Dumbest Thing That Has Happened To You

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
I just leaving a field that I finished harrowing yesterday when suddenly the tractor started to bark like i was pulling a plow behind. I couldn't figure it out, thats until I looked behind me and saw that my harrow set was missing 2 of its wheels! So there I was stuck in the middle of the road with this puzzling situation. Anyway I found the calpret that broke the wheels off, it was about 4 inch rock. Both tires must have drove over it. But what really bugs me is that the day before I through that very rock over to the side of the road so that I wouldn't drive over it. I guess it showed me!!

If a little ole gravel like that broke its wheels off it ain't nothin like tough enough for this part of the country. You need to go ahead an break the legs off of them rocks when you throw them out of the way, or they will come back every time.

Gosh, that is a tough question cause I suffer frequently from flatulance of the brain. Most recent was a couple of weeks ago. I was drilling some sorghum when a bearing went out. I ran the last bit of seed out then fixed the bearing then switched over to pearl millet in another field without resetting the seed rate. I can now attest to the fact that 40 lbs of pearl millet drilled on an acre does create a mighty fine stand. Little on the expensive side but what the heck.

Red Bull Breeder":nvda0hwb said:
If a little ole gravel like that broke its wheels off it ain't nothin like tough enough for this part of the country. You need to go ahead an break the legs off of them rocks when you throw them out of the way, or they will come back every time.

I 'm going to do one better. Tie it up and bury it 6 feet in the ground. I just bought that harrow set this spring, its a 60ft Brandt

two things come to mind, but if you ask my husband there are many...I truely think i am a make work project in progress..but here goes
1. Trying to take on a 1200 # cow who just calved...and lost

2. First year raking hay, didn't know it was there really, who thought there was such a thing as 75 year old barb wire in the bush...well not no more. Wrapped it around the rake reels real well.

3. oh yeah this was a good one. Backed the 35 Massie into the "good" truck...popped the clutch :oops:

4. set the yard on fire trying to do spring clean up fire guarding the yard...with flax bales about 10 feet away (the wind break on the yard)... did i mention, I was at the time, a city girl gone farming? :oops: Who new flax bales were not flame retardant.

need i go on?

The last three dumbest things were all in the first year on the farm.

Red Bull Breeder":2rdyanyy said:

I agree. Around here 4 inch barely qualifys as coarse sand!

dun":2jwmhdqt said:
Red Bull Breeder":2jwmhdqt said:

I agree. Around here 4 inch barely qualifys as coarse sand!

Thats what ticks me off. 1 out of a million chance and it happens to me. That reminds me, I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Left the house early one morning going to the south place,about 5 mi. Pulling a chissel plow with tractor.I had a steel thermos full of coffee. Going down the blacktop at the highest rate of speed when the thermos fell and hit the lever and lowered the plow.Now that sure makes for a sudden stop.
And the county sure likes to charge for the labor and material reparing a little piece of blacktop.

They need to put chissel plows on the back of drag cars instead of parachutes.

Cal

Calman":1cngu505 said:
Left the house early one morning going to the south place,about 5 mi. Pulling a chissel plow with tractor.I had a steel thermos full of coffee. Going down the blacktop at the highest rate of speed when the thermos fell and hit the lever and lowered the plow.Now that sure makes for a sudden stop.
And the county sure likes to charge for the labor and material reparing a little piece of blacktop.

They need to put chissel plows on the back of drag cars instead of parachutes.

Cal

Now I laughed out loud at that one Calman.

It is a good way to check out the different kind of bugs thats stuck to the winshield.A real close up view.

Cal

Must be nice to have made so few really bad screwups that you can single out one as the worst!

dun":1krwl4iw said:
Must be nice to have made so few really bad screwups that you can single out one as the worst!

Now Dun, that was probably by far not the worst screwup,just the last one I can remember.
I've had so many I can't remember them all. That's prolly why I continue to have them.

Cal

Many years ago in a galaxy far far away.......

