Economics of FMD

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I would like to hear some (more) thoughts from folks about the economic side of this disease. As a youngster, I use to love spending time on my grandfathers ranch and now, as a midster, I have the opportunity to buy some cattle of my own. After the advent of this outbreak in Europe, I find myself frozen in my tracks. There was a local vet that came on TV here in Oklahoma a few days ago and gave the disease a 50/50 chance of entering the country. There is talk that the govt will pay "fair market value" for cows if they have to slaughter but I don't have a good handle on what "that" would be. Anyway, I'm sure there are people in the govt, cattle associations, etc making plans on the advent of an outbreak in the US. I'm sure some of you are making plans of your own. I'd like to hear your take on the economic impact and what you'all in the industry are planning to do. What are you doing now? What will you do if it hits? What's the word on the steet about a course of action?

Thanx for your insight.

John B

> I would like to hear some (more)
> thoughts from folks about the
> economic side of this disease. As
> a youngster, I use to love
> spending time on my grandfathers
> ranch and now, as a midster, I
> have the opportunity to buy some
> cattle of my own. After the advent
> of this outbreak in Europe, I find
> myself frozen in my tracks. There
> was a local vet that came on TV
> here in Oklahoma a few days ago
> and gave the disease a 50/50
> chance of entering the country.
> There is talk that the govt will
> pay "fair market value"
> for cows if they have to slaughter
> but I don't have a good handle on
> what "that" would be.
> Anyway, I'm sure there are people
> in the govt, cattle associations,
> etc making plans on the advent of
> an outbreak in the US. I'm sure
> some of you are making plans of
> your own. I'd like to hear your
> take on the economic impact and
> what you'all in the industry are
> planning to do. What are you doing
> now? What will you do if it hits?
> What's the word on the steet about
> a course of action?

> Thanx for your insight.

> John B I'm no expert on the disease,but I would suggest that more economic damage could be caused by trying to eradicate infections than by the direct effects of the disease itself. Our state has launched a massive effort to eradicate Ovine Johnes disease in sheep. The disease itself has caused big losses to a lot of producers,yet even now there is very little known about controlling and managing the disease, only about detecting traces of it and getting rid of the animals. The real cost in the first place lies squarely on the shoulders of the sheep owners who have to sell infected sheep.

[email protected]

Latest posts