Cold weather tips

Help Support CattleToday:

All good suggestions; kitty litter, cornmeal, child's playground sand, wood ashes out of the stove is a northern favorite..... clorox or bleach...... I try to keep a bag of kitty litter in the car to put under a wheel if traction is bad....

Black Diamond coal slag, used for blasting metal, makes a good traction product. We have a U.S. Minerals plant near the power plant, and the county buys it bulk to put on hilly roads in the winter.

Agree @Silver ......, but since I clean my floors, and the boots come off in the entrance way, then can get carried in to a warmer room, I will still go for the wood ashes.... beats falling and busting your a$$ or breaking something.

Agree @Silver ......, but since I clean my floors, and the boots come off in the entrance way, then can get carried in to a warmer room, I will still go for the wood ashes.... beats falling and busting your a$$ or breaking something.
Well that makes sense. I on the other hand will take my chances with the ice. I may fall down and bust my a$$, and I may not. But I do know with a fair degree of certainty how it will turn out if I track that stuff into the house 🤣
But on a serious note, I do keep traction aids on hand, and put them on my boots when things are icy. They are the handiest things around. Something like this:
1613703666002.png

All good suggestions; kitty litter, cornmeal, child's playground sand, wood ashes out of the stove is a northern favorite..... clorox or bleach...... I try to keep a bag of kitty litter in the car to put under a wheel if traction is bad....
We use floor dry from the shop

Well that makes sense. I on the other hand will take my chances with the ice. I may fall down and bust my a$$, and I may not. But I do know with a fair degree of certainty how it will turn out if I track that stuff into the house 🤣
But on a serious note, I do keep traction aids on hand, and put them on my boots when things are icy. They are the handiest things around. Something like this:
View attachment 2429
Surely you don't call those boots. Lol
Too clean and too short.

Subzero here, and while we were better prepped than our neighbors down south, we still have our problems. Tractor has been running non stop at night, shutting it down for a couple hours at a time during the day. We use the Howes additive and k1 kerosene to keep from gelling, with the generator/welder on standby and starting everyday no problem but missed a day and it gelled. Thawed it out in the shop. The biggest inconvenience so far has been the hayspear on the truck froze, thawed it out and flushed, but I guess not good enough, froze right back. Mixed atf and diesel for the refill, so not sure of that solution. Ice on the pond is almost a foot thick, cutting it with a chainsaw with the chain backwards it doesn't throw as much on you. I think a polesaw might be safer, as I fell through at one point after the snow insulated the hole from the day before, not deep thank goodness. We did have a fatality of a fellow trying to get a calf out, very sad. The danger now is the warmup, cows like to go out on the ice, especially if snow covered, and are going to be more likely to fall through as it thaws. Oh, and that dang netwrap! Happy trails.

I've seen some people using a 55 gal barrel tied to a couple of t posts, and burning waste oil , wood, net wrap whatever, and they say it keeps the ice melted for hours, I guess I will try that next time.

Yes and when you get out to the truck or tractor you realize you have to pee and the hose is shrunk and not long enough to get through the cloths. Now give us some advice on that.
Last year I bought Hubby some long undies that were on clearance at Atwood's. Put them on a few days ago, said they were super warm. But natured called while we were at the barn and he had a minor panic attack: there was no pee hole. Presumably, that's why they were so cheap. Later that evening, I rectified the situation with a pair of scissors.;):)

Last year I bought Hubby some long undies that were on clearance at Atwood's. Put them on a few days ago, said they were super warm. But natured called while we were at the barn and he had a minor panic attack: there was no pee hole. Presumably, that's why they were so cheap. Later that evening, I rectified the situation with a pair of scissors.;):)
Cold weather tip: It's faster to go over the fence than to open all of the gates when you're wearing that many layers.

You used the scissors on the long johns I'm guessing.,.

Not really a tip, but I am going to report I went to town today and while I was there ate lunch and dropped a load in their toilet. It was so nice to be able to flush it without 1st having to pour 2 gallons of water in the tank from a bucket....

(it's the little things in life... )

TMI?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::poop: