Easy Flank Steak Recipe (and "the rules")

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
I don't like to cook. So if I do something different, it has to be easy and, it goes without saying, delicious. I've got some frozen flank steak that I need to use, but I am clueless. Before you offer any help, please read my rules:

1. The recipe can't go beyond one page. Short attention span? :nod:

2. It can't have another recipe in it (if it calls for a certain sauce and the recipe for the sauce is another entire recipe, it's out).

3. It should have a picture that makes it look really good. This gives me a goal and something to compare my pitiful efforts to.

I will totally understand if no one posts anything in response to this. It's okay. :cry2:

Gail, flank steak is one of my favorite cuts and I wish there were more than two on each animal. I suggest Korean style with white rice, very easy :)

Slice the flank diagonally across the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Try to do it with the knife very flat so you get nice wide slices. Marinate these for 10 - 15 minutes in this mixture:

1 Tbs grill seasoning
1/4 cup soy sauce
2-3 cloves crushed garlic, depends on how much you like
2 tsp sesame oil
2 green onions, sliced thin

The measurements don't have to be precise and can be adjusted. Grill the slices on a nice hot bbq or cast iron pan with a drop or two of cooking oil (I prefer the bbq). I like them quick seared with a little pink inside, but that's a matter of preference. Serve with steamed rice and grilled veggies.

eta: sorry, no photo as per rule #3. Here's a photo of Korean style shortribs, another one of my favorites. The flavors are the same in both recipes. The flank steak would be a flattened version though. Originally posted here http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51112&hilit=+short+ribs

100_2141.jpg

Score it on both sides in an X pattern. Rub both sides liberally with butter/margarine, sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Grill it over a medium to high heat for about 10-15 minutes a side depending on the thickness. Let it stand for about 10 minutes and slice it thin across the grain.

Gale, I also grill it like Dun does . I marinate overnight to make shoarma/shawarma . I have used it to make fajitas as well .

When grilled to medium rare ,it is a very tender cut and very tasty .

Hey, you guys are amazing. THANK YOU! I will let you know what I end up with and maybe I'll even post a picture, but don't count on that.

Thanks again.

i borrowed this.
season with fajita seasoning, garlic, pepper, or your favorite.
little apple cider vinegar, peppers onion and etc. and marinate for few hours.
attachment.jpg

slice thin
attachment-1.jpg

marinate
attachment-2.jpg

grill
attachment-4.jpg

chop
attachment-5.jpg

serve
attachment-3.jpg

Cross_7, that looks amazing. I love fajitas, but haven't ever tried to make them at home. I may have to clean out the freezer to incorporate all of these recipes. Thanks!

Those are complicated for me! I just make sure the steak is pounded out, sort of square/rectangle shape. I mix up some Worsch. and olive oil with a little crushed garlic and brush it on one side of the steak. Then, on that brushed side, I sprinkle some chopped green onion, chopped mushrooms -- you can be creative depending on what you like for ingredients -- then roll it up and fasten the edges with toothpics are skewers. I've seen this done with bacon wrapped around the roll, also, but I don't do that. You can throw it on the grill, or cook it in the oven, or whatever, to your desired doneness, and then just cut off slices.

It does get a little dry -- Have not figured out a good, complimentary sauce to serve over it; but maybe something w/ red wine ??

Kathie in Thorp":gbfapfop said:
Those are complicated for me! I just make sure the steak is pounded out, sort of square/rectangle shape. I mix up some Worsch. and olive oil with a little crushed garlic and brush it on one side of the steak. Then, on that brushed side, I sprinkle some chopped green onion, chopped mushrooms -- you can be creative depending on what you like for ingredients -- then roll it up and fasten the edges with toothpics are skewers. I've seen this done with bacon wrapped around the roll, also, but I don't do that. You can throw it on the grill, or cook it in the oven, or whatever, to your desired doneness, and then just cut off slices.

It does get a little dry -- Have not figured out a good, complimentary sauce to serve over it; but maybe something w/ red wine ??
To keep it a little more moist stick a pan of water in the oven or grill with it.

Fajitas! I like to marinate the steak whole, grill it, then slice for fajitas. But you could slice first, then marinate and cook in a skillet.

Juice of one lime
2-4 chopped chipotle chilis (use 2 and remove some seeds if you are "heat sensitive". Use more and leave the seeds if you like spice)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed/chopped
a little oil, I like olive
salt & pepper

Marinate the steak from two hours to overnight. Longer for whole steak, shorter if you cut it up first.

I like sauteed bell peppers and onions, sour cream and salsa in my fajitas. Doesn't need cheese, IMHO. You can fix it up however you like. If cooking on the grill, you can do the veggies on it too if you have one of those grill pans.