Dumbest Thing That Has Happened To You

Help Support CattleToday:

It was a great day for baling, just a slight chance of rain that night. I had about 150 acres of green feed down. I was almost half done when I stopped to check the bearings on the baler ( another story for another time) and also the twine. It was low, so I put 2 balls in and started baling again. I made about 50 to 60 bales when I noticed that my last 2 bales were just hay stacks. I forgot to tie the balls of twine together and boy are those green feed bales heavy when you try to roll them out!

ive done some dumb things in my life.2 come to mind.1 i was driving a 3 wheeler 1 handed in a rainstorm.well i hitt a deep chugg hole in the pasture an flipped the 3 wheeler over on me.knocking the wind out of me.2 was driving the rake tractor out of a gate .an nailed the gate post with the rake.bent the rake wheel a tad.man i got yelled at for that 1.then my dad was rakeing hay.an he ran a big corner post through the rake.bending the wheel beyond repair.had to replace the wheel.i jumped him about that.an he quickly let me off the hook for bashing the gate post.

Like all the others, I have many.

Most recent one was about 2 weeks ago. Was pulling CIDRs out of my cows, and had one try to jump out of the alleyway. Long story short, she got her leg caught between two pieces of sucker rod, and had to cut one of the pieces to get her leg out. Not sure what got into her, but she wanted out of there. Anyway, in my haste, I forgot to pull the CIDR out. Just gave her the shot and turned her out. Noticed the little blue tail sticking out the next day and realized what I had done. So I get her back in and pull it out. But, I forgot to give her another PGF shot because I assumed the CIDR would override the PGF. So there is two good ones in 24 hours.

I have a 346 JD baler. We rarely baled much over a 1000 square bales a year so we just made sure to add gear oil to the transmission every so often. About 4 years ago I decided it was time to fix the leak. Put it all back together, got the timing right and started using it. To my dismay, I still had a leak but not near as bad as it had been. Last year I new I would run out of barn space for round bales so I started baleing squares to put in the barns I can't put rounds in. Baled close to 2500 when I noticed a lot of oil pooling on the tongue. Knowing the seal leaked I just figured the seal had failed again and added more oil. About this time I began to hear a slight knock in the baler, heard it more often in heavy windrows. My diagnosis, I was going to have to replace the guide rollers on the plunger. In my infinite wisdom, this could wait till the end of baling season. Almost made it, with about 200 bales to go I heard a loud bang and then a grinding noise. I stepped on the clutch, disengaged the pto, and looked behind me. Saw a cloud of dust and the flywheel wobbling. Got off the tractor to see what was happening. This is when I realized why the tongue was so oily. I had lost 5 of the bolts that hold the transmission case to the baler frame. :shock: :roll: :dunce: To make things sting even more, I had traded off an old 336 JD Baler (same transmission) a few years ago for far less than the $2500 damage done. :cry2:

Latest posts