Ekka Continental breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Here are a few of the continental breeds that were on show at the Brisbane Ekka.

Simmental

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Limo

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Bazadais

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Charolais

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Pied

IMG_0040.jpg

Romagnola

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Blonde

IMG_0582.jpg

Huge difference than any I have seen in the US. Softer flesh which could be due to being a show bull but less frame than any limosuine I have seen over here. I would find it hard to believe that the meat on that animal would be like shoe leather or have no marbling.

u4411clb":1pxoyi7m said:
ALACOWMAN":1pxoyi7m said:
u4411clb":1pxoyi7m said:
Now that is a Simmental.
what do you think about the limousine bull??

Do you think that there would have to be a place in the cattle industry for simmental bulls like that? I know the spots but besides that.
no,, not anymore..... exactally what folks have been breeding """away"" from. the spots are just a indicator.. far the limo. it must be the foundation stock the were bred up from...look at their brahman breeds, you could take the hide off one, and put on the other... and not tell much different all have pretty much the the same phenotype...

u4411clb":8bpu1pbq said:
Huge difference than any I have seen in the US. Softer flesh which could be due to being a show bull but less frame than any limosuine I have seen over here. I would find it hard to believe that the meat on that animal would be like shoe leather or have no marbling.

The majority of the limousine bulls were a more traditional phenotype like below

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Andrew

[/quote]
Do you think that there would have to be a place in the cattle industry for simmental bulls like that? I know the spots but besides that.[/quote] no,, not anymore..... exactally what folks have been breeding """away"" from. the spots are just a indicator.. far the limo. it must be the foundation stock the were bred up from...look at their brahman breeds, you could take the hide off one, and put on the other... and not tell much different all have pretty much the the same phenotype...[/quote]

I understand what you are saying but I think those simmental bulls seem a little thicker and not as tall and rangey as the ones they were trying to breed away from. I can't see what Charlois do that those type of Simmentals couldn't. But you must be right because there was a reason they have went out of style and went black. But if those 2 bulls there could have a calf under 90 lbs I could see those used as straight terminal not even worrying about keeping any heifers.

The simmental bull you rave about is extremely short hipped. It could be just the photos, but it doesn't look like a lot of attention is paid to structural soundness of especially the hindlegs across the continental breeds.

KNERSIE":1u0p0bxn said:
The simmental bull you rave about is extremely short hipped. It could be just the photos, but it doesn't look like a lot of attention is paid to structural soundness of especially the hindlegs across the continental breeds.

I am sure plenty of the bulls I have now have issues too so I think those terrible bulls could fit in my program if I could afford them. Looks like a pretty high end show from the pics with allot of quality cattle I am willing to bet nothing in that show would go for under $10,000 U.S. so I don't think I would have these to worry about.

KNERSIE":1s7vbvgx said:

Is the short hip an issue for mobility/longevity or for the amount of red meat the carcass holds?

Andrew

The only one(bull) i really like is the older Romagnola bull. For the cows I like the Char cow with the calf on her!

Beautiful. Thanks very much for those pics. I am releived to see that the breeds are being maintained somewhere in this world.

That's not a red factor cow.

'Red factor' is a misnomer for Chars that don't possess the diluter as well. All pb charolais are homozygous red.

ALACOWMAN":28ubkquo said:
no offence by this ,, but it looks like ya'll, put the tradition back in traditional...

bward":28ubkquo said:
Beautiful. Thanks very much for those pics. I am releived to see that the breeds are being maintained somewhere in this world.

I'm assuming we're talking about traditional colours as opposed to breeds turning black? Or are we talking breed phenotype as well?

Andrew

Massey135":23smr8fd said:
That's not a red factor cow.

'Red factor' is a misnomer for Chars that don't possess the diluter as well. All pb charolais are homozygous red.

The Australian Charolais breed standard refers to cattle with a light red colour as "Red Factor". I've got no idea about diluter genes etc.

Andrew

Latest posts