Dog training tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

ben2008

Reaction score
hey everyone, i was just wondering if any of ya'll know of any good books or just some good tips to help me train my Blue Heeler, she will be 2 years old in september. I primarily want her to follow comands better such as; left, right, down, stop and get 'em and just general herding she's extreamly hyper so it makes it a little difficult sometimes, i was also wondering if this hyperness will wear off as she gets older or if its here to stay? either way i love this little girl to death she's an awesome dog!!! thanks alot, ben.

Start with simple things. Teach that dog to sit and stay first off. Teach it to "load up" on the tail gate. Use hand commands along with voice commands.

Get it leash broke. When you get ready to do the left and right thing, have someone with it on a leash and use hand commands along with voice commands. Point left and right with your dog looking at you. Teach it to circle your pick-up, stock tanks, the barn etc.

Check its instincts. Only about 20% of dogs are worthy of the effort.

I use to teach hunting dogs and used an old book by Wolters (I think) called "Gun Dog". That how I got my basics for dogs and used a lot of the techniques for cow dog training.

Once a dog figures out you are trying to teach it something, you can teach it anything. It will recognize you are alpha.

how would i go about "checking her instincts". She acts like she has a desire to heel, would that be an indication of an istinct or is there somthing more than that? also has anyone heard of or read the book HEELER POWER or TRAINING A STOCKDOG FOR BEGINNERS ? im thinking about purchasing them from http://www.dogwise.com and im just wondering if they would be worth the money. Thanks for all of your help, ben.

ben2008":bvm8ydx9 said:
how would i go about "checking her instincts". She acts like she has a desire to heel, would that be an indication of an istinct

I'd say the desire is a good start. You don't want her to heel if the cows are pushing correctly. You don't want her going to work the cows without you either.

I don't know about the books you cited.

Generally if you go to the sale barns, you'll see some heelers hanging out in the shade right there were their owners commanded them to stay. I'd talk to an owner if I were you. One who has a really good dog.

i worked with her today and tried to get her up into the truck but she would not go, stayed about 10 feet from it at all times i even tried bribing her with dog treats but she still wouldnt get close. could it be that she has a bad memory of riding in it, such as taking her to the vet or anything like that? also i've seen pictures of other members dogs "guarding the gate" is that something that you have taught them or is it just something they developed after a while of doing it? thanks for all your guys help it great!!! ben.

how long have you had her?

Start with basic obedience commands - sit, down, stay, here, etc. Build her trust in you.

As far as the truck - take her for short rides in it and play after the ride and during the ride. For example, put her in the truck, go out to the pasture, take her out, play. Put her in the truck, go to a different spot, take her out, play. Go home and do the same. Soon, she will think riding in the truck means fun and you'll have trouble keeping her out of the truck. Don't go on long rides until she likes getting in the truck.

Heelers are typically aggressive personalities and very territorial. Once she trusts you completely, she will naturally guard your house.

She's got most basic obediance down pretty good, sometimes she gets a little excited and doesnt want to stay put for very long ill try out the truck tip, hopefully it works out. Thanks alot, ben.

back when I didn't work on the farm and actually had some free time - I used to teach obedience and agility classes, some of my big things were

consistency - pick one name for a command and stick to it - it doesn't matter if you want the dog to sit and you say the word "green" as long as everytime, you say "green"
I use "off" for get off of me and get off of the porch - pretty funny when someone else tells my labs to get down and they lay down on the porch

don't call a dog to you and then reprimand or punish it for something it has done - they only thing you will have accomplished is to teach the dog that minding you and coming to you is a very bad thing - this is hard - a pet peeve and I still catch myself in the act
example: if the dog won't come to you, have someone else catch the dog and hold it - then because the dog didn't come to you - you are free to reprimand.

also - try very hard to not allow a dog to get away with things you don't want them to do - example: chasing cows, chasing cars, nipping at heels -
do everything you can to prevent it - it won't matter that you catch them once and let them know the behaviour is unacceptable - what about the 199 other times that you didn't catch them

best advice you have gotten so far is buy a border collies.if your dead set on the heeler it can be done just takes twice as long. on loading in the truck. back the truck up to somthing where it is only a foot or so off the ground.put a rope on the dog give your command( i use the word load) as you are walking toward the truck when you get to the truck lift on the rope and put the dog in the truck pet her and make a fuss over her in the truck. then go back and do it again.the dog might twist round alittle as you put it in the truck the first time or two but its amazing how fast they pick it up .use the same command every time and dont give up . just before the time a dog figures out what you want is when most people give up.a good dog is an asset that you will never do with out once you have one.remember you are the leader dont beg your dog to do somthing if you cannt inforce the command dont give the command. :cboy:

Here's something I like to use(works on kids,too).Spend as much time telling them they did something right when they do as you spend telling them they did something wrong. Another thing you might try is to catch them doing something you want and giving the same command and praise.I started taling my border with me everywhere appropriate when he was six weeks old and talking to him.He turned out real well especialy when you figure I didn't know any more about training than he did.

ben2008":3oorlace said:
i worked with her today and tried to get her up into the truck but she would not go, stayed about 10 feet from it at all times i even tried bribing her with dog treats but she still wouldnt get close. could it be that she has a bad memory of riding in it, such as taking her to the vet or anything like that? also i've seen pictures of other members dogs "guarding the gate" is that something that you have taught them or is it just something they developed after a while of doing it? thanks for all your guys help it great!!! ben.
Hey Ben,
I have a blue heeler that is just a wonderful dog to have on our ranch. She loves riding in my trucks.. but she does not like getting up into the higher ones. She also loves "guarding the gates" when I open and close them. She is the best at helping me round up my cattle...and chickens when I need them rounded up too. All of this she did with ease, and just me continually working with her and using the same commands. Most healers have great instincts as to what to do, and how to do it....

ben2008":3nb06xrk said:
hey everyone, i was just wondering if any of ya'll know of any good books or just some good tips to help me train my Blue Heeler, she will be 2 years old in september.

The best dog training book I ever read was written by an order of monks who bred, raised, trained, and sold German Shepherds to supplement their income. I cannot remember the name of the book, and my ex loaned it to a friend of his (without my knowledge or permission, I might add) and I never saw it again.

I primarily want her to follow comands better such as; left, right, down, stop and get 'em and just general herding she's extreamly hyper so it makes it a little difficult sometimes, i was also wondering if this hyperness will wear off as she gets older or if its here to stay?

Consistency, and patience is the key for this one. Find a signal, stick with it, correct her when she makes a mistake, and praise her lavishly when she does it right. Do not ever call her to you and then punish her for something, as you will destroy her trust in you. I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't want to please, it's just a matter of being able to 'tell' the dog what you're wanting. If she is hyper at 2 years old, I'm thinking it's not something she will 'outgrow'. :lol: But, I've been wrong before, and I undoubtedly will be again. ;-)

Latest posts