Easiest Birth I ever witnessed - Composure Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a nice non-pedigree heifer that I raised on the farm. She was born 9/24/2012. Isn't that amazing? Today is her 2 year old birthday and she had her calf. She was AI'd 12/27/13 to a Select Sire PB Angus Bull - Composure. Her due date was 10/03/14. So she was 9 days early. I thought she seemed inactive this morning. I was on the back of the farm and came driving up to the shop in the Utility Vehicle. I had her in the holding area. I stopped for a second and noticed that she was standing like she was about to go in labor. I went into the shop and came out 3 to 5 minutes later and she was licking her calf. Amazing how fast that all happened.
2i0g20k.jpg

2lc21ed.jpg

qx9zz5.jpg

Nice.. it's always great to have them plop out, I've got one cow (mother of my bull calf) that I've missed the birth several times because I blinked.. I think from the time the feet showed while she was standing, to it being on the ground was about 2 minutes or so.

they both look really nice :)

wbvs58":36g86oso said:
So you actually missed the birth Ron? It looks like a fair size calf too. Good one Ron, I know you were worried about her.
Ken

I missed it. She was done and I didn't see a thing not even the feet stage. I raised this heifer from Panda Bear. One of those original four cows I bought from my brother. Panda Bear is an easy calver.

I was worried; look at the condition on this heifer. She never saw a pellet of mixed feed all summer because I have been concerned of her condition. For the last two months she has been in a small pasture with a couple others. There is still grass and they have low quality hay. She had mineral too. Despite these measures, she continued to put on weight. But I am getting some experience managing condition. If the GOOD LORD lets me do this another 100 years, I might figure it out. :D

HERE IS AN IDEA I GOT FROM THE COST SHARE MEETING IN EARLY SEPTEMBER. COMPOSTING THE PLACENTA:
2mch8c1.jpg

Glad it was that easy Ron! Always nice when that happens. (Especially after your couple of bad experiences.) Congratulations!

Congrats Ron, they look really nice! Our last heifer wasn't as fortunate, found the heifer with a dead calf the next morning. Heifer was fine standing over the calf licking and lightly bawling to it. Guess it took her to long to get it out. Wasn't a large calf though and she was our largest heifer just bad luck I suppose. Hoping for more success for us both.

FlyingLSimmentals":21hs8obo said:
Congrats Ron, they look really nice! Our last heifer wasn't as fortunate, found the heifer with a dead calf the next morning. Heifer was fine standing over the calf licking and lightly bawling to it. Guess it took her to long to get it out. Wasn't a large calf though and she was our largest heifer just bad luck I suppose. Hoping for more success for us both.

Thanks, Mike. Life is tough business. We are brought into the world no fault of our own. Our journey is an experience and then we return to our beginnings. It is not worth the distraction to look back. Neither the good nor the bad is real anymore. Hard to do sometime but I am getting a little better at it.

Take care, my friend. Happy to see you here. :D

Brother GOOD LOOKING PAIR... I have a calf that was born today.. I didn't go see what it was cause it was raining but will check later.

skyhightree1":26bw5cp8 said:
Brother GOOD LOOKING PAIR... I have a calf that was born today.. I didn't go see what it was cause it was raining but will check later.

Thank you, my very fine Brother. Send me some rain. It is dry!

inyati13":121rgdiw said:
skyhightree1":121rgdiw said:

Thank you, my very fine Brother. Send me some rain. It is dry!

GLADLY... its on its way

Latest posts