Donkey with the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a small lease pasture that backs up to some pretty wild woods. I know there are coyotes so I won't run young stock in there. I understand that running a donkey with the cows will help protect them from canine predators. I just bought a 5 year old Jack that is not even halter broken, AND he wants to run the cows. He is gentle and will follow a bucket but that is about the extent of his domestic skills. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since my experience with training equine stock is about 50 years old. Any help would be welcome.<br>Thanks, <br>Mack
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

<p>I'm almost an expert on this subject!<p>First of all, unless the jack you have has always run with cattle, he will probably not work out. And for the reason you've already stated...they like to run the stock. Your best choices are a jenny or a gelding. And even then, you'll need to get one that has run with stock before, or you'll run the same risk.<p>We went through three before we found a gelding that we could use with our heifers. They do tend to keep predators out of your pastures! You don't necessarily have to get one that is halter broke or tame either.
<br>

Eileen;<br>Thanks for your response. From what I gather, you are right on target. As with most things, I manage to learn the hard way. I'll keep looking for a Jenny but I think I'll keep the Jack long enough to make a pet out of him. Maybe I will be able turn a small profit, if he doesn't break me first.<br>Thanks again,<br>Mack<p>: I'm almost an expert on this subject!<p>: First of all, unless the jack you have has always run with cattle, he will probably not work out. And for the reason you've already stated...they like to run the stock. Your best choices are a jenny or a gelding. And even then, you'll need to get one that has run with stock before, or you'll run the same risk.<p>: We went through three before we found a gelding that we could use with our heifers. They do tend to keep predators out of your pastures! You don't necessarily have to get one that is halter broke or tame either.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts