Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Went to the state auction yesterday and was the successful bidder on a 2004 Taurus wagon. :nod: So far I am favorably impressed with my purchase :D

Rain held off for the auction. Cloudy with temps in 40s. I was comfortable with my winter coat with hood up. Didn't wear gloves, so kept my hands in my pockets most of the day. ;-)

Here we are usually a day later with the leftover weather the Montanans and Canadians get. :lol: Today will be cooler with highs in the 30s. Higher elevations of the SD Black Hills could see 7" of snow out of this deal. WY Big Horns likely get more. TV weather guy said this will be the earliest there has ever been that much snow accumulation. :eek:

Lows in high 20s for a couple days. Back to 60s and 70s forecast for highs next week, but you know how that goes sometimes. :shock:

john250":9y1lykzg said:
hillsdown":9y1lykzg said:
Most of the snow has melted and we didn't have too much tree damage but it is cold . We got to a high of 36F today , more snow again overnight . About an hour south of us got a lot of snow and they are supped to get another 15 cm's overnight so I guess it could be worse .Supposed to warm up again by Sunday , it cannot come soon enough . Better make sure I remember to turn on the heating tapes for the drinkers , supposed to get to -5C tomorrow night .

Those heat tapes. They use electricity. Your utility may use coal, or oil, but all that carbon is causing the world to warm. You'll be growing cotton in Alberta in a few years. Stay warm.

lol Mr John, heat tapes are a godsend for us dumbschitts that do this cattle deal in frigid climates! HD can grow cotton, I'm leaning towards rice myself.

MistyMorning":28vnw1pn said:
john250":28vnw1pn said:
hillsdown":28vnw1pn said:
Most of the snow has melted and we didn't have too much tree damage but it is cold . We got to a high of 36F today , more snow again overnight . About an hour south of us got a lot of snow and they are supped to get another 15 cm's overnight so I guess it could be worse .Supposed to warm up again by Sunday , it cannot come soon enough . Better make sure I remember to turn on the heating tapes for the drinkers , supposed to get to -5C tomorrow night .

Those heat tapes. They use electricity. Your utility may use coal, or oil, but all that carbon is causing the world to warm. You'll be growing cotton in Alberta in a few years. Stay warm.

lol Mr John, heat tapes are a godsend for us dumbschitts that do this cattle deal in frigid climates! HD can grow cotton, I'm leaning towards rice myself.
You aren't kidding , we are thinking about going off the grid but my insistence that I DO NOT want to live here anymore has slowed the process down just a bit ..
I am just fine with cotton MM , as long as it doesn't get below freezing anymore . :D :tiphat:

I guess the only thing that keeps us dumbchyttes going is that we don't have snakes or black widows or scorpions or alligators or ! :lol2: :lol: :p

We used to use heat tapes in the pump house. Seems they only last till about half way through winter then I have to thaw everything out and put a new tape on. Finally decided to put a small milkhouse heater in there. It's set to come on at about 40 degrees. Works great down to multiple days in a row with highs in the teens.

The goldenrod should be in full bloom here in Middle GA next week. You can already see some yellow. The cows and calves are beginning to grow some hair. Weather is still hot. High in 90's. Rain almost every afternoon now for a week, after such a dry July and August. Hopefully, this will be enough to make the peanut and cotton crops without any more irrigation. The pastures look like spring. The grass is so green,after being almost dried up a week ago. We are truly thankful for the rain. I do not look forward to winter. Hope we won't have the low temps and snow that we had last winter. It was very hard on the cows and people, too.
I have not felt fall in the air in early morning yet. More rain and then cooler weather is in the forecast for next week.

We had a light frost here on tuesday.. it wasn't welcome, but it's warmed up again since... I think I will keep a couple extra bales on hand this year.. my cattle are growing hair again too

Hard freezes several nights in a row here. Yesterday morning I just started the car up, cranked up the defroster to clear the windshield, and came back in the house for another cup of coffee. Too lazy to go find the ice scraper. :oops: Guess I better though :yuck: