Dove hunting.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
Last Saturday was opening day in FL.

I got invited to the Citrus County Cattlemans Association 3rd annual dove shoot. It was to raise money to finish constructing their building near Floral City. They are the only Cattlemans association in the state with their own building. Great bunch of folks.

There were 85 hunters. I got my limit but most hunters did not due see many come by their station (luck of the draw). I got lucky and drew the hot area where the birds wanted to be.

When we got there about 12:30 they started us with boiled peanuts then at 1 we were served a great all you can eat BBQ.

dovehunting042vp0.jpg

dovehunting046xu1.jpg

dovehunting050iy1.jpg

Some we stuffed into peppers with goat cheese and cream cheese then wrapped the pepper in bacon. Others, we just wrapped the birds in bacon.
Ready for the grill.
dovehunting047pn6.jpg

The ladies of the Cattlemans association made home made desserts.

dovehunting006su4.jpg

After pigging out on BBQ a few of the Lake County crew is waiting for the convoy to the fields a few miles away.
dovehunting002dj1.jpg

The convoy reaches the field:
dovehunting019qs2.jpg

Me (on left) and my buddy from high school listening to the Gator game and smoking some ceegars during the lull in the bird action.

dovehunting025gw3.jpg

More random pics: This was a huge hunt. 85 hunters not counting the kids. kids were free and encouraged to be brought.

dovehunting012uo6.jpg

More pics no certain order:

end of the day one of my buddies dogs
dovehunting045eg7.jpg

This guy was way in the back of the fields and no birds were coming his way. I waved him up to our hay bale. He got a few after that. After chatting, found out he was my neighbor in Lake County and is a deputy on the Lake County swat team. The birds had no chance against him.

dovehunting035fp3.jpg

waiting for the birds in the shade and cover of a big oak
dovehunting027jd7.jpg

The birds loved this dead tree in front of me.
dovehunting029pw0.jpg

William Henderson and Bailey Cauldwell, the two owners of Oakwood Smokehouse BBQ restaurants have some ceegars before the hunt begins.
dovehunting015zd9.jpg

#85 my assigned hay station

dovehunting021gy5.jpg

Craig Hollingsworth looks for his downed bird.
dovehunting033bi5.jpg

The sun begins to set on another awesome Florida day.

dovehunting031nx2.jpg

After the hunt, from left to right, Craig Hollingsworth, Lee Woods, Roger Croft standing with the president of the Cattlemans Association, John Thomas of Inverness. Not sure who is on the right of him in the camo. I think it might be Hughes (sp?) Powers of powers Dairy in Umatilla.

dovehunting044ti4.jpg

-----------

Part 2

Got invited to a different hunt today. In Wildwood.

Best dove hunt I have ever been on. Flew like crazy. Dozens of hunters there. I got there late at 4:40 P.M. Left at 6:15 P.M. with my limit. Breasted them in a bucket of water while I watch Gators/Auburn and then threw a few on the grill just now for a snack. Two stuffed in a pepper with cream and goat cheeses and two just wrapped in bacon.
dovehunt2003yv0.jpg

dovehunt2004tk4.jpg

dovehunt2005bd6.jpg

Ricker, Looks like you had a great hunt with some good company and some really good looking food. Great pics

Ricker,

Nice pics and nice hunting it seems. We took a dove hunt to just north of the Mexican border in Texas one year and had a great time hunting white wing doves. Those things were so slow and huge, it was easy compared to our local doves.

I've noticed that there is a new bigger dove coming in the area more often though. The smaller (mourning I think) "native" doves are still around, but the bigger ones are moving in. They have a white ring around the back of their neck, and are much tamer than the natives.

