Went on vacation last week

Help Support CattleToday:

Spent several days with some friends camped on the beach at Port Aransas back around 2003-2004. Never again.
Might have been ok if wife and I had been alone but I don't think so.

Spent 2 weeks drilling a well on some ranch just East of and between Seadrift and Port O'Conner in the 80s. I think the sign said Pitchfork but it's been too long now.
The best thing about Seadrift back then was the 'all you can eat seafood buffet they had at a cafe there in town. I ate there every day. It was $12 back then. Probably $30 now if it's even still there.

I stopped in a little bar just west of that cafe one afternoon and ordered a beer. Not many people in it, all locals and after a few minutes, a woman came over and sat down next to me and started talking, asking who I was etc, how long I would be in town etc. I thought I was doing good then she went back over where she had been sitting and I heard her tell her friends they could go ahead and unload the boat that night and I was just an oilfield hand on the rig out of town. Evidently, drug running was a common thing there and they didn't trust strangers.

Last edited:
Spent several days with some friends camped on the beach at Port Aransas back around 2003-2004. Never again.
Might have been ok if wife and I had been alone but I don't think so.

Spent 2 weeks drilling a well on some ranch just East of and between Seadrift and Port O'Conner in the 80s. I think the sign said Pitchfork but it's been too long now.
The best thing about Seadrift back then was the 'all you can eat seafood buffet they had at a cafe there in town. I ate there every day. It was $12 back then. Probably $30 now if it's even still there.

I stopped in a little bar just west of that cafe one afternoon and ordered a beer. Not many people in it, all locals and after a few minutes, a woman came over and sat down next to me and started talking, asking who I was etc, how long I would be in town etc. I thought I was doing good then she went back over where she had been sitting and I heard her tell her friends they could go ahead and unload the boat that night and I was just an oilfield hand on the rig out of town. Evidently, drug running was a common thing there and they didn't trust strangers.
The Welder family owned all the country between Sea Drift and POC, east of 285, to the ICW. I think it's around 15k acres.

Cathy's in POC is great. Barketts use to be the place in Sea Drift but it's gone down hill a lot. There are some other decent places also.

We were drilling about where the arrow points. About 200 yards off highway 185. The property south of 185 belonged to one person, and the property north of 185 belonged to someone else. I'm almost sure the sign said pitchfork but heck, it's been 40 years ago now. That was the same time the Vietnamese boat people and Texas shrimpers were shooting at each other.

seadrift tx.jpg

We were drilling about where the arrow points. About 200 yards off highway 185. The property south of 185 belonged to one person, and the property north of 185 belonged to someone else. I'm almost sure the sign said pitchfork but heck, it's been 40 years ago now. That was the same time the Vietnamese boat people and Texas shrimpers were shooting at each other.

View attachment 9083

Dont think you were far enough east to be on the Welder country I was talking about. It started around the road to Charlie's Bait Camp and went to POC. I was trying to picture it from memory and not looking at a map and it shows. 😄

It was such natural, beautiful, coastline but now it's getting tracked up, sold off, and ruined with fancy entrances and high fences and other junk. Hopefully mother nature takes it back soon.

Seadrift is a great place to fish out of.

We may not have even been that far East. I could see buildings in Seadrift from the rig floor. I did enjoy the cool breezes on that job butt he skeeters were plentiful after dark.

The Welder family owned all the country between Sea Drift and POC, east of 285, to the ICW. I think it's around 15k acres.

Cathy's in POC is great. Barketts use to be the place in Sea Drift but it's gone down hill a lot. There are some other decent places also.

Cathy's is good. I have a friend who was a guide at POC for years. I started going down there fishing with him about 20 years ago.

Latest posts