny what it costs him to feed his beef cattle a year. He figures in everything, hay, supplements, vet costs, value of the pasture, value of ag taxes, depreciation of fences.... everything. He can back it up too.... and on average in 2020 it was about 1.46 a day or $535 per cow per year. So she had to produce a calf that weighed over 500 lbs x 1.50 lb to make $200 per cow per year. That is not much money for a year long deal... if you look at it that is only 20,000 for 100 calves/ profit.... NOT alot of money for a years worth of work....

So, don't discount ALL that goes into the costs... yep, you have the land, but you need to divide that value by the number of cattle and a nurse cow is one of the group... too often we don't figure in ALL the small costs and think we are making big bucks on them... but we are kidding ourselves if we don't take into account all the costs. If you want to write off all those costs to the beef cattle then that is fine... make sure that you assign a true value to them too.
I write off the whole cost of the nurse cow leased pasture where I keep the nurse cows, to the beef animals that are also kept there... but that makes their calves less "profitable" since they are subsidizing the nurse cows. And like this year, we are running heifers there now, so there will be no income from them. The 4 cows of mine and the 4 cows of my son's, calves will carry the whole cost of the pasture to feed the heifers for the next year until they are sold or retained and bred....
There is more that needs to be figured in than just the tangible out of pocket costs for the nurse cow expenses....
Thank you first of all for the most excellent post!
Can't possibly address it all right now but I'll start with feed, as that's what is most important to me at the moment.

Bessie really has spoiled me. She raised 2 this time without a lot of feed. And is raising a 3rd now while out on hay and cubes with everyone else right now. I have not figured any costs with her. Just wasn't a priority I guess. Last year, she raised 3 to start and fed her pretty decent while they were bonding/attaching however ya wanna call it. Then grass came on and she just did not require much feed at all! I wish I had kept better track of it now.

I don't have the Luxury of spring growth for Eleanor, so I'm going to have to give her good hay and supplement the rest it appears. Your advice on feed is greatly appreciated gal. I have an acquaintance/friend that is doing this type deal pretty much full time. Her feed comes from 30 miles away. Custom mix. Seems very high protein.

Here's the breakdown...
Coop cow is 20% protein, wheat mids are 17.5% and my fat ration is 12%
Plus alfalfa hay

I'm thinking 20% percent cubes and honey grain which is 9% as well as some corn to help.
IF I can find some alfalfa reasonable I may get a couple bales.

O! Bessie bred right away I just held the bull off everyone here at home to get them out of February!! February has just become too damn brutal for me to mess with calving in it.

TOTAL COSTS are something else altogether huh?
This is kinda more geared towards the hobby/homesteaders type that wants to have a cow or two around and not mow etc.
I suppose they could even milk the cow and raise less calves if they wanted to. But I won't be doing that. So costs for this type situation is what I'm shooting for. I also understand, some folks won't have hay rings, feed troughs, panels for penning, etc. And that will be a much bigger investment to start out. As well as purchasing hay and feed this time of year.

She may or may not be profitable this first year. If she proves as good as Bessie tho, I'll be over the moon!

Thanks again!
Nice to see some interest in the financial part of this mess we call life!

Edited to add.
They gave me a bit of feed they use to help her transition over to my feeding.

Last edited:
Weighed a bit of feed this morning.
1 scoop of previous owner feed
1 scoop honey grain
1 scoop 14% creep

11lbs

That's what she got this morning. Still doing some research. May go with 20% cubes instead of the creep. And add some corn. I'll get it sorted out

Well the calves don't appear to be starving anyway. Tho they nibble at hay with their adopted momma. She was a heck of a kicker for a while there. Just been watching and waiting. Gonna change a few things up shortly.
U can guess what the heifers name in the rear is....
View attachment 22678View attachment 22679
That heifer might be called S**t for Brains... or just plain S**thead.

Latest posts