Eleanor (Profitability from Jersey cows)

Help Support CattleToday:

How far is it from you to say Harrisonburg VA ???? Maybe you need to make a trip with a truck and trailer and get a dozen at the stockyards here on a Wed evening.... $50 to 300 each.... lots of holstein bull calves go for $50 and as feeders now are bringing 1.20 /lb at 400 lbs.... Or a Saturday.... I just got one off the dairy up the road.... black ang x hol for $150..... 7 miles from the house and put it right on a beef cow that lost her calf.... took her 3 days and a couple of shots to get her to come into her milk, but she took it without any problems.
Most calves are dairy x though.....
Over 1200 miles! 🤣
No trailer needed. I've found out I can put 3 maybe 4 in my crate in the back of the truck. Should be able to get 2 riding shotgun...

I'm still on the lookout. Something always turns up. Gotta be patient. I can shuffle a couple if I need to in the meantime

That green grass looks almost as good as the grass!
I'm sure enjoying seeing green come up, even if it's junk! 😆

I gotta get these 2 big calves off of her and weaned. Hoping I can find her a new baby soon.
I think I'm gonna get a new one on her and turn her out with everyone else. This south acre is in need of rest badly. It's basically just a big pen

Got my fingers crossed for a wee lil one tomorrow!

Then I'll get the big 'uns off and weaned. We will see about that profitability part before too long. Got a big upswing in the market. It's gonna skew the results I think!

@gcreekrch funny u should say that!
I didn't buy her, but yesterday there was a fresh 6 yr old jersey that ended up at the sale barn. She had lost her calf that morning. Fresh in milk!!
She went for about 500 bucks.

On another topic, I said I've never had a charolais bottle calf. Well yep, they sold a 60lb heifer yesterday. She brought 275. Another bid and I might've got her!

So I got Eleanor moved to the pen with the 2 new ones. I was a little late as her other 3 had already drained her. So the calves will just have to wait til this evening to eat. That's OK. They'll be HUNGRY! And that helps a bunch when ya want em to suck a new cow.

I got a 60lb black twin heifer calf for 300
And yesterday I got a 95lb black bull for 200
This is 50 bucks more each than I like to buy em for, but I felt fortunate to get em bought for that. When bottle broke calves are mostly bringing 350-500!! Craziness!

I have not sold any of her calves yet. They will all be weaned 30days at least before I sell em. I put the 4 outta my pen with Eleanor's 3 in the south acre.

Let's mingle!!
20230226_095226.jpg20230226_081325.jpg
More pics this evening I hope!

She does a pretty good job. But she's a bit touchy when the calves first start in on her. I've watched her with the last group, and she almost ALWAYS kicks a few times before the calves get settled in and she stands for em.

The big bull calf was VERY hungry. And quite aggressive once he realized there is more than one cow in the world!

The lil heifer is very bashful.
She didn't care much for sharing (she would jump back every time the bull bumped the udder) and went off and started nibbling on hay. I let the bull get his fill. Then showed her where it's at again.

Now her favorite heifer from the first set is bawling and that's got mama a bit antsy. She's hollering back at the lil heifer across the way. They can still see each other. I fed like usual and the heifer shut up. Briefly...

It will take a lil more work yet.......

Love a milk face!
20230226_163718.jpg20230226_163606.jpg20230226_163920.jpg

Good point on the calories!!
But I'm still gonna give a bit extra.

I'd have bought that fresh jersey cow in 2 seconds.....
I seriously seriously considered it.
My biggest concern was why did a 6 year old cow lose her calf. She was also retaining placenta. I was concerned she aborted for some reason. They gave no info other than she lost her calf that morning. She appeared healthy aside from being thinner.

But I've learned from past experiences, if my gut says otherwise, probly best to listen.

I sure could've put these 2 on her real easy! And been looking for more!

So it's not all peaches and cream guys. I'll update with what is probably the most frustrating part of bottle-calfing/milk-cowing.
And that's getting the new ones grafted successfully!
Eleanor was pretty kool yesterday until she realized her old babies were not coming back. This morning she was visibly agitated!
Antsy, kicking, etc.
The calves are within sight of her, but they are all weaning/calling/mooing to each other. Fenceline weaning....

The lil bull is pretty good at dodging kicks and getting back to it. He got enough this morning.
But lil heifer is so shy/skittish. She just comes a running to me when anything at all goes wrong. 🤣

Now bovine have no concept of time or convenience. I stuck a bottle in the heifer this morning. She didn't get a lot yesterday and Eleanor's frustration had the lil one spooked. So she got hardly anything this morning. I'll add a bag of milk replacer to her costs....
Now a resourceful person could've milked the cow in a chute and done it that way!
Takes time is all.

We shall persevere.
She will settle in a couple days. I can also tell she is holding milk back. Not letting down etc.
20230227_070052.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts