Done with AI

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
After over $1600 in vet fee's and semen, 9 heifers, 2 bred, 3 not and 4 unknown. This is with 2 tries.(the first round only 2 took) I bought a Jersey bull this week from my neighbor to settle the rest. Paid $800 for him. Huge scrotum. Started going to work on the first day.

Sometimes vets may not be the best choice for AI unless that's what they specialize in, unless they get out and do it. Dogs and cats dont give them alot of time to go out.
If you got the 2 and plus maybe 4 it's 66%. What type heifers are these? The cost seems way high, id think $100 per head to even do them twice.

Someone ripped you off. And something went way wrong. Either your AI tech has no clue where the sweet spot is, or your heifers are in poor shape. Either way, industry averages are 60%, with most getting higher than that. 5 out of 9 should have stuck the first time, and 2 more the second go around. Most Semen on the market is $25/dose. To set one up, which only needed to be done once, runs about $35 a heifer. Hire an AI tech to do the job, $20 is about average. If she does not tatick the first time, run her through the second on the natural heat, that is another $25 for Semen and $20 to AI. If you use Semen the AI tech sells, it is usually a lot cheaper....

What FSR said...so many things can go wrong...and it's not always the fault of the inseminator.
Heifers not in good body condition... or not cycling...mineral deficiencies...bad semen(it happens...have experienced it)...poor heat detection (that's where the bull excels!)...insemination too early/late...ambient temps too high resulting in early embryonic death...malfunctioning thaw unit, etc.

You didn't say what you paid for semen, if you did TAI or bred on observed heats; but if you used 'high-dollar' semen, you could get on up toward that $1600 figure pretty quickly...
I rarely spend more than $25/unit... have gone as high as $40... wife paid $135/unit for a particular bull she really wanted to use (got a deal at an auction, as it usually went for $200/unit); but I've seen some old dead bulls in high demand go for upwards of $650/unit...at that price, I'd only be using that for a superovulated flush to (hopefully) produce multiple embryos for ET implantation.

I keep seeing posts about folks having their veterinarian doing AI, or recommending 'have your vet do it' . Granted, I've spent most of my career in the Southeastern US, but I've never personally known another vet who has the time or inclination to be doing AI for the public. Sure, maybe some of the folks who specialize in repro/embryo transfer... but not your typical large animal or mixed practitioner. But maybe they do, elsewhere.
I know I never would have had time to be running all over the county to breed a cow here and there - on time - when I had medical cases to deal with. I had enough on my plate trying to satisfy clients with medical/surgical issues, much less having a disgruntled client over low conception rates - that might or might not have been related to anything I had control over.

I'd lay money that an experienced AI tech is gonna do a better job than most veterinarians, with regard to semen placement... I 'know how' to do it - but I've never passed an insemination gun in my life; I've palpated plenty of cows/heifers in my day... I'm still in awe of anyone who can thread that thing through a heifer's cervix...

My vet(wife) does the AI here - and her conception rates typically run ~85%... but the first year she inseminated our cows, AI conception rates were around 30% - some of that low rate was on her, but some was related to condition of the cows at that time. Practice & experience has improved her success rate substantially, but making sure the cattle are in good body condition and cycling properly - and inseminated at the proper time - is equally as important as competence of the inseminator.

I hung it up to. Same reasons. I dabble in it some now. Observed heat, and inseminating yourself is a pretty cheap method. Actually placing the semen thru the cervix is not that hard. Just gotta get a feel for it. Your basically doing it for the cost semen this way. Give it two tries, then let the bull have his turn.

Jersey bull for low burthweight calf's. Thats the only reason I didn AI was to pick a low birthweight bull and still get premium calf's. I work 70 hours a week running a restaurant and had to pay $6 a day boarding fee's. Out of the 2 times doing AI a total of 3 heifers never went into heat. They are decent heifers. As far as minerals I feed the mineral tubs, premium hay and some cubes. The vet said he had a lower success rate during the hot months of the year. If I ever do AI again it would be if I have registered stock and want to introduce new genetics. I will keep the jersey for all my heifers and rent a bull for the cows. Going to be cheaper in the long run. It averaged $100 per heifer and the semen was $80 shipping I believe.

If I were you, I'd dropping the jersey bull off at sale barn soon as he's done with breeding your current heifers. Unpredictable and ornery when he gets older. I knew few people used jersey bulls but they sold them before their second birthday.

BK9954":2pa1e3t3 said:

Thats why I dehorned him. He is moody and not scared of me.
Doesn't matter if they're polled, they can still hurt you. Moody and not scared of you are very bad signs.

For sure. The guy I bought him from had to hit him in the face to get him to move. I wave a 6 foot 2x4 to move him. Dont have a whip. He will serve his purpose for the next year. I have some young heifers that will be ready in a year. After that I will sell him.

BK9954":yh93etdl said:
For sure. The guy I bought him from had to hit him in the face to get him to move. I wave a 6 foot 2x4 to move him. Dont have a whip. He will serve his purpose for the next year. I have some young heifers that will be ready in a year. After that I will sell him.
I would strongly recommend to sell him as soon as possible and start to looking for a better bull.

Muddy":1mmqdpjy said:
BK9954":1mmqdpjy said:
I would strongly recommend to sell him as soon as possible and start to looking for a better bull.

He did not ask for your recommendation.

I was considering AI for my virgin heifers but my vet said the virgins are harder to impregnate by AI so I'll have to rent a good young angus bull in the Ft. Worth area.

I think the class at Bovine Elite is about $450. Well worth the money even if you just do a small number of cows every year. That being said, heifers are finicky. I got 50% on ours this year on one try, but usually get 90-100% on cows. If you can see any ribs on a heifer, you'll just be throwing your money away trying to AI them. In the future, it might not hurt to pull them all in a couple months before breeding season and put patches on them to get an idea on how many are cycling. If you don't see many rubbed in the first three weeks or so, it might not hurt to feed them a bit to help them along. Something high fat/energy. That's what pushes reproduction.

I may take the class at bovine elite. Thats who I bought the semen from. They had patches. The three that didnt go into heat the week I had them at the vet went into heat the next week while I was working. If what your saying is true it sounds like I should have taken them to the feedlot for a month before.

garyws":2ow6cx4y said:
I was considering AI for my virgin heifers but my vet said the virgins are harder to impregnate by AI so I'll have to rent a good young angus bull in the Ft. Worth area.
Get a hold of an actual AI tech. Heifers are no harder to get settled by an experienced tech then a cow is.

Latest posts