Drought stressed pearl millet

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
I've got a 7 acre field of pearl that hasn't had a rain in almost three weeks. It is wilted bad and burnt. I put 30 tons of litter on the field in April. My question is if I cut it for hay will the nitrate levels go down as it cures?

My understanding is that nitrate doesn't dissipate over time . Levels will stay about the same as when it is mowed. Prussia acid levels will go down over time as it cures though. I always try to test any Johnson grass to try to see if nitrate levels are too high.

The only way to get the nitrate levels to lower is to chop it for silage. Typically it cuts the nitrates in about half.

circlew":ac111xgl said:
I've got a 7 acre field of pearl that hasn't had a rain in almost three weeks. It is wilted bad and burnt. I put 30 tons of litter on the field in April. My question is if I cut it for hay will the nitrate levels go down as it cures?
YOu think it will even be worth the expense ? Not going to yield much. Might be best to jsut wait on a rain.

It's going to seed and there's no rain in the forecast. I think I may bush hog it and let the cows in next week to graze the grass around the edge of the field.

If you have serious concern that the millet has high nitrate levels you could take some tissue samples to a local ag lab and have them tested to determine the actual level. Outside of maybe a $50 lab fee you'd be out your time to gather the sample and get it delivered to the lab nearest you. If you don't know where to find a nearby lab you could ask for advice from your local farm cooperative. The cost is relatively small compared to losing calves or breeding stock or giving up on the entire crop. I would think bush hogging the field would leave the crop on the ground where the cattle would likely graze it and remain exposed to the risk.

Best of luck.

Dega Moo":3p0vrats said:
If you have serious concern that the millet has high nitrate levels you could take some tissue samples to a local ag lab and have them tested to determine the actual level. Outside of maybe a $50 lab fee you'd be out your time to gather the sample and get it delivered to the lab nearest you. If you don't know where to find a nearby lab you could ask for advice from your local farm cooperative. The cost is relatively small compared to losing calves or breeding stock or giving up on the entire crop. I would think bush hogging the field would leave the crop on the ground where the cattle would likely graze it and remain exposed to the risk.

Best of luck.
True...reason I recommended leaving it alone. IF it rains it will grow a little anyway....10=12 days latter it should be good to graze, cut or whatever you want to do with it if you get enough rain. If not I'd probably shred and plow it under.

TexasBred":1erkno40 said:
Dega Moo":1erkno40 said:

Best of luck.
True...reason I recommended leaving it alone. IF it rains it will grow a little anyway....10=12 days latter it should be good to graze, cut or whatever you want to do with it if you get enough rain. If not I'd probably shred and plow it under.

Pearl millet is tough stuff.

Millet071909.jpg

0038.JPG

I bush hogged it today. I'm gonna give it a little bit to see of we get any meaningful rain before I do anything else. Don't won't to disc it in if it'll go to raining but don't want to disc it for winter pasture if it's not gonna rain either. :bang:

Latest posts