Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Hummingbirds are starting to gather here before the trip across the Gulf. This is two to three weeks early.
Before they leave it will be literally thousands like something out of a National Geographic show one day, the next they are gone. Wished I knew how to post a video of them from last year.
The vocalizing between them is something as well.

DCA farm said:
They are something to watch while sitting on the porch
From last year.
Takes a pretty good camera to capture the little syrup slurppers.
About a week before they leave there are so many the Mrs. goes through a couple gallons of sugar water a day.
We have people come just to photograph the little birds there are so many.

Thanks for the pics and video! Lucky you to be in their migratory flyway! Can't imagine the roar of their chatter. Anna's have become winter adapted here/don't migrate. When the temps are low they slow their metabolism down and go into a stupor. Wake up predawn and give you heck if you're late putting up the feeders on a frosty morn.

We had about a dozen of them. About a week ago they all disappeared. That was about the time when the low temperature got into the 40's.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Son of Butch said:
I heard Farmer's Almanac is predicting one of the harshest Januarys in decades for Minnesota.
I have no idea what it is based on.

Wooly worm.

Saw my first wooly worm of the season yesterday...it was solid orange. That's supposed to be a mild winter.

Son of Butch said:
I heard Farmer's Almanac is predicting one of the harshest Januarys in decades for Minnesota.
I have no idea what it is based on.

A super computer algorithm. :nod:

Better stock up on ice fishing gear before it's gone!

Some grain is going to be froze out. Just a question of how much. If you need some, and it pencils with current calf prices, better load up soon.

Are the soybeans going to make it up there Steve? When we were up there at the end of July they had a long way to go. Corn was short but starting to tassel when we left so hopefully that finished out well. I know plant height can have a lot to do with variety. The alfalfa looked great but I think drying it was an issue.

Had an early September frost a few years ago. Top half of bean plants froze off. Bottom yielded 20 bu/acre.

A brisk 39 degrees in Ely right now. No bugs flying at that temp. :banana:

Stocker Steve said:
Had an early September frost a few years ago. Top half of bean plants froze off. Bottom yielded 20 bu/acre.

A brisk 39 degrees in Ely right now. No bugs flying at that temp. :banana:
Are these figures pretty spot on for soybean farming. Looks like it would not take much dollars per bushel to make or break you.
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/archive/carringt/05data/05%20Annual%20Report/A%20Review%20of%20Soybean%20Production%20Costs.htm

Folks have gotten serious about growing beans in recent years, and there is a strong upward yield trend.

Last fall, parts of ND was a sea of beans with no place to go.

One time I had probably 3 or 4 gallons of soybean seeds left over from planting and I poured them in a circle around a pecan tree as a mulch or fertilizer, don't really remember my reasoning for doing it, but I do remember after a few weeks they decomposed and smelled like rotten meat.

Hummingbirds up here are few and far between, two feeders we filled once a week from spring till a couple weeks ago are still full, wrens that started to build 2nd nest abandoned them are gone, not hard to figure out that its going to be a early and cold winter.

haase said:
Hummingbirds up here are few and far between, two feeders we filled once a week from spring till a couple weeks ago are still full, wrens that started to build 2nd nest abandoned them are gone, not hard to figure out that its going to be a early and cold winter.

I have never seen them start to swarm in August. Earliest I ever remember is middle of September.

Latest posts