Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

They are forecasting a high of 63 this coming Friday.
I have marked in my log book a high of 97 on Sept. 11th, 2013.
I'm going to try and be ready for it all

Up in NW Minnesota, already seeing geese flying south, oaks are loaded with acorns and dropping them so fast this morning it sounded like it was raining. Horses are hairing up pretty good too... all signs pointing to an early/long winter!! :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Summers are always too dang short up here!! This felt like one of the shortest! Still trying to put up alfalfa.... :mad:

I smelled it in the air on the 4th. Almost like the smell of the first freeze of the year. Sinus pressure was really strong then too. Makes you wonder whats in store

alisonb":1vpkstwi said:
If it's anything to go by, we have 86 degrees here today...a hot summers day!

Haven't seen any warm weather here yet... spring is really slow to arrive this year.

Snakes have been on the roads for weeks now. This too is early. The black birds have been gathering and the gees are flying high too

Before the end of August we were well below seasonals with only 5 degrees away from freezing and we had to turn the heat on already.

They are predicting a long cold winter for the prairies again

This year had the latest spring and mildest summer I remember (we haven't officially hit 100 yet, and I remember other years with weeks of consecutive days over 100), so I guess an early winter would fit right in with the trend.

We never say 90 here and it already feels like fall. There is a farm to table place on the outskirts of town that raises an acre or two of bush acorn squash. The frost burned the tops of the plants on Monday night. That's the earliest I have seen a frost here in 10 years. I am already covering my tomatoes at night.

Reports from noth east Texas and southern Arkansas say persimmon seeds have spoons in them. Old wive's tales say look out when that happens. Bad winter is forthcoming.

Farmers almanac saying everything east of the Rocky Mountains in for an extremely cold winter... :santa:

Been so cold and wet up north here along the Canuck border that much of the wheat and second cutting hay haven't been harvested yet... Supposed to be in 80's today- but have 50's with lows below freezing by Tues with a cold front moving in..

Never even got a summer up here.... Terrible short growing season this year...

backhoeboogie":2tn2hpyx said:
Reports from noth east Texas and southern Arkansas say persimmon seeds have spoons in them. Old wive's tales say look out when that happens. Bad winter is forthcoming.

Guess we need to walk down in the pasture and check our trees. To us, spoons have always meant that we will have to shovel some snow. Knife means that it will get cold enough to cut through you like a knife and the fork means a mild winter.

24 C today and sunny . High of +3 tomorrow and snow . :mad:
The Martins and Humming birds left last Monday . Haven't heard many geese flying south yet . I am going to try and cover my plants and flowers all week as we are supposed to be back in the high teens by the weekend . I Hate Winter !

Sounded like a massive bird convention in our trees yesterday and then completely dead quiet this morning.
Robins and meadow larks are already out of the country and only a few fly catchers left.

Been feeling like fall for around 3 weeks here. Warm days and really cool nights. Early here too. Just got a feeling to hurry up and get things done!

Rafter S":d630cmpf said:
We just got a cool front. It's 83deg at 5:30pm. That's 10-15deg cooler than usual.
Never got hot here today either. I think we got up to about 88, mostly cloudy and a breeze. Suppose to be hot the next 3-4 days then high of about 80....hope that type weather stays here.

TexasBred":2fv3a2uj said:
Rafter S":2fv3a2uj said:
We just got a cool front. It's 83deg at 5:30pm. That's 10-15deg cooler than usual.
Never got hot here today either. I think we got up to about 88, mostly cloudy and a breeze. Suppose to be hot the next 3-4 days then high of about 80....hope that type weather stays here.

Been raining here since 2 pm already got over two inches.

Latest posts