Dream Vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
I'm probably like a lot of you here on the Boards in that I don't take "typical" vacations... The wife and Grand Kids are all in Orlando doing the Disney World thing this week but with the Farm and the Feed Store it would be impossible for me to be gone for a week (plus I'm not a big fan of crowds any where!).

I used to travel a lot on business but never really considered that much of a vacation... I still manage to sneak off for a couple of days each year and do some pheasant or duck hunting. Deer hunting is a regular weekend thing right here on the farm.

So I guess my question to all of you would be: If time and money were no obstacle, where would you like to go and what would you like to do on what you would consider a "Dream Vacation"? I'm not even sure if I would want to leave the United States since there is so much of this great country that I haven't seen yet... Maybe I would like to go out west and hunt Elk... or maybe I would like to do one of those fly-in lakes up in Alaska where they drop you off at a remote cabin and come pick you up in a week! Just thinking out loud here... What would be your Dream Vacation?

Hang out at the farm and drink beer & maybe do some work.

Taking the wife on the Viking River cruise down the Danube first week of Dec. That will be 3 countries I've never seen.

I have been places for a specific reason and enjoyed seeing people I haven't seen in a while and meeting new people.
I have been on "vacation" trips with great expectations and usually ended up disappointed, bored, and tired.
I do not understand going for the sake of going.
All I hear most of them talk about is where they ate and what they ate. I eat right here just fine.

My wife says I do not travel well.

Since I have did the elk hunt. 2-3 weeks seeing Alaska is my next trip. Several years out.

A pheasant or quail hunting trip with a guide/dog handler. Or a fishing trip to somewhere to catch peacock bass.

I don't like vacations where I have to go back to work to rest up, so I really enjoy going to little towns on the coast (Port O'Connor and Port Mansfield are my favorites) and spending some time. Fish if I feel like it, I read a lot, eat good, maybe play some dominoes, and drink beer. Stay up as late as I want, and sleep as late as I feel like. Basically just relax and smell the salt air.

I know you said "if money was no object", but if I could afford to fly to Europe I'd want to do pretty much the same thing when I got there.

My wife and daughters are in Florida as we speak. My son and I, just couldn't go. I travel quit a bit for work, and that seems to have killed my desire to travel. A trip to the NFR, wouldn't be too bad though.

Same hear I travel a lot for work.
I've spent quite a bit of time this summer exploring Oklahoma.
I have a cabin rented this weekend at lake of the arbuckles.
But I've never left the country.

If time and money weren't a factor I'd really like to spent a week or two I'm Bora Bora

I used to have this crazy dream to hike the Appalachian Trail... think that would be pretty neat. But the older I get, the idea doesn't sound so appealing anymore!!

I would like to cruise the inside passage with the wife, and then one of the fly in only lakes . But right now I would settle for a pain free body for a few days .

I have lived my dreams. Started out so poor, we didn't have mice. Been to Alaska, hunted British Columbia and Alberta. Hunted Africa.

The Adirondacks are beautiful as is most of New England. Virginia - MT Rodgers, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Valley. West Virginia - New River Bridge and eastern mountains. Lived where I could get up in the morning, go shoot an elk and come home with it that evening. There is no more stark place than Wyoming except maybe the steppes of Mongolia. Glacier National Park. Bryce Canyon Utah. The high country of Colorado. The badlands of North Dakota. Devils Tower. Rapid City South Dakota and the Black Hills. Denver is the greatest city in America. Red River Gorge Kentucky. Smokey Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.

I believe Yellowstone National Park in the off season is one of the wonders of the world. So much so, I guess I been there 30 times.

Bright Raven":1zyihoup said:
I have lived my dreams. Started out so poor, we didn't have mice. Been to Alaska, hunted British Columbia and Alberta. Hunted Africa.

The Adirondacks are beautiful as is most of New England. Virginia - MT Rodgers, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Valley. West Virginia - New River Bridge and eastern mountains. Lived where I could get up in the morning, go shoot an elk and come home with it that evening. There is no more stark place than Wyoming except maybe the steppes of Mongolia. Glacier National Park. Bryce Canyon Utah. The high country of Colorado. The badlands of North Dakota. Devils Tower. Rapid City South Dakota and the Black Hills. Denver is the greatest city in America. Red River Gorge Kentucky. Smokey Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.

I believe Yellowstone National Park in the off season is one of the wonders of the world. So much so, I guess I been there 30 times.

Well I'm glad you lived a privileged life while the rest of us poor working stiffs slaved away while you jet setted the world.
But seriously I'm just jacking with you.
That seems to be the typical CT response though.

Sounds like you've lived right
Maybe in my next 20 years I can catch up

We're going to do the Alaska cruise thing as a family again for sure. All my dream vacations call for me to leave the US of A and that's not happening, so that's my dream I guess.

I did so much traveling in my last job I really really don't know what it's going to take to get me to set foot in another airport.. I'm sure the last decade hasn't made them any more fun. The bright side of that job is I saw a lot of landmarks I'd have otherwise probably never seen.. I've been to Pikes peak, Yosemite, Death Valley, etc.
Not a great fan of boating either, so that really reduces my options for vacations.

I'd like a few days just to visit a small town, get up in the morning in a motel, go down to breakfast, then spend the morning on a bench by the courthouse watching and talking to people. Just take it easy a few days.
(Seen all the rest of the world outside this country I ever care to see)

Since I hate flying and really do not enjoy going up into the mountains my favorite would be renting a large house on the lake in Arkansas and fishing boating and enjoying family and grandkids for the week. I do love to water ski but has been many years. I liked what the previous poster said about over fifty on beach but I now where shorts. LoL.

Latest posts