Drought Observations

Help Support CattleToday:

Rain missed us yesterday. Well, not exactly. It rained very heavily on us but we were at our daughter's house 35 miles to the east. Looks like everything went Northeast through Ft Worth. Nothing on our pastures out NW of Ft worth, We still have some moisture in the soil from rains a few days ago. Annual Ryegrass I broadcast in bare areas and under trees keeps on germinating and looking pretty good. Cautiously optimistic about having enough grass for the winter.

Good looking pasture.

It's funny how when you have grass standing even though the weather may not be prime growing time a little rain will still bring it back to life and green it up.

If you have nothing standing, and you are out of growing season, rain doesn't really do all that much for you. Most probably runs off.
Thanks. Lots of research and miles of walking with a grass plate to have a chance at managing well through this drought. Feel like the hard work has paid off. Prayin' for a late first frost and a wet spring!

Rain missed us yesterday. Well, not exactly. It rained very heavily on us but we were at our daughter's house 35 miles to the east. Looks like everything went Northeast through Ft Worth. Nothing on our pastures out NW of Ft worth, We still have some moisture in the soil from rains a few days ago. Annual Ryegrass I broadcast in bare areas and under trees keeps on germinating and looking pretty good. Cautiously optimistic about having enough grass for the winter.
Something about that....20 years ago we would be turning in on oats and ryegrass now, not watching it come up. Should have plenty in the spring, but for winter? Not so sure.

Something about that....20 years ago we would be turning in on oats and ryegrass now, not watching it come up. Should have plenty in the spring, but for winter? Not so sure.
Winter has slid back a month or two. Oats would be up by now and instead we are still cutting hay. We would be cutting May and now grass doesn't hardly take off until May or June.

We use to be comping at the bit for dove season to open because the cool fronts had already hit. Now we are lucky to get a good front the first season.

Looks good, will it grow all winter there?
I can get some grazing out it beginning in mid December by limit grazing and feeding my sorriest hay. The plan is to feed the best hay in January when the ryegrass is waiting on longer growing days and warmer temperatures. Typically begins to grow after Valentine Day and is growing like gangbuster from March to mid May.

I have some bermuda green and standing that should be good for a month or maybe two. I planted some ryegrass in September that is farther along than that broadcast just before the October rains we got here. Time will tell whether it will be enough.

Latest posts