Don't think I can go wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Talked to a gal that wants to sell 2 of her Reg. Hereford show heifers. Halter broke, and bred to her Reg. Hereford bull for May and June calves.

She said she wants $1650 a piece, Fine I said call me when you get home.

I don't think I can go wrong, Boy will they stand out in the pasture!! Sure hope she calls back.

Just unloaded them just before dark, walked them by halter to the holding area.

Several ribbons between the two heifers and tons more for the young lady that raised them (showmanship, state Jr hereford princess, etc ).

Didn't have the heart to tell her I'd be making black baldies next year :hide:

Halter broke for my HOBBY FARM sure works for me.

tamarack":9pt8wcja said:
Aaron you are selling reg. bred heifers for 1650 ?

No, missed the 'bred' part in the OP. I am referring to heifer calves. I wouldn't sell bred heifers for less than $2500.

Aaron":2vr536yn said:
tamarack":2vr536yn said:
Aaron you are selling reg. bred heifers for 1650 ?

No, missed the 'bred' part in the OP. I am referring to heifer calves. I wouldn't sell bred heifers for less than $2500.

Yep, even though every female I own is black or BWF. I think I would have to go into the Hereford BIZ! I already have the Hereford bull! LOL

Aaron, I thought maybe you missed that. As I sold some heifers fresh off the cow for $1800-$1650 bout a month ago. B&G

Have they been checked safe in calf? The reason I ask is because it is not uncommon for halter heifers to be difficult to settle.
Some feed the heifers heavily to get the weight on them to show, and some get too much interior fat and it makes it hard for the egg to pass.
I am not saying all show heifers are this way, but many are, especially those raised by non- farm kids. The veterinarian who bought our daughter's commercial halter heifers at the fair told us that. He bought a lot of heifers to support the kids. He told Elizabeth that he knew that he didn't haven't to worry about hers, mostly because her heifers were kept pastured and had to walk, instead of being stalled like the others.

The heifers may be low priced because they are kept at a school barn. Schools want them gone ASAP after the shows are over.

They were preg checked by vet. Running with the bull the last 4 months.

Chippie they are not over conditioned maybe a pinch thin.

The young lady has put herself through college halter breaking, and showing her grandparents cattle.

The only downside is no bangs vac. I'll wait until after they calve for that.

They haven't seen the barn for 8 months,they've been on pasture since then.

we put the halters on them in the pasture and walk them into the trailer. To me that's worth extra money. :banana:

Sure made it easy to put the pour-on wormer on them when they meet you at the gate. Scoop of grain and done. :nod:

I didn't really need them, just couldn't pass up a good deal.

Latest posts