Draining Tractor Fuel Tanks ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Had a slow evening and looked up some things in a JD tractor manual. They recommend draining the fuel tank every 500 hours.

Have you been doing this, and what did you find?

Did you filter and use the fuel or dump it?

Last edited:
Had a slow evening and looked up some things in a JD tractor manual. They recommend draining the fuel tank every 500 hours.

Read a little more
Your supposed to have John Deere come out and do that.

No I never have. If my fuel supplier is bringing me fuel that dirty then we have a different problem. At $5+ a gallon yeah I would filter it and re use.

drain it if it's got a problem.. our IH684 had something in the tank that would clog up the lines, not sure what it was but it was a sumbitch to clear..
We had a small yard tractor with a plastic elbow for the fuel tank outlet.. it was poorly cast and there was a big piece of casting flash that would clog up with the slightest bit of dirt.. one of those problems that's so hard to find!

It is a seasonal disorder.
You have a finite amount of time. Use it wisely! The day will come when the days and even years seem to fly by.

I've never drained a tank unless something was wrong and over the decades I worked for a Komatsu distributor/repair company, Ford tractor dealership and Kubota dealership/shop and nearly 20 years as a mechanic for an O&G drilling company. Never once had a customer come in to have a fuel tank drained as a preventative measure and would have lost my job if I started draining tanks in the oil patch.

I did occasionally siphon some fuel off the bottom of the tank into a glass jar and swirl the jar around to create a vortex in the fuel. You can then see particle and water contaminates. Learned that pre-flighting aircraft that used JP5. It was required before every flight.

had slime/bacteria in my tank...never heard of it b4...drained tank(JD 90 hp utility tractor)...treated with Killem to kill slime and so far so good...62yrs old farmed for 50yrs(with my dad as a son and on my own)....there are other treatments, but use some treatment to your diesel storage tanks/tractors...it is real..i learned a hard lesson late in life....

Wouldn't do it myself. Remember being berated by a person at the auto shop for not putting the best 'oil' in my car when I first bought it. Said I would wear the engine out quicker. At 231000 miles. Engine still has power and is smooth.

Diesels are even more durable. The only thing I'd be careful about is making sure the hydraulic fluid is up to spec if it is a hydrostatic. Other than that, be wary of invented servicing designed to 'give you peace of mind' by increasing your maintenance costs needlessly…

Diesels maybe "more durable" but their fuel systems are not. Expecially the newer you get. Clean filtered fuel is essential.

I can't count the amount of equipment I service in a year that are a result of garbage fuel. Sludge, dirt, water, debris, etc. The lucky ones are fixed with new fuel and multiple filter changes. The unlucky ones need lift pumps, injector pumps, injectors, CP3 pumps, high pressure fuel pumps, etc.

Bad fuel is very costly.

Diesels maybe "more durable" but their fuel systems are not. Expecially the newer you get. Clean filtered fuel is essential.

I can't count the amount of equipment I service in a year that are a result of garbage fuel. Sludge, dirt, water, debris, etc. The lucky ones are fixed with new fuel and multiple filter changes. The unlucky ones need lift pumps, injector pumps, injectors, CP3 pumps, high pressure fuel pumps, etc.

Bad fuel is very costly.
I represented a friend of mine once in a case where his fuel supplier brought him water-contaminated diesel. Water will play havoc with a diesel engine. That is why I occasionally use an additive to remove even the slightest bit of condensation from my tanks.

I represented a friend of mine once in a case where his fuel supplier brought him water-contaminated diesel. Water will play havoc with a diesel engine. That is why I occasionally use an additive to remove even the slightest bit of condensation from my tanks.
My tractor has a water bowl/cup with a float ring that indicates water. It would let you know if water is in the diesel. Also, I'd imagine that modern gas stations probably take precautions. Never heard of it being a problem from any of my buddies, but then again, Texas seems to be drier than most places.

Latest posts