I was the cowman at a good sized outfit. Was fairly new on the job and inherited an old Bronco pickup as a farm work vehicle.

My assistant and I were moving a bunch of cows and we had a few reluctant gals who saw no good reason to exit the woodland where they were forted up. It was a real hilly section and the knobs were cleared and grassed and the bottoms were all woods. the cows were being difficult and we should have been horseback but weren't and the horses were miles and hours away. The cows would run around a knob and duck back in the woods and head back were we had driven them from.

In an effort to head them off, I jumped in the bronco and went to the top of the hill. the hill on the other side was too steep to hurry down and if I eased down it the cows would be by me before I got there so, I parked it and shoved it in reverse because the emergency brake was shot. I ran down the short steep hill and cut the cows off . I got em headed and as the other guy came around the hill and we headed the cows in the right direction we heard this sound like a big bell ringing and then a woof, woof, woof, woof sound getting louder and faster. The ringing sound was the housing when the bronco jumped out of gear and the woofing was it gathering speed as it came down the hill toward us. It tackled a sweet gum tree about eighteen inches in diameter and shoved the engine nearly into the drivers seat. On the positive side it caused the cows to decide that leaving the area was a good thing to do and they hauled ass toward where we needed them to go. Then I had to haul ass over there to get the stragglers through the gate and get it shut before they came back.

we walked about five miles back to the main farm.

To this day the old boss probably still thinks I either did it on purpose or that I am the dumbest hire he ever made.

Calman":1pu2g4e0 said:
dun":1pu2g4e0 said:

Now Dun, that was probably by far not the worst screwup,just the last one I can remember.

Cal

That's more like it.

Three weeks ago I noticed a small crack in the draw bar on the tractor as I was hooking up the sprayer. I had been doing alot of disking over the winter preparing a new hayfield. Hmm... should I stop and go get a replacement, or just weld this one? Either option would have taken an hour and its such a small crack that I'm sure it will hold. Besides, I need to finish this job and get to work. So I fill up the sprayer and get started. It held for about 30 minutes and when it broke the PTO shaft on the sprayer bent and the universal on the shaft desintegrated. So its off to town to get a new draw bar, shaft, and universal. As luck would have it I had to go to 3 different places to get the 3 different parts. Four hours later and about $150 I'm finally spraying again.

not sure this is farm related but it is surely a hillbilly moment. i was at a fancy dinner party where i didn't belong in the first place, but in trying to impress the hostess i said " why, these are the best whores de vooors i've ever had." i get all red even thinkin of it, everyone was quiet a minute, then busted out. dumb can happen anywhere, anytime. :oops:

20 years ago or so the battery was dead on the tractor, jumper cables were bad and I was all alone. So I set the brake and chained the truck to it. Put the truck in drive with it idled up and it pulling against the tractor. Got on the tractor and put it in high gear and released the break. Slowly it started rolling and I released the clutch, the tractor cranked right up. I pushed in the clutch, put the tractor in nuetral and applied the break on the tractor to stop the truck. Everything stopped but somehow the hook rolled and the truck took off on its own dragging the chain behind it. I was running across the top of the hill trying to catch the truck before it went off the incline. The truck hit a mountain cedar and almost pushed it out. The tree bent and the front end was off the ground with the back tires spinning when I got in it. I had to pull that truck out of the tree with the tractor.

I haven't tried that again.

This is not related to farming or cattle at all...goes way back to my "banking days". Was at a banking convention wearing the typical 3 piece monkey suit. Everyone took a break and I headed off to take a leak. Naturally when finished i unpopped the hook on my pants and re-tucked my shirt tail in all neat and everything. (wanted to look good you know)...walked back out into the hotel lobby and over to get a cup of coffee....noticed something just didn't quite feel right....Low and behold I had also tucked the tail of my coat into my pants.....Talking about hauling a$$....tried to be invisible the remainder of the convention.

Latest posts