What type of shotgun are you using? Looks similar to a Rem. 1100 I have but the stock looks nicer.

cypressfarms":20o0yhg3 said:
I've noticed that there is a new bigger dove coming in the area more often though. The smaller (mourning I think) "native" doves are still around, but the bigger ones are moving in. They have a white ring around the back of their neck, and are much tamer than the natives.
The larger ones that you are talking about are known as RingNecks.I am told that they will destroy the young mourning doves, and there is no limit on them during Dove season and you only have to have the head and 1 wing attached to the body to prove what they are in case you get checked by the game warden. Same goes for any that is in your fereezer. Check state and local laws to be sure.

la4angus":24rcfidi said:
cypressfarms":24rcfidi said:
The larger ones that you are talking about are known as RingNecks.I am told that they will destroy the young mourning doves, and there is no limit on them during Dove season and you only have to have the head and 1 wing attached to the body to prove what they are in case you get checked by the game warden. Same goes for any that is in your fereezer. Check state and local laws to be sure.

Thanks LA,

Your so close to me that I'm sure it's the same here. We're only a few parishes apart. I'll call the local game warden tomorrow - if so, then I'll be taking a bunch out soon. No limit is my kind of limit. Are they some type of "foreign" species?

If I know Warpaint, his nose will start smelling in the air, because We'll just have to have a dove gumbo with these fronts coming through.

LA, did you parents cook gumbo when the cold fronts would come through?? Man, that brings back some good memories.

Two years ago when we were still at Jourdanton I took off from the house on opening day and went into Pleasanton and then back over to Jourdanton. I headed back to the house on a street that runs north/south just inside the city limits. There had to have been 1000 doves on the high line and in the street. There's pasture (about 40/50 acres) that runs along the city limits right in that area. I turned the corner and there were maybe twenty hunters standing there waiting for a shot.

Doves ain't dumb. :lol: :lol: :lol: Z

cypressfarms":201d5cq9 said:
Ricker,

What type of shotgun are you using? Looks similar to a Rem. 1100 I have but the stock looks nicer.

That gun is a Benelli M2 12 GA. I just bought it. Still getting used to it but I did pop two birds flying together Saturday! One shot for each bird so not really a double I guess.

Still have a rem 1100 too.

Ricker":28997uxs said:
cypressfarms":28997uxs said:
Ricker,

That gun is a Benelli M2 12 GA. I just bought it. Still getting used to it but I did pop two birds flying together Saturday! One shot for each bird so not really a double I guess.

Still have a rem 1100 too.

Them birds are way to fast for me, ;-)

cypressfarms":59wbn45y said:
If I know Warpaint, his nose will start smelling in the air, because We'll just have to have a dove gumbo with these fronts coming through.

Don't forget the save the brains for Warpaint...he'll make a new recipe...bird brain gumbo!

Caustic Burno":18d6b5ju said:
Ricker":18d6b5ju said:
cypressfarms":18d6b5ju said:
Ricker,Them birds are way to fast for me, ;-)

Yeah, me too! I average 2 birds for 1 box of shells with my 16 guage. But it sure is a lot of fun when you have a line of hunters, each one yelling birds as they come in and fly over one hunter to the next and on down the line untouched!

I love to watch the bird dogs work, too.

Ricker":j2wi07qa said:
Yeah those birds took a few shells for me to hit for sure. I missed many more than I hit. :lol:

We STILL want to hear the Florida vs. Auburn score. :lol:

cypressfarms":1vokpq0c said:
LA, did you parents cook gumbo when the cold fronts would come through?? Man, that brings back some good memories.
My mother did and we do now. Donna had to learn after we had been married just a few years. Now my mother says that Donna makes a better Gumbo than any Cajun she has ever seen. She does too.

MikeC":207rz5dw said:
Ricker":207rz5dw said:
Yeah those birds took a few shells for me to hit for sure. I missed many more than I hit. :lol:

I was hoping he had found that out by himself by now. :lol:

Yes, you guys gave us a whooping. I bet ya'll had some fun that night celebrating. Just wait til next year. :p

Ricker":34ndjck9 said:
MikeC":34ndjck9 said:
Ricker":34ndjck9 said:

I was hoping he had found that out by himself by now. :lol:

Yes, you guys gave us a whooping. I bet ya'll had some fun that night celebrating. Just wait til next year. :p

You're a good sport. ;-)

Latest posts